Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 13:21

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Your New Face: Surprise! Wrinkles and lines! :(

The lines and ageing that naturally would have shown gradually as I went from 26-32 (obesity to now) have made a sudden, and disturbing, appearance. I know that sometimes when people lose weight, the face initially shows age, and fills out after maintaining. Sometimes. But this is so difficult for me. What a trade off: a plump face to a lined one! I thought that there would be something in between; due to some very stressful events I went through, I skipped that part.

Has anyone experienced this happening to them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 13:29

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

omg,,i had nearly this thought earlier...i think under my chin,on my neck is looking deffinately more saggy..i think i need to up my water,,lol.i seem to keep loosing from my face and not where i really want it gone from (my pizza dough belly).im hopeing that with water and maintaining it will fill out a bit,sort of..i hadnt really thought of it as a trade of though....maybe just give it some time..
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 15:34

BF:

Water! Yes, that's definitely something that I should keep in mind. I haven't nearly been getting enough lately. Good point..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 17:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I want a facelift!

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 10:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I would also suggest supplemental unflavored gelatin: it's a collagen builder, which is used all over the body.

Lack of collagen is what makes lines and wrinkles.

And it never hurts to do a little meditative relaxation technique I like a lot:
  • Lie on the bed, and let your head hang over the edge. Not too far as to be uncomfortable! This is just to reverse the gravitational pull that drags down our face.
  • Now lightly massage your trouble areas. This is mainly to let our body know where the muscles need to be relaxed.
  • Next, R E L A X. Make a point of letting all expression, all tension, all muscle awareness drain out of our face. Wrinkles can be caused by habitual expressions that never let those muscles relax. That's the idea behind botox! But we can relax those muscles ourselves, too.
  • Now do some deep breathing. This put oxygen and nutrients into our blood, so the relaxed muscles can get these goodies for repair. Think of a sunny beach, or a deep forest, or the top of a mountain. We are unclenching our minds, too.

You are doing it right it, when you get up, you can feel the difference in your face. Do it every day!

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Nov-11-12 at 11:04.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 11:45

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

plenty of vitamin c & e.

Last edited by 2007 : Sun, Nov-11-12 at 11:51. Reason: and E
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 13:14

BF:

Wow, these are great suggestions. I am going to try them for sure. Whatever works! I don't know what to do about the gelatin though, ie:, what kind, what to buy!?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 13:26

BF:

I got mine from Amazon, NOW brand unflavored beef gelatin, 1 pound. In regular stores I've only seen it in those little Knox envelopes; not cost effective.

Also, I've just started with Bio Oil after reading great reviews about it; I get these dry patches on my feet in the winter and I hear it's great for all skin.

Will keep ya'll posted.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 15:50

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Two things have been tested and shown over and over to help with lines/wrinkles, and almost everything else is a waste of money.

1. Alpha hydroxy acids
2. Retin A

Moisturizers can temporary plump things up and you'll look better, but for real, measurable changes you'll need an AHA or Retin A.

What AHA does: increases skin's thickness and makes more collagen.
Study

What Retin A does: fixes the long-term damage done by the sun and significantly reduces wrinkles.
Study 1
Study 2
A ton of other studies

Your skin absolutely CANNOT make more collagen by eating collagen. It just doesn't work that way - it's the same concept as eating fat doesn't make you fat. It makes sense that it would, but it's not true.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 20:37

BF:

What products have Retin a?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 11:04

BF:

Here is a good source for AHA products:

http://skincare.paulaschoice.com/se...a&asug=&x=0&y=0

She was my GOTO for many years until I switched to Kopec Naturals for my rosacea care; low carb did the best of anything, of course.

There's also the "squicky" but scientifically sound alternative of derma rolling:

http://www.realself.com/derma-rollers-microneedling

Which I discovered last night while doing research inspired by this thread. Dang if I'm not intrigued...

Unlike laser or chemical peels, all of which I would not consider because the pitfalls are so great, this looks like something worth considering with a low risk of disaster.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 19:21

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have a dermaroller! I'm using the .5mm on my face and the 1.0 and 1.5 on my stretch marks.

A good AHA brand is Alpha Hydrox - you can get a 10% lotion for under $10 at Walgreens. You MUST start slow, though. Like every third day for a while, then every other, then every night.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 22:54

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I too am intrigued. I'm seriously considering ordering one on Amazon. It may be the next level after dry brushing.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 07:52
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm 38 soon, and as I lose weight I'm very concerned about wrinkles and saggy skin issues. The only benefit to being my size is being wrinkle free. Maybe I should try some of these strategies in advance of the wrinkles showing.

Lee
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 10:37

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I’ve lost about 20 pounds (so far) since September. That’s pretty rapid and I’m probably going to slow down. I haven’t noticed any wrinkles but I always ‘look tired’. The bags under my eyes are more pronounced. I didn’t put two and two together about the weight loss and saggy skin but I’m pretty sure that’s what’s doing it.

I’ll just have to start using a bit more makeup. I should throw out my old stuff and get some fancy new stuff. I do hope my 50 year old skin bounces back a little. I really like my cream with glycolic acid it’s supposed to stimulate growth.