Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Thinking about eating ribs every day

I currently just eat beef and pork with spinach and butter. I am wondering if its okay to eat ribs every day in place of the pork and beef I eat? Many people consider ribs to be unhealthy but I'm guessing eating them every day on keto is fine? Any concerns here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 16:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Go for it! I've cooked up a bunch of them, put them in storage containers and into the freezer, pulling out ribs every day and eating. I have about 6 containers full of fat, bones and rib meat in my freezer waiting for me to have a lazy day of no cooking and preping.

EAT>MORE>RIBS
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 19:09

Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
I currently just eat beef and pork with spinach and butter. I am wondering if its okay to eat ribs every day in place of the pork and beef I eat? Many people consider ribs to be unhealthy but I'm guessing eating them every day on keto is fine? Any concerns here?

That sounds so good.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 06:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I would be concerned about so little diversity in your diet. Why just eat spinach? Why not add some variety with roasted Brussels or freshly sliced heirloom tomatoes or crunchy raw bell peppers, etc..... The color of a veg tells you what vitamins it contains. By eating a variety, you are more likely to meet all your body's needs.

The ribs are fine, but I would rotate them- ribs tonight, wings tomorrow, pork chops the next.....

Variety is the spice of life, right
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 21:14
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

On all meat diets some organ meats and offal are recommended. Liver is good if properly prepared. Eggs and fish can also be helpful for more balanced nutrition over time.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 21:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I had Menudo tonight, made with Tripe.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-02-17, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I had Menudo tonight, made with Tripe.

I LOVE tripe! I buy it fresh and ready-cleaned from a local supermarket, and dry it carefully in a folded clean tea-towel, then cut it into strips, and fry it with an onion and some garlic, until the excess water is gone; then I add spices: any that come to hand, but particularly chilli/cajun, and turmeric. Then, I add a nice generous spoonful of cream cheese, and season accordingly: Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, and eat, with some grilled skinned peppers, Kimchi, cauli rice, sweated shredded spring greens, Kimchi, courgetti spaghetti, Kimchi or just kimchi.

I like Kimchi.

I also love heart, liver, chicken gizzards (gesiers), pig's trotters and andouillette
I can get chicken gizzards from a local shop, but sadly, andouillettes are a treat reserved for my trips to France, to either consume in situ, or to bring back.....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-02-17, 11:30

BF:

Your recipe for cooking Tripe sounds wonderful.

Andouillette sounds very interesting and it looks really good, thanks for the link.

Do you like Pot-au-feu? My mother introduced me to this favorite dish in France. It always had a round bone in the meat, full of marrow which is the best part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-au-feu
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-04-17, 12:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Your recipe for cooking Tripe sounds wonderful.

Andouillette sounds very interesting and it looks really good, thanks for the link.

Do you like Pot-au-feu? My mother introduced me to this favorite dish in France. It always had a round bone in the meat, full of marrow which is the best part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-au-feu

I apologise for coming back to you late...
Yes, I used to make pot-au-feu when I lived in France; the best bit of meat is shin of beef, but a really thick piece... the marrow bone was at least 3" long, through the meat. I would simmer that thing for at least 3 hours.... Man, it was good, and yes - the marrow was the best bit!

ETA: This is the kind of Shin of Beef I would buy. I hasten to add I found this photo, I didn't take it; but roasting the meat in a hot oven fir a few minutes and then cooking it in the pot resulted in something very similar to this... Goodness, it was amazing....

Last edited by TaraMaiden : Thu, May-04-17 at 12:34.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-04-17, 12:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMaiden
I apologise for coming back to you late...
Yes, I used to make pot-au-feu when I lived in France; the best bit of meat is shin of beef, but a really thick piece... the marrow bone was at least 3" long, through the meat. I would simmer that thing for at least 3 hours.... Man, it was good, and yes - the marrow was the best bit!

ETA: This is the kind of Shin of Beef I would buy. I hasten to add I found this photo, I didn't take it; but roasting the meat in a hot oven fir a few minutes and then cooking it in the pot resulted in something very similar to this... Goodness, it was amazing....

Yes the meat/bone was a very thick cut, I remember. We went back and had it at the same place, several times. It was sooooo good!

I think my most loved dish that I have had in France is Bouillabaisse while we were at Mont Saint Michele, served by nuns I believe. Nothing else will ever compare to what I had that day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-04-17, 17:04
Registered Member

Stats: 330/320/280 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

How do you make your ribs? Any kind of sauce?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 17:01
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Beef 'sweetbreads' are excellent if you can get good whole ones. I marinade in cold water with ACV & salt for several hours then bake at 225*F till browned, turning once. Called mollejas molay-has in Spanish. Trepas (intestine) are also good, but tricky to find and properly prepare.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 17:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGUY
How do you make your ribs? Any kind of sauce?
I like to just rub some salt and herbs on them and throw them in the slowcooker, but you can check out http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215473 and scroll down to "Ribs" and see a variety of sauces & cooking methods.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 17:39

BF:

There is a big Asian grocery store where I go to buy duck and they had wrapped packages of intestine and probably the tripe too if I remember correctly. They have every type of head to tail meat that you never see anywhere else.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 23:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
There is a big Asian grocery store where I go to buy duck and they had wrapped packages of intestine and probably the tripe too if I remember correctly. They have every type of head to tail meat that you never see anywhere else.

Please believe my earnest sincerity when I tell you I'm envious!