Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 18:58

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Angry Lipid Panel

Total CHO - 247
TRI - 199
HDL - 34
VLDL CHO CAL - 40
LDL CALC 173

The PA wanted to prescribe statins before she asked me anything! I told her I would not take them. I hadn't been to this office in 2 years because of insurance change. I told her I wanted to try diet and exercise, she said, "you tried that two years ago and it's not working"! We were arguing about whether or not I should take these pills. She really tried to convince me that I was on the verge of having a heart attack at any moment.So she prescribed Zetia and Lovaza, anyone had any experiences with these?

I asked her about my blood sugars, she said "your FBS was 98, no problem you are not diabetic. I told her that 98 was a one day result, I wanted my HGA1C results because that would give me an average over the past ninety days including my holiday binge. She told me they only order that test for Diabetic and since I wasn't one they didn't order it.

I explained to her that my Dad lost two limbs, half a hand, his eyesight and ultimately his life to complications of diabetes she ordered the A1c.

I think I'll be looking for a new Primary. Thanks for letting me blow
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 19:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You're on the right track worrying more about glucose than cholesterol. Are you eating low carb now? If you start now, it will begin to drop your trigycerides fairly quickly. If you begin eating more saturated fat, it may raise your HDL (it raised mine dramatically over the course a couple of years).

Cholesterol simply does not correlate with cardiac events. Good luck finding a new doctor. Here is Jimmy Moore's list of LC-sympathetic docs to get you started: www.lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Liz53 : Fri, Feb-08-13 at 19:36.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 19:06
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Zetia? Really? I'm always surprised anyone would still prescribe that. http://zetia.legalview.com/

Total cholesterol is a lousy predictor of cardiovascular health, anyway, and 247 is pretty normal. LDL-C isn't much better. Your triglycerides are high, but eating low carbs should take care of that, and may even help to raise your HDL. There is a lot of good information about how the lipid theory has really gone wrong.

Anyway, I'd be far more concerned with blood sugars, as high blood sugars can lead to vascular damage that can create the environment needed for cardiovascular disease. You are wise to be concerned about it. You can start checking your own post-prandial blood glucose levels, which are much more telling than a fasting blood glucose test or even a HgA1C test. A blood glucose monitor can be a great arsenal in your fight for better health.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 19:38

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thanks for your quick responses. Eating low carb again, that's why I was so defiant. Testing everyday with my meter.

Liz, I recently added whole cream and olive oil to my diet for the added fat. Thanks for the link.

Labhrain, thanks also for your link. I inquired about Victoza because Bernstein is high on it but she just waved me off saying it does not work. I'm really skeptical of meds already, but I don't want to kill myself being stubborn! Most mornings my FBS is between 95-103. I'd like better results that's why I am thinking about victoza, Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 20:33
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

As far as Victoza, I would check out Jenny Ruhl's Website, as well. She is a fantastic resource for all things diabetes. Go to bloodsugar101.com and put Victoza into the search box. She's got a few postings regarding it. Perhaps it'll be good information to help you decide. I am the same way about meds. I err on the side of caution and try to avoid them, but...if the benefits seem to outweigh the problems, I'm not completely against using something.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-13, 13:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also you had this test about a month after starting LC and losing 15 pounds. Westman/Phinney warn not to measure lipids when you are actively losing weight as fat lost may show up in blood. TGs will likely drop after you are weight stable, and HDLs rise slowly when you remain LC.