Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#646   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Has anyone used a pressure cooker with tongues?
Sponsored Links
  #647   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Umm...most of the stuff that you see in the butcher's counter wasn't around back then, either.
Yah... well I think you know what I was getting at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Here is an article that talks about the discovery of 90,000+ plant remains uncovered from an upper paleo site in Israel.
And from this article:
Quote:
the transition to farming in southwest Asia entailed a period during which foragers broadened their resource base to encompass a wide array of foods that were previously ignored in an attempt to overcome food shortages. Although these resources undoubtedly included plants, nearly all BSR hypothesis-inspired research has focused on animals because of a dearth of Upper Paleolithic archaeobotanical assemblages. Now, however, a collection of >90,000 plant remains, recently recovered from the Stone Age site Ohalo II (23,000 B.P.), Israel, offers insights into the plant foods of the late Upper Paleolithic. The staple foods of this assemblage were wild grasses, pushing back the dietary shift to grains some 10,000 years earlier than previously recognized.
Sounds like the HG period that led to the Ag period of human history. I think you know very well that I was referring to what people ate BEFORE this time. AND... Israel is a LONG way south of where my ancestors come from! So, it has been MUCH sooner since these foods were introduced into my genetic adaptation... these foods that were (now repeat after me) previously ignored!!!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Mon, Mar-13-06 at 21:49.
  #648   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 21:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I do wonder what the driving force was that caused humanity to start using grains as a primary food source. Some environmental factor must have changed to make hunting/gathering nonproductive.
  #649   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

*Moderator note*

Note to all posters: Discussion of illegal substances is in violation of our forum rules. Any posts that are in violation of our rules will be removed, and the member may lose their posting privileges.
  #650   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:22

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Deleted by poster.

Last edited by TwilightZ : Tue, Mar-14-06 at 00:21.
  #651   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Insulin increases to process amino acids (protein), in additon to glucose.
  #652   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

... Which might be why whenever I eat a very large meal of even pure meat I feel that jolt trembling feeling of an insulin spike...
Never seems to fail :/
  #653   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:56

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Since when?
  #654   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 00:07

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

No problem- it is not worth discussing, IMHO.

Hmmm- 'chillies are very high in vitamin C.'. Really? What constitutes 'high'?

Ok, let's say 2% for argument, likely it is far less, however. At 2%, an average spicing quantity of ~one gm. would provide a massive 20 mg! I use that amount in my foods as a bit of flavour about once a week. Forget about C- it is not needed in a rare or raw meat diet. C may not actually be the best thing to prevent scurvy, a 'deficiency syndrome'- the true mechanism of which is still mysterious.

The 'insulin mechanism' is a part of our excellent 'emergency survival' provisions. Insulin has side effects which damage ALL animals over time, however- herbivores are very short lived whereas carnivores are very long lived.

SOME cancer cells are very glucose-avid and need high levels of it to grow. Glucose does not cause cells to become cancerous, removal of carbs from the diet will not 'cure' any cancer- would that such a fairy tale were true. I might be curious about where anyone could find such nonsense, but I really don't much care, it is so outrageous a claim as to just seem silly.

Several grams of 52% mercury amalgam in your teeth leaking into your body 24/7 is hardly equivalent to a few milligrams of mercury bound up in thiomersal, injected once a year- you are suffering from a propaganda overload.

I suggest the questioner re read my posts as I have said not once but several times here that you are born without a taste for anything, but with a sucking instinct. Human milk is sweet. Get the drift?

So you think that stone age hunting was not intense, protracted physical activity?

I know the prime importance of strenuous exercise because my activity levels have varied a lot and have not been constant nor specific in kind for all of my 47 years in this lifestyle, and all times with reduced or limited exercise brought on discomfort and reduced fitness.

In reading my posts, you first need to understand that what I say is based on long term experience. I do not indulge in conjecture.

Slice the tongue crosswise nice and thin and eat with mustard. Very nicely marbled with fat. Tongue is usually the very first meat a hunter- animal or human- eats on killing prey. Beef tongue's taste is unique, very rich and 'creamy-smooth' in texture, soft but firm, never 'chewy'. Not at all like other beef. It is best to lightly simmer (not boil) it for an hour or so- braising it will turn it in to something like leather, as will rapid boiling.

I have never heard of anyone using a pressure cooker, it runs way too hot (15 psi = 250F).

You MUST peel it at once while still hot/warm, or the heavy rough skin will stick tight like glue and you will have to shave it off. Before it cools, however, it should pull off easily. Keeps best submerged in the water it was cooked in (in the fridge, of course).

You know, I suggest all you non-cooks get a copy of the venerated classic book The Joy of Cooking. It covers just about any and all things people eat and has a lot of basic info on meats of all kinds. Understand- ALL cookbooks are chock full of carb-intensive recipes. I only suggest it so you can look up and find out information about each kind of meat and the ways peopole traditionally prepare them. Under brains,for instance, it recommends first parboiling all kinds, but I have found that lamb's brains are ok fried without this extra step.

Never look too closely at your food! That is why we invented sauces. Squid heads and tentacles are the best and tastiest part- for some weird reason Americans toss them out- and only eat the rubber-like chewy part which has very little flavour.
  #655   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 00:29

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Bear, I tried your chicken recipe for dinner tonight, with the cream cheese and butter under the skin. It was delicious!!! I used a chive and onion flavored cream cheese and added a little garlic powder. I highly recommend this recipe.
  #656   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 00:42

BF:
Progress:

I see my answers were not understood or accepted. Perhaps the questions were not clearly enough stated, so the answers based on them were not what was expected, but never mind, let's move on. I am not going to go over it all again, and anyway, it has little to add to this thread.

Why does a necessary hormone for glucose control damage the tissues? Why, if sunlight is necessary for Vit D, does it cause skin damage? I don't think there is an answer to rhetorical questions like this, and what difference does it make? It is what it is, and the best thing is to minimise the exposure, and live with the damage that level causes.

As a case in point, if you suffer a stroke and blood leaks into the brain tissues, why does the immune system destroy great numbers of perfectly healthy brain cells as it cleans up the damaged ones? There are many defensive mechanisms in the body which do some damage as they perform necessary functions, sometimes they cause nearly as much bad as good, but it is what it is, a product of evolution. Perhaps further along the evolutionary timeline our bodies may correct this. I cannot say- it is pure conjecture, not my thing.

'Organisms' in a flu vaccine? The only vaccine today with a live virus is polio. Or do you consider any part of a virus as 'an organism'? How do you expect to go from the mercury in dental restoration to flu shots in one sentence and NOT be taken as pointing out the usual mercurial agent used to invoke an immune response???

I am sorry you feel pain on exercising, perhaps you should find a better trainer. I do not feel pain when I work out, only challenge and exertion. If it hurts, you are doing something wrong. As to why the 'old ones' worked so hard physically in searching for and capturing their prey, well if you don't, you starve. Ever watch kids in a playground? Why would they run around and exhaust themselves if it did not feel so good? I'm sorry, but I interpret your rejection of exercise as good and desirable, as pathological. I also question the direction this line is taking.

Last edited by theBear : Tue, Mar-14-06 at 01:02. Reason: spelling
  #657   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:25

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

anyone ever eat pigs brains??
question..so besides stuff like steak and hamburger..these brains and tongues and tentacles are all no carb also...correct?
  #658   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:39
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Here is an interesting article that shows how, based on our digestive systems, we are a carnivorous species.
  #659   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:42

BF:
Progress:

I would not eat pig's anything.
  #660   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:55

BF:
Progress:

Dean, interesting article. A dog is not strictly speaking a pure carnivore, it is more of an opportunistic feeder- thus the slightly longer gut. If he had chosen a panther (obligate carnivore) which is our size, the intestines etc, would have been a closer match. Perhaps this is one reason why dogs were better able (and willing) than cats to adapt to us as our diet changed. Here in Queensland there are packs of feral dogs who feed on the fallen fruit in avocado orchards!
Closed Thread