Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 20:14

Plan: low to no carb
Stats: 260/230/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Which to do you prefer

Hello, Im new to this forum, but i wanted to ask those of you who have done both PP and Atkins, which they perfered and which was easiest to make the transition to. I have diabetes and the less carbs I have the better. I sky rocket when I have em. So before I go and buy a book, Id like to know your comments and thoughts on the difference. I know that if I can get my weight down enough the possiblity is there that I can reverse it (though it will lurk in the shadows). So thanks to all of you that reply.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 21:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Hi Kelly,

In practical terms there is not a huge difference between PP and Atkins, but the Eades do explain why this way of life is so good for you much better than Atkins IMHO.

However, since you are a diabetic, you may want to consider starting with a book which specifically addresses your issues - although any low carb plan will be a big step in the right direction for blood sugar control.

There are two books you might want to look at;

First Dr Bernsteins book - quite a few chapters are available online for free - www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Secondly there is a new Atkins book out "Dr Atkins New Diabetes Revolution" - not actually written by Atkins himself obviously - but written by people who worked with him.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 21:36

BF:

Ive been doing alot of reading over the years, and it seems like I know more about my body than the doctors do.my goal is to get the weight off because the possiblity is there I can reverse this. I originally started dealing with diabetes 7 years ago when I got pregnant. So i have alot of knowledge about my body. The dieticians seem to tell me, that carbs are more important in my diet, then wonder why they cant get my BS down, well duh, if you listened to me in the first place youd understand. So I am figuring out what is best at this point in time. BOth atkins and PP are very close to what I am doing now But i want a plan to follow. I alone have dropped my bs from 208 in june to currently 140. So im doing something right. But ill check out the books you suggested. Thank you so much for your insite. kelly
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 18:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Let me get this straight. You currently weigh 140? If that's the case, I'd say Protein Power is all you need.

If you were just starting out in low-carb, I would strongly recommend Atkins simply because it's more restrictive. There are definite things you should and shouldn't eat during Induction, and he provides a plan for going through the other stages as well (Protein Power does, too, but not to the extent that Atkins does).

If you're really 140, why don't you change your stats?

Or am I being really dense here and misunderstand what you wrote?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 20:49

BF:

No no no.. i wish i weighed that much. I was talking about my blood sugars being 140.

Kelly
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 03:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Gotcha! In that case, personally I would recommend Atkins. Get a book (or go to the site at atkinscenter.com) and read up on it. Then follow the rules of Induction to a T. It will send your cravings and appetite packing!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 01:57

I have just finished the Atkins diabetes book - and I am close to withdrawing my recommendation! Like all the Atkins books it is very poorly structured (you get the feeling they never employ an editor) - and it wasn't even written by Atkins! Oooh I wonder if I can get away with saying that here! I am also amazed that they still want to confuse newcomers with references to the GI/GL system which in the context of a controlled carb diet is almost an irrelevant blind alley (if you stick to food selection on the basis of its effective carb count - the selection process is much easier and effective for blood glucose control in any event).

This book also pretty much assumes you have read DANDR - many references to induction, "ACE" etc before they even get to the dietary program.

So maybe a combination of PP, PPLP and Dr Bernstein would be the best option.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 06:31

Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%

Mcsblues-If you are like me and want to get to the point on the best nutritional program to follow without reading a whole library of books, I recommend Protein Power book which sells in paperback for less than $10
I say that because the book spend chapters relating to diabetes, insulin resistance, among many other things, all written in a way that everyone can understand. Protein Power deals with plain down to earth foods with down to earth costs and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to deal with the program. I have lost about 30 lbs in a little over 4 months with PP and I can honestly say that I have never been hungry ever at any time. PP book (the first one) is very important since it will give you the feeling that it is all you need, including a strong conviction to implement a self decipline regime of action.
Personally I feel that the second book (Protein Power Lifeplan) is good to further your knowledge on nutition but not as much as the first book. That is my opinion. The second book emphasizes what the first book said and the authors go into great lenght to convince the readers that red meat is good for us. It goes into understandable details about free radicals, antioxidants, nutrition supplements, transfats and a great deal of other useful info.
Give it a try and goodluck. Let us know how you make out.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 08:06

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Kelly,
I spent two years on Atkins losing and regaining the same 5 lbs. I also felt trapped and was never able to climb the carb ladder, and was forever stuck at 20g carbs per day. I was miserable. I couldn't get satisfied no matter how much fat and protein I ate. My caloric intake was ridiculously high, thus the inability to lose weight. It wasn't until I cut way back on fat and calories to a more reasonable level and upped my carbs to 60g per day that I finally lost weight, felt in control of my cravings, and felt normal again. This is only my experience. Many do very well on Atkins. I just wasn't one of them. Hope you find what works for you!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 03:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot
Mcsblues-If you are like me and want to get to the point on the best nutritional program to follow without reading a whole library of books, I recommend Protein Power book which sells in paperback for less than $10
I say that because the book spend chapters relating to diabetes, insulin resistance, among many other things, all written in a way that everyone can understand. Protein Power deals with plain down to earth foods with down to earth costs and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to deal with the program. I have lost about 30 lbs in a little over 4 months with PP and I can honestly say that I have never been hungry ever at any time. PP book (the first one) is very important since it will give you the feeling that it is all you need, including a strong conviction to implement a self decipline regime of action.
Personally I feel that the second book (Protein Power Lifeplan) is good to further your knowledge on nutition but not as much as the first book. That is my opinion. The second book emphasizes what the first book said and the authors go into great lenght to convince the readers that red meat is good for us. It goes into understandable details about free radicals, antioxidants, nutrition supplements, transfats and a great deal of other useful info.
Give it a try and goodluck. Let us know how you make out.

Yes, I agree PP is a great starting point for newcomers, but of all the low carb books I have read PPLP is the best by far IMHO. Diabetes is covered pretty well by the Eades (better than the Atkins Diabetes book) but I having read quite a lot on Dr Bernstein's site - if I had diabetes myself, I would get his book as well. Anyone who has been sucessfully managing his type 1 diabetes for 55 years in addition to all the patients he has helped over that time, should be regarded as at least one of the best low carb experts for any diabetic.

Cheers,

Malcolm