Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 03:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Please Help Me - 5 Month Stall

Could someone pop into my journal and give me some advice on where I could be going wrong? I've been stalled for 5 months.
I initially lost 10lbs on induction and the subsequent month and then gained this all back with a couple of extra lbs over the next 2 months. Since then, no change from 12st 4lbs I am now 4lbs heavier then when I first started this WOE.
Its so depressing. I'm not going to give up now that i've been going this long!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 23:35

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Unhappy I feel for you......

I feel for you~!! I initially went from 182.5 to 174, then gained back 4 lbs. and was stuck at 178. I got this reply from Atkins Nutritional Center today, and thought maybe it may help you. I know a lot of posts says to increase your fat intake, but sometimes it may be better to decrease it so that your stored body fat will have a chance to burn. I've been entering everything I eat at FitDay.com, and initially found that I was consuming way too many calories than was recommended (10-12X body weight). I've since cut down my calories and cut down my fat intake to about 60-65% (35-40% protein, less than 20g gross carb). I'm happy to say that after a week of this, I've lost 3.5 lbs. Good luck, and I hope you'll find something that'll work for you!!

Subj: RE:{Consumer Question}: Gaining weight on Induction???
Date: 05/16/2002 1:08:05 PM Central Daylight Time

Firstly, do your best to be patient with your weight loss. You have nothing to be concerned about. While some lose weight consistently on Atkins, others lose in stages. You are in ketosis so you are burning stored fat for fuel.

You could be eating too much fat. While fat is necessary while following Atkins, eating too much fat can delay weight loss. Your body burns the fat you eat first, then the stored fat. If you're eating too much fat, you will not give your metabolism a change to burn the stored fat in the body. Try reducing your fat intake slightly and see if that helps.

You could be eating too much. EvenThe Wrong Way to Do Atkins

All too often, people devise ways to abuse the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ by doing it their own way.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 01:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I had a look at your journal and would uggest that you try KISS for two weeks and see what happens. You are eating low-carb, but you're eating a lot of known "stallers".

Here's the link: WHAT IS ATKINS KISS? Join and KISS today!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 02:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Thanks

Munchy, Karen, Thanks for your replys.
I think I will try the KISS technique with a slightly lower fat intake to see how I get on.
Will keep you updated! It doesn't help that i've been doing this so long that you need to vary your diet by including 'known stallers' i love my rhubarb and lo carb muffins. Ah well they're out for a while!