Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 16:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Diet soda

I'd like to know how many Atkins people drink diet cola and how you feel about it, if you're trying to get away from it or accept it as a good occupational aid, so to speak, when doing Atkins.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Apr-30-17 at 17:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 18:25

Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I drink diet soda just about every day. I love soda. I don't know if it is stalling my weight loss yet, I've only lost 6 pounds in a month. I might give it up at some point to see what happens, but I am not ready to. It's one of the only cravings I can actually give in to.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 18:40

BF:

Thanks, Phantomess. I've always stayed away from it as the phosphoric acid is supposed to be erosive to bones and teeth. But 3-4 glasses a week is a real treat for me, breaks the monotony and keeps me out of trouble. 😇
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 23:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I drink about 1 a week. Also 1 diet red bull.
I guess it's a treat on a rushed day. I haven't found it makes me crave more sweets. But I do find it less satisfying than before.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 05:09
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I love diet soda and drink lots of it. It's never affected my weight loss or anything!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 05:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I drink a can or so a day. I also drink a lot of sparkling water and unsweetened ice tea. I don't think it affects my weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 06:32

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm a reformed Diet Coke addict. It took me two months to break the habit. I was having dreams, headaches, etc. I can't touch the stuff ever again. It was significantly stalling my loss. My husband seems to have it with no problems and seems to lose fine on it. I think it causes my body to release insulin. I get the "hangries" on it and the scale stands still.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 07:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Is your question about health or weight loss? Two new studies published in recent months indicate a link for diet soda with stroke and dementia. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017...diet-worse.html
Short-term diet soda may be a benefit helping you to stop drinking sugar sweetened beverages, https://www.dietdoctor.com/real-evi...ion#more-732086. But long-term, I don't touch them nor artificially sweetened foods.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 07:24

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I drank tons of this at first:

gave up all sweeteners and now drink tons of this (pictured to the left):

AS didn't affect my BG or aspirated acetone as far as I could measure, not sure about insulin as I can't measure that. I think it's an innocuous substance (sucralose) but I could be VERY wrong about that. Look back on this post and 10 years and laugh.

Life is much easier and I eat less (as proven to me by my personal observations) by dropping ALL SWEETENERS. - I have less decisions to me, I like that!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 07:45

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

I used to drink diet drinks all of the time but I found that putting something sweet in my mouth just kept resetting my "sweetness scale detector" higher and so Atkins friendly desserts never tasted as good or were as satisfying as they should, I was always adding splenda to make them taste sweet.

Now, I drink lemon water or lemon tea and even unsweetened heavy cream tastes sweet to me.

I'm not sure whether it would stall me or not but I'm trying to reset what I think tastes good and what tastes sweet in this new way of life.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 07:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

AS didn't affect my BG or aspirated acetone as far as I could measure, not sure about insulin as I can't measure that. I think it's an innocuous substance (sucralose) but I could be VERY wrong about that. Look back on this post and 10 years and laugh.

The way I look at it is that since not using AS does no harm I'm better off just avoiding it. Perhaps it is innocuous but I like to avoid it just in case (why take the risk) plus I never could stand the taste of the stuff. For me weight loss is not the only important concern. I focus on overall health and I don't see that artificial sweeteners enhance my health and may even harm it whether or not it effects my weight.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Is your question about health or weight loss? Two new studies published in recent months indicate a link for diet soda with stroke and dementia. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017...diet-worse.html
Short-term diet soda may be a benefit helping you to stop drinking sugar sweetened beverages, https://www.dietdoctor.com/real-evi...ion#more-732086. But long-term, I don't touch them nor artificially sweetened foods.

Hi, Janet. Thanks. My concern is more health related. I've always shied away from diet soda, especially colas because of the erosive phosphoric acid. I have pretty healthy bones and teeth at 62 and want to keep them that way for the next few decades. BUT - diet Pepsi (now sweetened with Splenda) satisfies me so well as an occasional snack or treat while I get used to Atkins that I tend to think it'll be okay for the time being. I guess I was just looking for some reassurance. It's "acceptable" from an Atkins standpoint but I'm leery of it otherwise.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 08:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Diet soda never affected my weightloss and doesn't cause me sugar cravings (it is the only sweet thing I consume), but I did cut down from ~4 litres per day to ~500 ml to greatly reduce my chemical intake. Instead I drink coffee in the morning and green or herb teas most of the day (I often make extra & put in the fridge to drink later cold). I have a SodaStream machine to make fizzy water and will add a packet of "True Lemon", Lime or Orange plain or with a tiny amount of stevia.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 08:19

BF:

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on this! (No pun intended). I tend to lean toward water, sparkling water, green tea, herb tea, and decaf coffee - probably in that order of frequency. But an occasional 8-12 oz. glass of diet cherry Pepsi is like dessert for me.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, May-01-17 at 08:36.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-04-17, 17:15
Registered Member

Stats: 330/320/280 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I go out with my wife maybe everyother week and have a few drinks with diet Coke. I have Bacardi or Cruzan Rum. Usually have 3 or 4, but that is all the diet soda I drink. I do however have some fruit punch by 4C that is made with Splenda. Usually have one a day or every other. The fruit punch has really helped me as I have a sweet tooth, I love sweets so that gives me a bit of sweetness and keeps me from deserts. It is a packet like Crystal Lite. Really good if you are looking for a diet soda alternative.