Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 11:37

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 245/235/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Diarrhea... is this normal? Please help

I was on Atkins many years ago, back in college, with fantastic results and don't really remember any side effects. I'm 30 now and, of course, since then I've gained the weight back and then some.

I decided to go back on Atkins to see if I could lose weight again. I'm almost to my third week and have lost only 10 pounds so far (a disappointing amount considering I have 50 or more pounds to lose).

The following will be graphic:

The truly worrisome issue, however, is that just this week I've developed daily diarrhea. I have not had a normal bowel movement in many days. Not only is every bowel movement loose but the urge to defecate comes on very suddenly (sometimes soon after eating, sometimes completely out of the blue) and I have a very short amount of time to rush to the bathroom to have explosive diarrhea. Not very much comes out, either.

I was on the induction phase of Atkins for 2 weeks without these symptoms and now in this third week I've been having urgency to defecate as soon as I wake up in the morning and proceed to pass loose stool followed by later in the day, usually after eating but not always, feeling the urgency to defecate and again passing loose, sometimes explosive, stool. Every bowel movement this week has followed this pattern (urgency to defecate followed by loose, sometimes explosive, stool).

I even went to the emergency room where they ran a blood, urine, and abdominal CAT scan with contrast all of which were normal.

Could it be the low-carbohydrate diet causing this diarrhea after 2 weeks without such issues? I'm only 30 years old and do not want to have to wear diapers or fear leaving the house due to these urgent bowel movements. I'm very concerned, please help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 12:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Less common than constipation, but it is a known side effect.
Have you joined the Keto bandwagon and been adding coconut oil to coffee? Or just eating more oils in general? Eating foods with sugar alcohols? Taking magnesium for electrolytes? If so, adjust amounts of them down.
Can search this forum for other threads on diarrhea.
Here's one of many. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=465335
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 12:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Whenever I make a significant change to my diet I have an adjustment period with my BMs. Initially I was constipated for days, but I've had the opposite happen, too. Things normalize within a few weeks. It is not just low carb vs. not low carb. When I added a significant amount of fiber to my regular routine I had an adjustment period even though it was still just a tweak to my low carb diet. I did very low carb for several months (mostly meat, eggs, & dairy) and there was an adjustment period for that. Adding coconut oil to your diet too quickly can cause your issue. Coconut oil is anti-fungal. If you had a yeast overgrowth issue (as I did) the rapid die-off can make you feel ill and irregular for a short time. And of course you could have just caught some sort of a bug that brought on the diarrhea. Give it a little more time before getting too concerned. Be consistent with your eating and your body will adapt to the new menu. At 3 weeks you are still in that initial adjustment period.

Best of luck to you. 10 lbs is a nice loss. Nothing to complain about there. I have plateaued at the same weight for weeks on end only to have a nice drop proportional to the length of the stall. This is not a race. The scale does what it does. You do what you do. Stick to the plan. Over time you will have the results that you want.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 12:25

BF:
Progress:

Thank you very much for the responses.

I have not added any coconut oil to my diet.

I have bad health anxiety of which I take anti-depressants to treat so I'm hyper-concerned about any changes to my body.

Just to clarify, even though I've been on the diet for two weeks WITHOUT symptoms, the change of diet can still likely be the cause of symptoms appearing every day of the third week?

I should add that I stopped eating dairy (cheese, etc.) as of two days ago and also quit any artificial sweeteners/stevia and am still experiencing the same symptoms.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I too get diarrhea instead of constipation from starting lowcarb. The problem for me lasted weeks and weeks. I get around this little problem by slowly lowering my carbs so my body comfortably adjusts. I add in metamucil which stops the diarrhea too. They make anti-diarrheal medication that helps too.

I'm a little worried because you say explosive diarrhea, that has not been my experience.

There are 2 basic approaches to figuring it out.
1. add carbs back into your diet go to 50 for a couple of days - problem solved, its diet related.

2. see your regular dr. I just finished medical microbiology and half the class was about all the infectious microbes, parasites that affect the GI tract.

Did the hospital take a stool sample?

Infections often have signs and symptoms- excessive weight loss, fever, fatigue, gas, nausea, abdominal pain etc.

Hang in there, you're going to get through this. Tell yourself everything is going to be ok.

Last edited by nawchem : Fri, Jul-28-17 at 13:19.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 14:37

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I always get diarrhea about a week or so into low carb. My sister does too. It can last a few weeks. I find probiotics help. Culturelle brand is decently rated and available in most stores. Personally, I take Now brand, which has to be refrigerated.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 16:35

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for the responses; I truly appreciate each and every one of them.

Since this issue arose I have begun taking a multivitamin, fish oil for omega-3, a probiotic, and apple cider vinegar. None of which have helped yet although it has only been a day or two.

I just purchased some psyllium husk for fiber but have not taken any yet.

What do you guys and girls recommend that I do? Should I get off of Atkins and see if my diarrhea goes away or should I first try taking the psyllium husk whilst consuming very little carbohydrates and see if that helps first? I'm extremely impatient and anxious to know what is wrong and whether or not anything will fix it. I'm going to be unbelievably worried if it is NOT due to the change of diet... I won't know what to do next
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 16:47

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywort8
...Should I get off of Atkins and see if my diarrhea goes away

My answer: Yes!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Plan A. Drink a nice big glass of psyllium.
*Plan B. If you're not better in the morning eat carbs.
Plan C. go on a good for sick tummy diet and go see your doctor.

* If anxiety is really bad start with plan b.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-17, 17:16

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

I do not think diarrhea is normal.
I had "explosive diarrhea "everyday before I gave up carbs.
I would check with my Dr if I were you.