Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 03:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default use of flour in bechamel sauce

Hi Karen,

Sorry to bother you again. I would like to make bechamel sauce for my lasagna but the recipe said to start with melting butter in saucepan and stir in all-purpose flour!!!! Is it to thicken the sauce??? Can i use atkin bakemix instead?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutatip_t
Hi Karen,

Sorry to bother you again. I would like to make bechamel sauce for my lasagna but the recipe said to start with melting butter in saucepan and stir in all-purpose flour!!!! Is it to thicken the sauce??? Can i use atkin bakemix instead?

Thanks,

I'm not Karen, but I can tell you this, there are plenty of fabulous recipes without bechamel (a type of White Sauce). And many of those recipes are right here in the Kitchen Forum, Main Dishes section http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Me, if I ran into a lasagna recipe I wanted to use, I'd ditch completely the bechamel sauce (usually used in Greek cooking not so much Italian cooking anyway) and use ricotta cheese, about the same amount as the sauce called for. MUCH tastier.

I suspect somebody somewhere starting using the bechamel sauce because that way there's less fat (from cream or ricotta cheese) in the recipe....what a waste.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 03:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Me, if I ran into a lasagna recipe I wanted to use, I'd ditch completely the bechamel sauce (usually used in Greek cooking not so much Italian cooking anyway) and use ricotta cheese, about the same amount as the sauce called for. MUCH tastier.

I suspect somebody somewhere starting using the bechamel sauce because that way there's less fat (from cream or ricotta cheese) in the recipe....what a waste.

The use of bechamel in Lasagne Bolognese (from Bologna, in Italy, not Greece) goes back many years before the term 'lowfat' even existed.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I made a bechamel last week for a souffle--I used a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten, and heavy cream in place of the milk. It was thick and delicious. I think the vital wheat gluten worked pretty well as a roux base.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 10:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would opt for the ricotta as Judi suggested. Mix 2 cups with an egg, 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.

You can also thicken cream by using xanthan gum. Here's a thread on thickeners.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ghlight=xanthan

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Oct-26-04 at 05:18.