Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 17:41

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
So the one I have is the "original PP book" right?
Yes. And that is the one I tell people to start with BECAUSE, I also harange them to read BOTH books.

The reading of the second book, I found most enlighting after having read PP. It also “sold” me on the Drs. Eades because in the second book the “tweak” they plan, just as you should your own diet. They also used the newer research done between when the two books were written, so PPLP is a totally NEW book. By my count, half of the bibliographical citations for the second book were done after the first book was printed. They even make references in PPLP to what they learned from writing PP.

OH! And welcome to the PP/PPLP part of the lowcarber web site.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 19:12
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Absolutely! You see, frankly anyone who uses the word "harangue" in a sentence correctly I wouldn't mess with! LOL (I'm kidding Larry. **giggle**)

I seriously do agree. It was important to read both. It's like starting at the beginning of a series. With PP you get to see the Eadeses "roots" and the real nitty gritty about this WOE which provided a great basis and then PPLP helps the "how to" part of approaching this WOE and gives you options for fine-tuning it even more.

I have to say that I was FINALLY inspired by these books to do more than just "lose weight". After all these years it finally clicked as to what I needed to do for my body and health with weight loss as a positive "side effect". So glad you're reading it all Ruthla! (Crack me up about the kid shows though...I'll consider myself forewarned! haha)
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 19:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

OK, I've pretty much finished the relevent parts of the book. I didn't re-read all the stuff I've read from other sources about the mechanics of insulin resistance and the merits of a LC lifestyle.

I think it's pretty neat that, after doing all the calculations for my "healthy weight" I came up with a number that makes sense- between 139 and 150. All that from my waist and hip measurments and height? Pretty cool!

Now I'm annoyed with myself for not reserving both books at once; I could have reviewed both of them this weekend.

At this point, I'm sold on LC and emphasizing protein intake makes sense. But how much protein? Am I supposed to figure out my minimum protein requirments based on my LBW or based on my current weight? I need at least 66 grams per day according to the calculations I did today. Should I aim for more than that? A quick review of Fitday reveals that I've been consuming around 100+ grams daily, but that's getting harder to keep up as my appetite (and carb cravings) are decreasing. Today I got 92 grams.

Last edited by ruthla : Thu, Jun-21-07 at 19:42. Reason: I had some hot cocoa and had to update my day's protein intake.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 19:31

Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Let me welcome you too Ruthla!!

I agree with Larry and Lisa. Both books are a must! I like ALL of their books and have most of them!! I love reading Dr. Mike's blog also!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Quote:

At this point, I'm sold on LC and emphasizing protein intake makes sense. But how much protein? Am I supposed to figure out my minimum protein requirements based on my LBW or based on my current weight? I need at least 66 grams per day according to the calculations I did today. Should I aim for more than that? A quick review of Fitday reveals that I've been consuming around 100+ grams daily, but that's getting harder to keep up as my appetite (and carb cravings) are decreasing. Today I got 85 grams.

Ah, now this is where PPLP comes into play. They have a handy chart in the back to look up your protein requirement. For your height and weight at this time is 34 grams per meal. As you lose weight, it goes down.

I hope this helps. I am so glad you are enjoying the book.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 19:43

BF:

So, at 34 grams per meal, I should be having 102 grams per day, so I should try and consume another 10 grams of protein before bed? Or just aim for 102 grams tomorrow and not worry about today?
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 20:22
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
So, at 34 grams per meal, I should be having 102 grams per day, so I should try and consume another 10 grams of protein before bed? Or just aim for 102 grams tomorrow and not worry about today?

I'm answering ONLY for what I would do. Others may not agree. But for me I try to hit the basic minimum (and have gotten to a point of doing it well) but on a day like yours where you are a bit under I wouldn't worry about it unless you're still hungry. I personally think overstuffing or eating at the wrong time on sheer principle is counterproductive. You're trying for a daily protein intake for the benefit of your lean body mass. If it were noon and you were only at 50 that'd be a different story! Worry not about today but get ready for tomorrow and keep treating you body well. It will thank you!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 22:59

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
but that's getting harder to keep up as my appetite (and carb cravings) are decreasing.
That is EXACTLY what PP/PPLP is supposed to do, stop you from being hungry, especially all the time or soon after eating. From my reading of many of the posts here, I would not worry about being “right on” every meal for every day. You need to be close but also DO NOT EAT just because the rest of the world thinks that three meals a day is necessary. See my post in this thread for more on my diet. I wind up being so satisfied that I have stopped eating lunch. If you read more of that thread you will see how much fat helps to curb your appetite.

Go here to see why I have been not posting. And in the morning I will be leaving the big city to go back to the country. SOoo I will be silent again, until the replacement CPU motherboard arrives and gets put in.

The rest of you, don't let Lisa harangue you while I am missing. She gets "cheeky" every time she can, something to do with her "condition" - so she claims.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 07:07

Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Lisa, I agree 100%

Larry, we are heading to the country also!! I have been on Jury Duty this week and I am off today, so off we go!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 08:16

BF:

OK, my first day trying to eat PP for real, and I'm having a rough time with breakfast. I can't seem to get 34 grams of protein into this meal- I'm having a feta cheese omelette with 3 eggs and I'm still at only 24 grams!

I may have to do a modified version of this plan with slightly less protein. Or maybe I'll find that I can eat more protein at later meals and/or snacks, and not worry so much about breakfast.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:37
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Or maybe I'll find that I can eat more protein at later meals and/or snacks, and not worry so much about breakfast.
Bingo. That's what I do. I have a really good protein-filled breakfast...more often of eggs (because I love them for breakfast) but sometimes of leftover meat (which changes the amount of protein I take in). But I don't worry if I don't meet the per-meal total because I'm a grazer and know I'll make it up later. I think you just need to use common sense for how your body will deal with the nutrients. I think sitting down to a meal with half your daily requirement is probably pushing it LOL But having a meal where you are a little shy is no big deal as long as you watch the bigger picture for the day.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 19:30
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
The rest of you, don't let Lisa harangue you while I am missing. She gets "cheeky" every time she can, something to do with her "condition" - so she claims.

Whaaaaaaa?????? Me?????

<giggle>
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 09:28
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd check in with an update and see how everyone else is doing. I managed to get through quite a bad "binge week" last week...pick myself up, dust off the brownie crumbs, and get back to good, LC food. I revisited my high fat approach from before and I feel great. I'm not sure what it was that caused such bad cravings (I hate to just blame it all on my pregnancy, but I have to give some credence to the hormonal swings) but thankfully I made it through and I'm eating really well. As such I managed to drop some water weight and get back to 181, which is where I wanted to hold until my first trimester ends at least. So far so good and I'm now in Week 12 which means I can see the finish line for Trimester 1!! There is definitely a sense of relief and hopefulness...a point where I feel I can be cautiously optimistic, ya know? I also posted in my journal about other things falling into place...the auction at my Mom's this weekend (finally all that may be coming to a close soon) and us finishing our hardcore busy wedding season of May/June (July is still busy, but much lighter - same throughout the fall into October). So things are looking up and I've even been back to the gym. I did my water aerobics class and some weights and felt great. My goal is to keep up my eating and working out during the second trimester while I still can to get a running start into the much more difficult third trimester. (It's so great to feel like I can think ahead about this stuff now - I didn't dare before.)

It's hotter than heck here, so I'm trying to stay cool and keep today a lighter one (meaning groceries, laundry, album design and some vacuuming). Hope you're all enjoying your summer and staying healthy!
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 16:55

BF:

I finally got PPLF out of the library today, and I'm struggling through it. I'm really getting sick of re-reading the same LC info. For now I'm reading the summaries at the end of each chapter but I'll probably read more details when he gets into the changes in the plan since the last book.

Specifically, I hope they go into detail about WHY they've changed the protein requirements from being based on lean body weight to being based on current body weight.

So far today I've had 67g of protein and I'm feeling quite satisfied. The only way to get "enough" protein in today would be to eat a 4th meal later tonight! If I'm going by lean body weight, I've already met my protein recs for today.

I also don't know if my grocery budget can handle this larger protein intake. Do I really want to start buying the cheaper tuna with questionable additives just so I can eat more protein than I feel my body really needs? I can only eat so many eggs in one day!