Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 07:50

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Thank You!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Nancy! You ANGEL! I've been missing lemon curd since I cracked my first copy of DANDR. I made this on Monday, and it is spot on perfect. I can't thank you enough, really. Even dh likes it, and he's not lc, but the more carbs I can get out of his diet, the better.

<wanders off muttering about trying to make a perfect biscuit without soy or PHO>
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 08:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Horray! Glad you are enjoying it. I know I can't stand to be without it now. I'm buying 3 dozen eggs a week now.

Oh yes, I'm going to try making Mocha Curd sometime too. Num, num! I guess really I should call that a pudding or something.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 10:44
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

As for the cocoa and not cream, I made some using melted butter and cocoa, had to add alittle more sweetner but yummy!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

Just wanted to add my two cents here: you can use any sweetener you like, because the sweetener doesn't lend any thickening properties. It is the eggs that thicken it, the yolks actually. Also, I like to use my lemon curd as a cake and pie filling. One year for my birthday I made an Atkinds pie crust, filled it with a double recipe of lemon curd, topped it with raspberries and then served it with whipped cream. It was really good!

Stacey
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 16:06
Experimenter

BF:

I recently made Lime curd. Super good!

Also, for a quick dessert pick up some frozen raspberries (unsweetened) and serve them on top of the curd (still frozen is fine!).

For those of you who haven't read the entire thread, you don't need to use polydextrose. I never use it any longer. I also add a little lemon extract. It gives it an extra dimension of lemoniness.

I haven't really had any successes with chocolate curd. Every time I try it it comes out kind of bumpy, as if it were curdling. I can't figure out why since I cook it to the same temperature.

Well, next time I make it perhaps I'll use all chocolate bar (low sugar sort) cut with some coconut milk, premelted and stir it into the vanilla curd.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Apr-10-07 at 16:14.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 08:11
Experimenter

BF:

Over the years my technique for making lemon curd has gotten much simpler.

I now make much bigger portions of it. I use 6-8 eggs, 1/4-1/3 cup of lemon juice, and Splenda (liquid or dry), optionally some vanilla extract or vanilla da vinci. I taste it to get the right amount of sweetness before cooking, however, make it a little sweeter than you want it because cooking always makes things less sweet, IMHO.

I use my sous vide system to cook it. 20 minutes at 165 seems to work fine. However, one can do it on the stovetop as well.