Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 00:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Welcome! C25K is such a great program. I don't think I would have come to enjoy running as much as I do without it. Best of luck with your hills and the rest of Week 4!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 21:04

BF:

Trying to decide if I want to do a 5K or a 10K next month...hmmm...

It would be cool to try the challenge of a 10K, but it would also be fun to try to improve my time on the 5K. Decisions, decisions!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 05:03

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl
TaraTea- Congrats on the Warrior Dash! So glad you had a great experience. And how fun that your dad and sister are going to sign up next year! What was the best part of the race?

i'd have to say the most memorable obstacle was the poo/algea filled lake in the middle of the 5k. it was hot and it felt wonderful. i have no sense of smell, so i had no idea what i was getting into. everyone else said it smelled awful.

the mud and fire at the end was a good time as well, but i really enjoyed all of it. the hills were killer, but i felt very accomplished since the heat and twisted ankles took out more than one runner.

btw, i always run with a bottle of water. i even decided to buy myself a belt that i can wear that holds a 20 oz bottle of water. i hydrate before, during and after my runs. i love the h20.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 20:20

BF:

Glad you couldn't smell the lake. Yuck! I bet everyone smelled lovely when they came out of it. That does sound like a fun thing to encounter in the middle of running, though. Hurray for no injuries!

I just signed up for a 10K regular race on July 22. Then, I freaked out a little because I have less than month to get ready for it. My current training time is about 1:06 for a 10K. I'm excited about the race, though!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 05:03

i'd say that 1:06 for a 10k isn't so bad. i'd say you're ready. i love race day excitement. so much fun.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 23:04

BF:

It is fun, isn't it? I really like starting and finishing. Hmm...maybe I should be doing more 5K's.

To be honest, that race turned out to be the hardest 10K I have ever run. Many mistakes were made by yours truly. Plus, it was a lot hotter than my normal training conditions. I wobbled over the finish line at 1:03:30. Once I was feeling better, I was pretty happy to have shaved 2.5 minutes off my training time.

But I really liked going through my first water stops! And also getting my first race t-shirt.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 01:31

congrats on your pr for a 10k! that's great. i love the water stops as well and the volunteers that hand out the water are awesome. i'm quite proud of my first 2 race tshirts. i recommend that we collect more of those!

next month i'm doing the glow run in omaha and a local 5k. both are after dark, so hopefully the heat won't be so bad.

do you have any more races planned? i took july off from races so i could get some training time in before the next one. my distance is improving, but i'm still around a 12 minute mile... a little more if it's hot and hilly.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 18:59

BF:

I definitely have to focus more on the people at the stops - I think I was focused on being the smoothest racer through the stops! Which worked great...but the herd that went through slowly always caught me quickly anyway.

Your after dark races sound great! I think not running in the August sun is a good plan. Plus, anything with the name glow just sounds like it will be fun. Do you get something that glows?

No August races for me. I'm planning to participate in our town's race in September. I'm going to do the 5K with some friends, I hope. I'm also registered for an October 10K. And I'm strongly considering signing up for a half on September 30. Part of me is pretty sure I can complete the training, and part of me really is afraid of the distance.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 02:57

i work till 1am most nights, so dark races work well with my schedule. also, i love wearing neon so i'm sure i'll be aglow. i can't wait. the 18th is the glow run and then i signed up neon nights. i'm going to need to get more glow gear!

i think you can complete the training, you'll be okay for a half marathon. your body will tell you... i hope that's how it works. i know 13 miles is something to work towards for me. my longest run is at just over 6 miles at the moment. i try to push myself, but i push gradually. i try not to increase my mileage more than 10% each week. let me know what you decide on the half marathon. i'm thinking next summer for me.

we'll have to update about our race results. i'd like to see a sub 30 5k sometime soon. it's in me, i know it. i just have to keep going.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 01:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTea
we'll have to update about our race results. i'd like to see a sub 30 5k sometime soon. it's in me, i know it. i just have to keep going.
Definitely! I want to hear when you break that barrier!

I signed up for the half marathon (yikes!), so it's time to buckle down on my training. Must. employ. positive. thinking...

Oh, I also decided to throw my hat into the Tokyo Marathon ring. Something like 300,000 people usually try for a spot and only a tenth of them are selected. So my chances aren't that great, but I just kind of thought hey, why not? If I don't get selected, I won't have any regrets that I didn't try. If I do get selected, well, there will be a little panic in the streets. I'll know in mid-October, and the race is in February.

Last edited by ferrygirl : Fri, Aug-03-12 at 01:39.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 05:55

good luck with the half marathon. i know it's possible! get to training and let me know how it goes.

as for the tokyo marathon... sounds awesome! that's a lot of people who love running. i'm sure you'll do fine with both. i bet running through tokyo will be quite an experience.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 19:57

BF:

Thanks, TaraTea! Wow, congrats on being so close to goal! That must just feel amazing!!

Yesterday I tried my first half marathon distance run. It took a long time, but I made it in time. So that was a relief! At races, my brain tends to send me waves of negative messages, so it helps to be able to tell my brain that I've done this before, and everything is going to be OK.

I had a little knee pain after my long run, so I'm going to work on strengthening the leg muscles that I don't use as much. I'm a little confused about which ones they are, so it's time for some education for me.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 07:37

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Hey everyone ... Just found this thread.

I'm currently preparing for 3 races in the next few months ...

1. Super Spartan Race in NJ on Sept 8th. It's an 8 mile obstacle race on a mountain in Northern NJ

2. Spartan Beast in Winnsboro, SC on Oct 13th. This one is a 12+ mile obstacle race on an ATV park.

3. Spartan Sprint in Fenway Park (Boston, MA) on Nov 17th. This is a 1 mile obstacle race time trial INSIDE of the Fenway Park baseball stadium. One of the obstacles that I am looking forward to is climbing the "Green Monster", a 30+ foot tall wall.

My long run this weekend will be 7 miles. It's been years since I've run that far. :-) lol
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl
I had a little knee pain after my long run, so I'm going to work on strengthening the leg muscles that I don't use as much. I'm a little confused about which ones they are, so it's time for some education for me.

i found that lunges, dead lifts and squats help a lot for leg strength. you can also lift to strengthen your core and upper body. all of it helps you run stronger and prevents injuries. just an idea if you're interested.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdan
Hey everyone ... Just found this thread.

I'm currently preparing for 3 races in the next few months ...

1. Super Spartan Race in NJ on Sept 8th. It's an 8 mile obstacle race on a mountain in Northern NJ

2. Spartan Beast in Winnsboro, SC on Oct 13th. This one is a 12+ mile obstacle race on an ATV park.

3. Spartan Sprint in Fenway Park (Boston, MA) on Nov 17th. This is a 1 mile obstacle race time trial INSIDE of the Fenway Park baseball stadium. One of the obstacles that I am looking forward to is climbing the "Green Monster", a 30+ foot tall wall.

My long run this weekend will be 7 miles. It's been years since I've run that far. :-) lol

welcome to the running thread. i've heard of the spartan obstacle races and i wish they would come to nebraska. i'm also interested in the tough mudder for next year. good luck on all of your races. it sounds like fun. let us know how it goes.