Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.4/175.8/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I went SWIMMING

I haven't gone swimming in 6 years (and for like 4 years before that) - and I LOVE LOVE to do it. I LOVE swimming but I haven't let myself because I've been so ashamed for so long.

Something I've figured out though, I was with a man for many of those years (7), he was emotionaly abusive and really drug me down farther than I could taken myself by myself. Don't get me wrong, I let him do it, but I'm just giving background.

During a short break with him (6 years ago) I met a man who constantly built me up and was always telling me how beautiful and wonderful I was. He brought me up out of despair and we went not only swimming but many other things I would have been to ashamed to do. Unfortunatley I left him and went back to the other.

I spent many more years not swimming anymore, once agian too ashamed. Eventually my ex took it too far, thank god one time was all that it took, one time, and I ran and never looked back.

Time passed and I found my now husband. My husband is the most apreciative sweet supportive man I could ever dream of. He's taken his time with me helping to build me up and I've taken a proactive roll by trying my best to listen and BELIEVE.

What I'd really like to get at though, is that no matter what happens - like heaven forbid something happened to my husband - I vow to never EVER let my self-worth be based on another persons opinion of me. It's up to ME, I am the one that has to look in the mirror everyday and apreciate myself. My husband is my lifeboat but I vow to do MY part and never bring him down, and if anything ever happens to him I promise to swim on.

I went swimming yesterday. I'm never going to stop again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 12:41
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Swimming is so much fun.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 15:19

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

That for me....is currently a dream..... I used to really enjoy that and jogging as well....

TJ
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 17:20

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

I went swimming last weekend. It's been along time since I was able to walk around in swimming trunks without being embarrassed.

I had a great time.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 05:19

BF:

Skeeweeaka - I've got two words - Tankini and shorts! For real, get a lose fitting halter style tankini top (floats away from that mid-section!) and a pair of shorts that can go in the water. It's the only way I can bear to go out, that way people don't see the EXTRA curves in my stomach and the dimples :P on my upper thighs. I wish I had the guts to let lose everything like other people I see, but I just can't, I need to be more modest.

Plus, I always go to rather secluded places.

But come on girl, you've already done a great job losing some weight, treat yourself to your dream. And heck it makes for some great exercise if you get out there and for real SWIM for it! I hope you'll consider it.

Pengu! - YES!!!!!! YYAAYY!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 09:02

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I so envy you, lindystar. I desperately want to go swimming but I'm too embarrassed. I went into the pool the other day to get my son, and I saw several ladies who were bigger than me. At least I think they were bigger. My body image is so skewed - they may actually have been smaller.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 10:16

BF:

Costello22 - I wonder, is there a time of day there when it's not busy? Like when it first opens up or closes? Maybe if you went for just a little bit when there aren't people you'd get a courage boost. And if you went with your son you could have him fetch you a towel or coverup and bring it right to the edge of the pool if you're feeling real shy.

It was the first time that was hardest for me, but when I got there, and DID see ladies larger than me - having a GREAT time - and other people that didn't even bat a lash at me I relaxed and thought oh what the hell.

I do still wear my shorts with the tankini top, I just can't bear the multitude of dimples I've got. :P Someday

Hey! Do they have classes there? Like, I know here they have ladies water-exercises-classes. It's pretty much just overweight old ladies that go (bound to be a fun group if you ask me!) and I know I'd feel fine with them if I had the time to go. When they do it it's only them, no others, so maybe look into it, it could be a good starter for you. GOOD LUCK!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 14:03

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

I got myself back to regular pool visits by going to aquafit classes first...and just saying "fvck off" to the voices in my head that gave all the reasons I shouldn't go. The aquafit thing helped a lot by providing a peer group at basically the same fitness level.

Also keep in mind that most of the people in the class that were more fit than me? They didn't start out that way and were likely to be more sympathetic...so I felt a little safer there.

And I made a pact with myself to do scary things to overcome those insecurities - this was one of them.

Now I have a trainer and lift a few times a week, and I do my cardio afterward in the pool. It's very relaxing!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 15:29

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I am so glad you are getting back in the water

I did water aerobics classes when I was 40lbs heavier. I am just now getting back to the classes. I was NOT the biggest girl in the class even when I was heavier.

Water exercise is so good for you. The water supports your weight so you can strengthen without causing strain on your joints.

GET IN THE WATER! Only jerks will comment, and who cares what they think anyway?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 15:32

BF:

Tangy and Wifezilla - ROCK OUT !!! For real gals, rock on with cho bad ass*s !! YES!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 21:34

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%

I love to swim to, even just to be in the water. I've been wanting to join a swim facility for months, but keep putting it off for one reason or another...this is a good thread to read for encouragement. Congrats to those who've taken the plunge...pun intended
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 01:00

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm so happy for you!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 11:13

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I swim everyday. Our home has a nice inground pool in the back yard so I try to get in it most everyday.
I love swimming to. Its good exercise.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 10:02

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I never stopped going to the public pool. even when I weighed 250 lbs. My dad is 70+ and always liked to go. we found it was less busy a bit later in the afternoon. public swimming was from 1-5 and it seemed all the little kiddies wanted to go right at 1. we'd head over there about 2 or so.

Quote:
GET IN THE WATER! Only jerks will comment, and who cares what they think anyway?

Actually, I did have 1 young kid comment one day when I was there alone. Three years later, I really should thank him. He made me sit up and realize that YES, I have a weight problem. It was sorta like a wake up call for me, up till then I wasn't really worried about my weight issues. (however, I am still mad at his mother and her "size zero" friends--not one of them chastised him for saying that to me)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 12:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Pointing out to me that I was fat was not helpful at all since I didn't have the right tools to fix it (low carb). Now, had some kid handed me a copy of DANDR....LOL