Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326.4/295/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Maybe its not just me

I knew for a while (like 9ish months) that something wasn't right with my mood swings/anger issues. My husband has even mentioned it and he's about as observant as a coma patient. I was diagnosed with ADD about 10 years ago but because I don't have insurance or the money to pay for meds out of pocket I haven't had it treated since 2010 (when I found out I was pregnant the last time).

Last week I was talking to a friend about not feeling like myself and how if I had insurance I would go see a doctor. She told me about a program she uses that has a sliding payment scale. I called that same day and made an appointment. Later last week I took my sons in for their annual physicals and I was asked questions about myself. To my surprise I was refereed to the same service I called the day before! Apparently I 'scored' a 23 on some scale that they refer moms if they score higher then 10 which indicates post-partum depression.

I hope they are able to help me, that we can afford the help they offer, and the meds don't interfere with my weightloss journey. I've been doing good with this WOE but recently went on a stress induced binge. I then felt awful (physically and emotionally). Ever since its been a daily struggle just functioning. Going off plan shouldn't send me into such a tailspin!

Just had to get this out there where maybe someone else would understand.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 10:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm glad you're getting help. Hopefully the national healthcare program, if it survives the supreme court, will help folks with any health insurance.

Anyway, I just wanted to say you might want to try to eliminate gluten in your diet. It's associated with all kinds of psychological issues in many, many people.

www.theglutenfile.com describes many of the disorders. Here's a direct link to some of the psychiatric ones.

I've heard from so many people on various web sites about their emotional state improving drastically when they go gluten free. Something to try and it is FREE and fits in well with an LC WOE.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326.4/295/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for the advice Nancy, I've actually been tossing around the idea of removing gluten because I suspect I have a sensitivity issue with it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 11:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I second Nancy's advice; going gluten-free did so much for my physical health, but it also improved my own moods.

I think that with someone with problems; it could do even more. It's certainly worth a try; costs nothing!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 19:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Bipolar disorder, anxiety, PMS . . . gone
Quote:
Ashley posted this story of her health and mood transformation.

Thank you for saving my family.

3 months wheat-free now and my debilitating bipolar disorder, anxiety & PMS are gone. Not lessened, GONE. My marriage will start it’s 5th year next month on a more stable note than ever with all of my mood/ mental/ hormonal disorders eliminated. I have been severely depressed since I was 12 and now I can’t even remember how that despair felt. I was in the depths of possibly my worst and lowest point for months right when we decided to start this Wheat Belly journey. I just want to know: how many marriages have been destroyed by WHEAT?!?! Seriously?

My lifelong asthma and allergies have greatly lessened and I am sure will just keep diminishing as I become a healthier size for my system to support. I have been disabled for years with severe back pain (before my unhealthy weight was even put on). Now, I still have pain but it doesn’t linger. It doesn’t control my every action. I know I will feel pain, but it won’t be terrifyingly intense or last remotely as long as it previously would during flare ups. I know my hormone shot birth control doesn’t help my journey move very fast, but for the first time ever, I am doing it! I have gone from size 28 to size 22 in just the last 4 weeks.

My husband’s hypertension, allergies, asthma & anxiety are gone. We have both dropped sizes rapidly with no added exercise (we are both above 40 BMI still but shrinking so quick). My husband has dropped significantly more and for the first time in our lives he is smaller in weight and waist than I am but 5″ taller than me! We are also hoping to see improvement in his recently diagnosed low (excessively, for age 27) testosterone levels once the hormone machine belly fat is further reduced. He has been obese since age 6.

I love my new menu of REAL food that provides fuel and am always sated. I have no want to look back.

I am 28, and for the first time in 5 years, feel like I might make it out of this fat, sad hell before my youth is gone. Thank you for saving us. Thank you for inspiring my husband to make this change for us. He has never tried more than a little to fix all that was so very wrong before now. I couldn’t have imagined life could get so much better so easily and so quickly.

In susceptible individuals, the gliadin protein of wheat is not a food ingredient; it is a drug. And not a drug that improves health, but one that introduces marked disruption of mood, thinking, and behavior. Just as not everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic, some people are susceptible to the gliadin mind and mood effects of wheat much more so than others. Ashley’s story makes clear that she was–was–among the victims of this incredibly potent drug.

Not an unusual story at all. I just wish I could convince my sister, and she could convince her daughter, who seems to be having sudden onset of paranoia and anxiety, to give GF a try.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 21:03
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Apparently I 'scored' a 23 on some scale that they refer moms if they score higher then 10 which indicates post-partum depression.

The Edinburgh Depression Scale.
I use it daily not only with my post partum patients, but with my non-pregnant patients as well.
It is a quick and easy tool that the patient can complete in just a few minutes that clues in on not only depression, but anxiety as well.
I'm glad you're seeking help. It sounds like you've really been struggling.
Try gluten free/wheat free....you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 00:17

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:

I totally agree with all the advice above...eliminating gluten/wheat/corn from my diet has changed my life more than I ever realized was possible. The future looks and feels sooo good now!

Try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!