Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-05, 13:50

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink switched from coffee to tea!

Hi All,
I have been visiting here on and off, have read all of Diana's books. I
struggle with eating right, but have just recently stopped coffee and only
drink tea now. I really feel better, not perfect, but better. I have lots of
issues, including thyroid & liver stuff, most probably adrenal exhaustion.
I am about 20lbs heavier than is comfortable for my frame. I am just excited,
as I have tried to quit coffee before only to go back to it again. One of the
symptoms that is gone is a sort of chest pain, soreness on the left side.
It's gone since I stopped the coffee. I have actually wanted to exercise
also. I try to eat according to the Schwarzbein recommendations, cook from
her cookbooks, and I also sort of incorporate the Blood type diet. Since I
am type O, it's sort of a low carb diet, excluding wheat, which is off Schwarzbein in the beginning also. I do lose if I stay away from wheat
and try to get enough meat and veggies. It's just that my metabolism is
probably wacked out from all the years of coffee and stress of 5 kids in 71/2 years. Those kids are alot older now, so that helps. Well, this is longer than
I intended, just wanted to post about what's happening for me, thanks
for reading!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 05:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%

I'm considering doing Schwarzbein's way of eating. My current way of eating is pretty good for me but it needs improvement to fix some screwed up biochemistry. It's been awhile since I read Schwarzbein so I don't remember anything about coffee versus tea but I wanted to tell you about my own switch from coffee to tea. I made the switch because I drink coffee with creamer - corn syrup solids, trans fatty acids, and bunches of other yucky things that didn't need to be going into my body five tmes a day. My tea has become a habit during the work day and I never even think about grabbing coffee anymore. If your tea hasn't become a habit yet, it will I hope. I do green tea mixed with black. The green tea helps with my appetite and the black mixed in makes it taste better. I also add lemon and . . . .shhhh! don't tell . . . artificial sweetener (I know. Someday I'll ditch that nasty stuff too.)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 08:23

BF:

Hey thanks for sharing your switch! I am down to one cup of tea in the am, sometimes iced tea later on, and I drink dandelion tea
or coffee as some call it, if I feel like I want the coffee experience.
It's roasted, so it tastes more like coffee, but it's way better for you. With a bit of soy milk, it tastes nice. My lower back was hurting, and it seemed like a withdrawal symptom from the coffee. I started taking some fish oils and I think it's working, something I read in my old "Zone diet" books. But yeah, tea is
much easier on the system than coffee was!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

OK, I'm convinced that maybe I should try tea. I don't really like tea. DS recommends green tea. I hear it tastes bad. Is any kind of tea OK? I really just like a little sweet taste with my breakfast in the morning, and right now I need the little lift from the caffeine in the morning, too. That's the only time I drink coffee/caffeine. Hope to get off the caffeine in the future, but not yet, not yet. I bought some Stevia to try tomorrow...hope it tastes ok. Actually, I just remembered that DS says you can have coffee and don't have to give it up in the newest book, but I may still try some tea. It doesn't sound like I drink as much coffee as you all did.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 20:29

BF:

Maybe if you just keep the amount of coffee down to one cup in the morning, that's fine. I still enjoy coffee more than tea.
The weirdest thing that I have noticed though is that on the days when I don't have coffee, those nights I remember my dreams. But if I drink coffee in the mornings, I usually wake up in the middle of the night, and don't remember my dreams. It sounds crazy, but I have noticed it now for awhile. I must admit
that I still have coffee occasionally in the mornings, especially if
my husband has brewed it before I wake up. But I am still trying to avoid it, and drink tea instead. I find that I want more than one cup of tea, so I am still looking for that caffeine to wake me up. I think that as we improve our meals to include more balance, it should be easier to avoid or at least decrease the caffeine. If I remember from the books, sugar is worse than
caffeine, so avoiding that and white flour type stuff is more important at first. I guess any progress is helpful!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 20:53

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to hate tea...but love green tea with a bit of splenda!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I used my one grean tea bag today. I brewed it, then stuck a regular decaf (orange pekoe, I think) tea bag in for a few seconds at the very end, b/c I was afraid of the taste. I used Stevia and a touch of cream. It wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted...but it wasn't the worst either. And I felt much better today after breakfast than I have in a long time! When the kids get up from their naps, we're going out to find some green tea...if only I knew where to look! Does the grocery store have it?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 15:28

BF:

Yes, even lipton makes a green tea, as does Salada. I get mine from a Peet's coffee shop near us. But another good one is by the people who make constant comment, I can't remember the
brand name. I'm sure you'll find some. I making some iced right now. I've been feeling dizzy a bit, and the caffeine helps with that, but not too much caffeine, I have to watch it. Still trying
to drink tea, not coffee...My favorite green tea has jasmine leaves in it.