Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 18:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 205/173/150 Female 5' 6''
BF:38.79/38.13/30
Progress: 58%
Default Ignorant comments

Needing to vent.

I am finally at a healthy 140 lbs, size 8/10 and I am really proud of my accomplishments.

Yesterday at lunch someone made a comment about how I was depriving myself and 'starving' myself. For lunch I had a lare baked sweet potato with cinnamon and butter, a serving of mung bean pasta w/alfredo sauce, greek yog w/strawberries. She stated the words, "You're killing yourself!" as she chomped down a big mac, large fry and supersized soda. I really wanted to challenge that but just made a statement about making the choice to eat healthy. I hate how people just assume that I must be starving myself to have lost the weight.

I went to the seamstress this week to have a gown taken in. It played a large part in my weightloss, but I surpassed my goal and and the dress became way to big. Proud of my accomplishments I went to the seamstress. Who repeatedly commented on my decrease in breast size. I used to be a c now I am an A-b oh well. I am much healthier. She was standing behind me and assessing my figure and stated "oh honey, you have lossed far more than you have gained in my opinion". Wow, that was cruel. I explained to her that I would rather be healthy than have larger breast. Still, made me just want to go bury my head (and my breast) in the sand!

grrr!
KariAnna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 20:39
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Personally....I'd rather be my present A cup and 40 pounds lighter than my previous D cup, 40 pounds heavier.

We discussed boobage in this thread....

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=431579

That's why those smart designers made wonder bras

Yeah, it really sounded like you were killing and starving yourself with that lunch you ate.

Congratulations on all your hard work...sounds like it paid off in spades. Everybody around you sounds like they're getting catty and jealous. Revel in it!

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 09:12
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I've found that comments like the one you had at lunch, are often from someone who feels your healthy lifestyle as a challenge to their unhealthy one. They are forced to think about what they're eating in comparison, and they don't like it, they think it makes them look bad, so they say something to try and make your way of eating a negative, to make themselves feel better. No reflection on you - just their own insecurities.

Lee
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 09:18
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I hear jealousy in those comments. That's too bad, but you're the one with the accomplishments and a lean, healthy body. Let's face it, I honestly think most women would prefer to be slender than heavy, even if it means smaller boobs.

Sorry these folks have used their insecurity and jealousy to slam you. That's pretty crappy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 12:42

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

You and your small boobs are GORGEOUS, and don't let anyone tell you anything different. 140lbs, size 8 is HEALTHY. If you need more reminders, watch some films from 1970 or earlier...look at what people looked like! They look like you do NOW! Congratualtions on your marvellous weight loss, and don't let the nay-sayers get you down. They suck. YOU rock!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 13:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I've found that comments like the one you had at lunch, are often from someone who feels your healthy lifestyle as a challenge to their unhealthy one. They are forced to think about what they're eating in comparison, and they don't like it, they think it makes them look bad, so they say something to try and make your way of eating a negative, to make themselves feel better. No reflection on you - just their own insecurities.

Lee

Agree with this and what others wrote. In your photo you are healthy and radiant; go strut your great body in that fabulous slimed-down gown.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

You shouldn't let comments like these affect you, it's just like you said: they're coming from ignorant people. In what world is eating a big mac, large fry and supersized soda healthier than what you were having? If anything, people around you should feel motivated to make a change in their lives as well and turn to healthier meals. Congrats for all your progress and I'm sure you look fabulous, but most important, you have a healthy life style! Negative comments simply come from jealousy and ignorance.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 17:15

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Default The comparison is blah...

this is what has been happening to me lately. I get up in the morning and feel great. I shower, get dressed, check myself out in the mirror and feel really good about the weight I have lost. I am looking good!! I get to work and sometime during the day, usuallly at the bathroom sink while washing my hands, a thin woman will walk up and i catch a glance of her and me in the mirror. I then compare how we look and see that I will never be as thin as she is. It makes me feel fat. I try to shake it off, but I am having a hard time. then when I get home, I change clothes and because I am looking at myself alone, I feel good again. I can look at myself in mirrors anywhere and if I am alone in the mirror I can see the weight loss. Am I cracking up? Has anyone else done this?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 18:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 205/173/150 Female 5' 6''
BF:38.79/38.13/30
Progress: 58%

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments!

It has been a slow 3 yr journey. I am working on adjusting to my own body and owning it. This is tough when people start labeling 'flaws' I didn't know existed. But realizing it's my flaws that make me unique. Morbidly obese to 'normal' and still comments from the peanut gallery!

I don't want to be the center of gossip but it's not all bad. Yesterday I walked in and heard the following three coworkers in a nearby office chatting, they did not know I was there-
"Oh my god do you see what she eats? She really likes that food now...Paul says he sees her at the gym 3x a week..Did you see that dress yesterday, oh my god , gorgeous it fit her perfectly, I couldn't believe it was her...well she's starving herself... no she she eats like all day long...is she sick?... she does cheat...I saw her eat cake once..yeah I saw that too- once I saw her eat two pieces". I laughed out laugh at the cake piece and they knew I was present.

"Yes I eat cake, and brownies. Yes I am human. I don't cheat... I treat. I don't diet.... I choose to eat healthy. I am never hungry and when I am, I eat. I eat at least six times a day.... no I didn't have gastic bypass... no I don't have some horrible disease that's making me lose weight....no fad diets.. check ups with doctor every 6 mos.... yes I have worked my a$$ off- literally."

Despite the scrutiny, I am happy are people are noticing. Not that they are noticing me personally, but that are noticing that small changes over time equal results and that this is possible and doable!!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 140/135/110 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

regarding the comment made to you about your lunch...

comments like that often come from people who:
- never had a weight problem.
- don't want to admit they have a weight problem.
- possibly want to lose weight, but don't see themselves cutting out the fast food, pop, chips, cake, etc. they can't imagine life without that stuff.
- can't stand to see you succeed in losing weight (they've failed at it)

they see it as, "how on earth could you make the sacrifice!!! what an absurd thought!!! the world will come to an end if i don't eat this big mac!!!"

it's hard but just ignore them. and don't even bother trying to convince people of the way i eat. it's like trying to convert someone to your religion.

regarding the boobs....
i was a SMALL A to begin with. now i'm an even SMALLER A! i'm definitely not blessed in the chest. i agree with you...i'd rather be healthier and have an overall slimmer body than have bigger boobs. don't let anyone make you feel bad about it!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 15:49

Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnna
"Yes I eat cake, and brownies. Yes I am human. I don't cheat... I treat. I don't diet.... I choose to eat healthy. I am never hungry and when I am, I eat. I eat at least six times a day.... no I didn't have gastic bypass... no I don't have some horrible disease that's making me lose weight....no fad diets.. check ups with doctor every 6 mos.... yes I have worked my a$$ off- literally.
Good job, KariAnna- I like your attitude! This is completely how I feel, although my treats are corn chips and tortillas. I've been in the process of throwing out all my bras because they are now way too big. Oh well-
I can always wear a padded bra, but thanks to this WOE I don't need to wear those miserable Spanx anymore!

You go, girl!