Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-13, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/158/132 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Crying and gross constantly

Hi all.

Im getting married in 76 days.

Last year I put on around 21lbs due to depression and the meds I was on, making me around 11st 10lbs. Not huge to a lot of people but at 5" 3' it really shows and I look huge.

I have a huge sack of fat on my tummy that hangs on my legs when I sit down. I cant wear anything other than leggings cos as soon as I sit down it just spills over the top, even my bigger sizes which fit create this awful effect. The leggings however are just as unflattering and truly show how disgusting my shape is.

I had 3 kids in 6 years and was only ever close to 12st at the end of each of my pregnancies, which was all more or less burned off and down to 9 and a half - 10 stone within 12 weeks due to breastfeeding.

Im in tears all the time. I dont want to go out anywhere. Today I ventured out with the kids, h2b and step son to a family fun day. Uploading the photos to Facebook has left me in a serious mess, I look horrible.

All I can think is: fatty fat fat gross disgusting vile fat.

I know its ridiculous and makes no sense, I have never ever in my 27 years felt like this about myself. My close friend is constantly telling me that I am not as big as I think I am but I just dont believe her and to me, photos only prove it.

The thing that makes it worse is the fact that I am now and have been for weeks now, eating the right things. I lose a few lbs, I gain a few lbs. Im not going off track. Im not cheating. I dont drink alcohol. Its absolutely baffling me and just crippling me. At the point now where I want to post pone the wedding because I cannot imagine being this weight on my special day and having to look at photos of an uncomfortable, tank sized me forever.

I apologise for the rambling but I just had to get this off my chest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-13, 16:12

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Oh, dear, I am so sorry for your pain. It must be awful.

Perhaps you would like to post what you are eating - perhaps there is something that you're doing that is preventing you from losing. Are you still on meds? They can really mess with your blood sugar and make losing weight very very difficult.

And, yes, if you are going to be miserable, perhaps you DO want to postpone the wedding date. It's only a day, and it's not cast in stone. It's something you want to look forward to, not dread.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-13, 21:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good advice to take into account meds, even over-the-counter ones can have an impact on weight loss.

Also, have you looked into thyroid?

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com

I really think you need to learn to love yourself no matter how you look. Someday you're going to be old and wrinkled, how will you deal with that?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 10:56

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Oh my Gosh, You sound like you are at wits end. You have to be able to look at yourself and be a little happy. What are your best features? Think about them for a little while. And get some spanx or some contol top underwear! Your clothes will look tons better on you and maybe you can feel a bit better. Your tummy had had a workout with 3 kids and needs some help for now.
Take care,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 23:51

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Throw away the leggings and buy some short dresses that are a wrap style and flare out. But a pair of wedge heels and pair those with the dresses. Instantly you'll feel better about yourself.

Each morning, do a plank and some push-ups. Gradually increase the time and reps each morning. These will help your posture and belly issues (it sticks out less when you stand straight -- in your heels).

Forget about jeans for now. If you need shorts or pants, get a pair of athletic shorts with a very stretchy, wide waistband that are knee length. Wear tank tops with them, or V neck shirts. Make sure the shirts have a print on them. This will again hide the belly.

I carry weight in my tummy as well. I don't feel much better at 143 than I did at 226 about my belly issues. These are things I've found that work for my shape and make me look sooooo much cuter.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-13, 00:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

You sound like me when I was in my 20s - listen hun, just do it now, however you can. Increase fat intake, remove anything sweet from your diet, dont cheat and stick with it.

Sadly, I didnt find atkins til I was in my 40s and my biggest regret is that I wasnt 9 stone til then! I'm thrilled that I'm thin now, but hey - I'd have been so much happier if I'd done it way back when.....!!!!

You can do it, dont make excuses, and dont give up!!!!!!

I used to find things like a new hair cut, a change of make up, a new fashion style used to make me feel better about myself during/pre weight loss???

Dont give up on yourself!!!!! Oh and by the way, not wishing to "blow my own trumpet" but I've had five kids, cruising towards 50, and wearing size 8 - 10 - so, altho having babies can totally ruin a perfectly good body, you can recover from it lol!!!!

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 08:29

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I second all of that. Many people on this forum have lost more weight than you weigh altogether! It may not help the way you feel about your body but look at some of the success stories. It may inspire you!
Low carb eating is not hard. I would never have believed it, but it's quite easy to stick to the basis. Much easier than faffing about with counting and weighing.
So give it a go. All you have to lose is your tummy! Actually for me that was the first thing to go when I started low carbing in earnest.