Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi from Deb Da Cajun!

Here is the long story about how I have come to be a low-carber! I fall into several high risk groups for diabetes -- obese, grandmother AND mother had/have type 2, have hypertension, and Cajun (25% of Cajuns have diabetes). About a month and a half ago, when describing some symptoms I felt were pre-menopausal to a diabetic friend, she suggested I might also want to investigate diabetes. My mom had given me her "old" Glucometer Elite a month before when I went to visit, so I started doing fasting bgs and got ranges from 120-150. She also gave me a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, which I devoured! Even though one doesn't need a background in biochemistry to read it, having that background meant I knew what he said was scientifically valid.

When I went for appt for hypertension 6 weeks ago, I told the dr my story -- she was somewhat skeptical (those 1st-year interns!) but did order an HgbA1c and a fasting glucose on my return. Oh, an important point to mention -- both she and the tech who took my blood both insisted "as long as you're below 140, you're fine" -- ARRRRRRGH!!

I left there very frustrated and fearful -- what if they don't diagnose me correctly? Do they want to wait until I lose my eyesight and a couple of toes (like my mom did) or get kidney failure (like my dad, from hypertension)?!?

Well, I feared did not come true. I went again about a month ago, had my blood drawn (and then gobbled down some breakfast -- nice chicken breast) and saw a very nice dr. Not only did I lose 6lbs since last time, but my bp went down from very high to high normal (20pts on both systolic and diastolic). They tested my fasting bg as 150 (which my meter read as 149 so I KNOW my meter is good!), and the tests they did 2 weeks previous (thyroid, basic metabolic panel) were all normal. The blood they took that day was tested for cholesterol (and I got a paper a week later giving me a supposedly cholesterol-lowering diet, which was ridiculous). I discussed the possibility of metformin with her but it was decided that I should try just exercise and diet first before any meds (which I figured). I saw the ophthamologist last Tuesday and my eyes are peachy keen. And I FINALLY got my appointment with a diabetes educator/dietician last week -- am really looking forward to knocking heads with anti-low-carbers (NOT!).

Well, that's all the news from Bayou Woebegone, where all the women are strong, all the cats are calico, and all the sodas are caffeine-free Diet Coke.

Last edited by DebDaCajun : Mon, Jun-04-01 at 20:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 20:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Debbie,

Nice going with the numbers ... what a relief for you, and a blessing too, that you're able to head things off ... if only things had been so for your Mom and grandmom ..

Sounds like you have found a wonderful dr. too .... this should be helpful ammunition with the LOWfat-headed nutritionist ... on the other hand, you might luck out. Here's hoping.

Love yer lobster, by the way ..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 20:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Cool forgot an important thing!

Oh, I forgot to mention an important thing -- between the first and second visits I went on the Bernstein diet (pretty much faithfully) but the night before splurged ON PURPOSE! I wanted to be certain I had an above-normal fasting blood glucose -- and did I ever!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 20:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Just saw in your profile that you studied biochemistry! I strongly beleive biochemists are much more qualified than medical doctors in understang the issues of food/body/weight.

Good for you! How come your mom gave you Dr. Bernstein's book. Is she following it?

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 21:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Deb, welcome to the board! I have a family history of diabetes too, and like you, am attempting to head it off at the pass. I never had any bloodwork done, but last year I started putting on a lot of weight around the tum - bad sign! It's disappearing now, and I know I don't have to worry about high blood sugar while I'm low-carbing.

Good luck with your dietician, keep us posted!

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-01, 21:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
Just saw in your profile that you studied biochemistry! I strongly beleive biochemists are much more qualified than medical doctors in understang the issues of food/body/weight.

Good for you! How come your mom gave you Dr. Bernstein's book. Is she following it?

Wa'il

Last question first: my mom had first got Dr. B's book when she got her new Glucometer Elite -- I forget the details but she was able to get it for half price. She is following it too, as best she can anyway. My copy got in an accident so she got a new one -- I had to peel all the pages apart!

In re your comment about biochemists, of course I agree though most drs should have had a course or two. But unless their specialty is endocrinology they probably forgot everything they learned as soon as the final exam was over.

Oh, BTW, my avatar was a crawfish, not a lobster! (At least it was supposed to be anyway -- I'm not too sure about those pincers!)

Last edited by DebDaCajun : Wed, Jun-13-01 at 01:05.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 17:02

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

from one debbie to another....WELCOME!!! you're really pro-active with your health deb and that's great! they say that more and more we are going to have to self diagnose and then complain to a doctor! sounds like your overall health is in pretty good shape! keep up the good work and please keep us posted!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 23:06

Stats: 220/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hey Deb.

When I saw your picture, I thought, wow, she looks like me!!
My husband was looking over my shoulder one day when I was reading this board and he said "Wow, she looks like you!"

So I have been trying to find a picture of me - there are not many! to show you.

what do you think, are we long lost twins or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gail.jpg (10.3 KB, 32 views)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 15:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

We must be -- we sure look like it! Got any relatives from the east side of Canada (particularly from the Acadian areas)? Maybe we share some genes from way back!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 01:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

what do you think of this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deb-gail.jpg (29.7 KB, 22 views)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 08:50

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Wink Great pics

Oh my, twins. You're both cute & do look like sisters. Aren't twins lots of trouble? Look at the Bush girls. Ooops shouldn't slag the poor B girls, they're under a microscope.

Thanks for the pictures. Ruth
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 08:53

Stats: 220/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Question

Holy Cow!! I should find another picture where I am not so red in the face ( that was at a party- few drinks.........) even our natural skin tone is almost the same!

As far as I know deb, I have no eastern Canada relatives, but stranger things have happened!

Love

Your twin

Gail