Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:06

Plan: first diet cure...now want to try SII
Stats: 163/163/149.5 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question type 1 diab...insulin resistant??

hello, i am confused. i dont mk any insulin since i am a type 1 diab on an insulin pump. i read tons of low carb bks/diets and there is a host of info on type 2 diabetics and how they are insulin resistant, but little or no info on type 1's. and in all the bks NO ONE tells if type 1's are insulin resistant.

someone on another low carb forum said i am neither!!! so, which of the food plans in SP's program do i follow?. someone said the other day i might as well follow the resistant one, but i dont want to do that until i know. i cant afford the testing online.

does anyone out there have type 1 diab on insulin(i'm on a pump) and have an answer for this and not a supposition? thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:10

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

You might want to post a question on the SPII website. I did and they did respond in about a week or so. That is an interesting question. I would not even want to guess.

On your Diabetes food plan what level of carbs do they suggest? I would for now just eat healthy foods, like the Ezekial Bread, Ak-Mak crackers. Stay away from the processed foods and chemicals and hormones and such. When sending the email my suggestion is to keep it simple. The one I sent was long and I was so confused it probably seemed scattered to them. Therefore I was not completely happy with the answer. Just mention that you are not able to do the lab tests right now and ask them what they suggest. Schwarzbein is supposedly training doctors right now on her program. Maybe ask if there is anyone they could refer you to. Maybe that doctor will be on your health plan or at least you can get an out of network benefit.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Marianne
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 11:11

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 154/154/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Have you consulted your endochronologist?

My dear,
You are not insulin resistant. You have an impaired pancreas that can't produce insulin which is why you are on the insulin pump. I hope it is working well for you.
Appropriate control of your BGL's blood glucose levels should always be your aim. Althouugh TSP (l) was written with type ll diabetics in mind, they principles are applicable to type I's.
There are some problems with the ADA diet. But I think it's really important to dialog with your endochronologist about what is best for you. Perhaps your Doctor would be willing to check over TSP (book one) and make specific recommmendations for you.
With a chronic illness your goals and aims are different than for someone without the major glycemic problems you face daily as a type l diabetic.
I applaud you for wanting to be more involved in your health and I wish you good glycemic control for many years to come.