Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 10:10

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Can PCOS sufferers lose weight?

My friend who has PCOS insists that her doctor will not allow her to diet. She started the Atkins a few months ago but gave up and said her doc told her not to diet at all. She eats huge portions. As shes about 20 stones I find this worrying. I thought low carb diets were helpful for this?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 10:40

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Good God! She needs to find another doctor ASAP. Losing weight is great for PCOS. Atkins is great for PCOS, even with minimal weight loss. Atkins is the best thing that I ever did for my PCOS, my blood sugar, everything. I hate hearing about women still getting this kind of crappy advice from their doctors!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 11:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Low carb is one of the recommended diets for PCOS.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

I agree, your friend should seriously consider getting a new doc. Almost every woman with pcos will notice dramatic improvement after following a lc lifestyle and losing weight. The fact that her doc is telling her not to lose weight, when obesity by itself is a health hazard, is not a good sign.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 07:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/180/134 Female 5'4
BF:Size 12
Progress: 22%

I did not know I had PCOS. I had no clue why I gained so much weight, I was eating next to nothing. I was going on diet after diet following to the tee to only GAIN weight. Finally when I found out, my doctor told me that it was likely the only way I would lose would be to get rid of processed carbs. She didn't necessarily say low carb, but I got the point. Then I found Atkins and my years of struggling to lose 1 pound turned into losing 40lbs with ease. She now advises South Beath for PCOS and everything else, but respects that I do Atkins. I think if I can lose weight anyone can. I just wish someone would have found out sooner and I would have known how to eat and not put on the weight or at least as much. Some doctors will NEVER change their mind set about dieting, they will go to their graves saying low fat/cal is the ONLY way. I don't see these type of doctors I like ones that keep up to date and check out new things.