Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 09:01

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default What do you like about where you are from?

Me & my husband are thinking about taking a road trip across the U.S. next year. So I thought this might be interesting.
So I'll start; I live in Marion TX it's a tiny town w/ pop. of about 1000 people. It's a nice little farm town. Everyday I see horses, cows, & goats. Plus people here are so friendly & we don't have any crime that I know of, & most people probably don't lock their doors.
Although there's not much to do in this little town, I'm close to San Antonio, New Braunfel & Austin which are big tourist traps. So this may not be a busy place I can go out have some fun then unwin on my way back home. I work in New Braunfel & it takes me 20 mins just back & I don't have to deal with much traffic once I get out of there because it's all farm roads the whole way.
So tell us about where your from.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 09:49

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I live in Massachusetts on Cape Cod. Cape Cod has two very diffrent modes, Summer & Not Summer. Summer is hectic and busy and lots of tourists and stores and people. Its very very busy. Not summer is quiet and calm, and beautiful. No matter where you go the beach is no more than 10 mins away. Breath taking views and many historic points.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 09:56
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well I'm in England but my home town is in Kissimmee, Florida.

I don't like it at all.
Too crowded for me and too hot.

Which is why DH joined the AF so we can travel.

But if you like the heat then come on over to the Sunshine state and enjoy the beaches.

But we did live in Washington State for 2 years and that I loved.

More relaxed and the country side is beautiful. Seattle is busy, don't go there. But it is beautiful either ways.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 10:00

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi well I am from Roanoke, VA I lived there almost my whole life until I made the move to WI. It is the most beautiful place on earth to me . From the gorgeous lakes to the beautiful trees and forest areas its just breathtaking. The largest man made star in the world is there on top of Mill Mountain. Its actually called the Star city because of that Star. Its in a valley so it is totally surrounded by mountains. Lots of dogwood blossoming and just a nice clean feeling type of place. There are many historical sites nearby because VA is the mother of presidents!! its about 3 hours south of DC so you could visit the White House while you are near the area!! Also Richmond is a very history rich city that is about 4 hours away. There is Monticello where Jefferson lived and Historical Willamsburg which is wonderful if your into history. Its acres of renactment. Everyone dresses and acts like they did around the time of the civil war. Horse drawn buggies, ladies churning butter :P. There are also plantations you can tour and just soo many things to do. As you can tell I am very in love with my home city and state. I miss it more than I can tell you .

I currently live in Milwaukee, WI. Its ok. There are some nice museums downtown and Lake Michigan is beautiful to look at. I think this is a pretty state also but I guess it depends on what you enjoy the most as far as scenery and activities. I really honestly hate it here, sorry if I offend anyone, its not intended. There are some areas upstate WI that I find really enjoyable. I am suppose to be moving to Hillsboro, WI to be with my fiance it is near the Dells area. Its very sweet, lots of amish families, slower paced and reminds me alot more of home than the big city I am in now. I miss crickets out back at night, honeysuckle on a fence post, and everyone who passes you on the street saying hi or smiling . I am sure lots of people love it here and I am glad for them, for me its just lonely and dirty but maybe its just cause I am a country girl at heart.

KimNWI

Last edited by KimNWI : Mon, Jul-18-05 at 10:05.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 10:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/152/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 73%

We live in south mississippi we also thve those reinactment days here they are fun to see.
I live at least 20 mins from the closest gas station and not a big station the kind you PRAY will actually have gas this time!
The closeset Town is 35 ins away and the biggest thing there is the worlds smallest super wal-mart.
But People are nice and life is Good. we Have a lake and small water park we can go to and camp ( and not have to worry)
and we can drive 45mins and be at the gulf of mexico to play at the beach all day. or dive an jour and half to new orleans to play there.
it is hot most of the year and winter is very mild.
Kids can still ride bikes on the street here safely so I guess thats good. we have a veggie garden just like MOST folks around here. And great big osk trees to sip homemade lemonade or cool Icetea under on the long summer afternoons. OH ....and you can say FLOKS AROUND HERE and no one will look at you funny!
WoW I didn't know I lived in such a great place THANKS for helpping me realize it with your Question.
And if ya'll make it this way you will surely have a place to lay your head.
Charlie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 11:50

BF:

Wow, sounds like alot of us live in beautful places.
Before we moved back to TX I was living in Louisiana near Leesville. I missed those huge pine trees & the lakes or creeks. I didn't want to move back to TX, I think it was mainly cuz of my friends though. But now that I'm back out in the country I love TX.
I wanted to ad for those who come down here the best time to come would be Spring time it's not too hot the highs are around 80's & all the flowers are blooming & in certain areas you can see miles of Blue Bonnets & some other wild flowers too. On my drive home I've seen people pull over just to take pictures of the Blue Bonnets.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:53

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

If you ever take another road trip, come to Canada, it's beautiful.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 20:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I live in the O.C. ( Orange County California ). My city is Orange.This area is very busy , very crowded but relatively safe. Right now it is boiling hot unless you are near the ocean. If you live further inland it can get up to 120 degrees. Being from Ohio, I didn't think that it was possible for it to get hotter than 104 on the planet earth.
The sun shines 90% of the time. The time that we don't see the sun is around January-March ( they call it winter weather ) when we get a lot of rain ( Ohio rains would wash CA off the map ). People complain about the "rotten" weather at this time. Where else can you see daffodils blooming in January? This is also the time to go whale watching.

There is a huge body of water nearby called the Pacific Ocean which is very cool. I live 10 minutes away from Disneyland and it is great to beable to drop off the kids there in the morning and pick them up at night. In an oceanside town called Laguna beach, there is a big arts festival going on. One festival is known as the Sawdust Festival. I can't think of the name of the other festival but it features well known artwork that is reinacted by real people ( models). They are shaded in color, like famous artwork such as the Mona Lisa, for example. They stand very still resembling the art itself.Fascinating!

Around the corner from us is the Discovery Center which is a Science Museum. It isn't as cool as COSI in Columbus, Ohio but it is cool. I love science museums. There are several areas here that have been featured in movies such as the Main Place Mall that is in Kindergarten Cop. My kids walk there. In another corner of Orange, the city, there is a house featured in Big Mamma's House starring Martin Lawrence. We saw parts of that movie being filmed. The Perfect Storm was filmed at Dana Point. Rocky and Bullwinkle, the movie used Chapman University, also in the city of Orange ( Wasa Mata U ). They are calling Orange County "Little Hollywood".

This is a great place to visit but living here is quite a challenge. Housing is thru the roof. This trend is really a new one considering that homes were of a more normal pricing just 4 years ago. Many people are selling their homes and are able to pay cash for homes in states that have reasonably priced properties. During rush hours, highway traffic can be so thick that it is stopped. The highways become parking lots. Some "rush hour", huh.

Lots of good restaurants here and nearly all cater to low carbers from one extent or another. My favorite is in a golf course in Irvine which is 20 minutes away from where I live.

Come out to California on your road trip.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 23:09

BF:

That sounds like a cool place to visit. I love Disney World but never been to Disney Land. That must be in the southern area of Ca. So is it a dry heat or humid heat. I can handle the dry heat but huidity is what gets me.
My husband is from Ohio, when we went it was so cold in the Fall time I could believe it was in the 40's during the day. And this was before Holloween.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 03:03

Plan: bfl
Stats: 179/119/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 102%

My favorite places in the world are Frankfurt Germany and Oahu Hawaii but I currently live in El Paso Texas.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: TNT
Stats: 318/278/199 Male 187 cm
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty
My favorite places in the world are Frankfurt Germany and Oahu Hawaii but I currently live in El Paso Texas.

Hi Zesty, I'm from Stuttgart, Germany. When have you been to Frankfurt? By the way, I will be in Las Cruces in August for 2 weeks. Never been to the US before. And my plane will land on the airport of your town El Paso. Are you German?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/133.0/140.0 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 114%
Smile

Hi, I live in a Easley, South Carolina. I love living here because I am about 4 hours away from the mountains and about 5 hours away from the beach. Everyone knows most everyone in Easley and there's not much crime. Right now our little town is in the Big Time because the Big League World Series is here and ESPN is in town!!!! I don't think that's ever happened! The Big League World Series has been here for the past several years, but this is the first year ESPN has been here to cover it. During football season you will find the stands at the High School filled on Friday night and the TV's turned on on Saturday for the college games. There are many lakes here and camping is a big thing that families like to do. All in all, Easley is a perfect place to live for me because we have friendly people, good food (hence I'm on a diet) , lots of stuff to do and not a whole lot of change.
I hope you will come visit us sometime!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 12:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Niagara Falls, 'free' health care, gun control...