Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 12:12

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Having Issues!!

Ok let me explain my problem.

I have been lowcarbing since 2017 Jan 1. Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes and a fatty liver.
I have upped my fat for the last 2weeks(due to protein raising my BG) and am having lots of right side pain. I also started IF but stopped due to not being hungry and getting enough calories. So I started 40 -70 grams of fat daily. I am going to have to cut that back because it is bothering me so bad.

Fat used is in meats,CO,heavy cream,EVOO and butter.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I know your fat is suppose to be high and carbs low for it to work but what if I can not longer get that much fat.

Any advice would be great. I hope this is in the right thread if not, sorry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 12:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

If you have been eating low fat, your gallbladder may be out of shape for the way you eat now. Cut back on the fat and see if that helps.

Many of us find vegetables, with butter, cheese, or a cream sauce, is a reasonable amount of fat, nutritious, and filling.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 21:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Considering the good advice to cut down a bit on fat at this time is the observation from Dr. Eric Westman who recommends for those starting low carb, that the "onboard pantry" (the existing body fat many have) provides enough fat to help fill the gap in the beginning, and those who consume too much fat can do so at the expense of not burning as much existing body fat. Yes, healthy fats are good to consume, but do it in moderation in the beginning if you're looking to lose body fat and weight in the process.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 00:24

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pretty much what Rob said.

This is a slide taken from one of Stephen Phinney's many presentations on YouTube. You can see how you don't need to go overboard with the dietary fat at first; ramping that up comes later, once you don't have as much body fat left to lose.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 08:07

BF:

Thanks for the great advice! This all makes sense. I was fine and losing weight till I started If and adding the extra fat. I am going to take it easy for the next couple of days till my pain goes away.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 19:39

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

There is a lot of hype about how much fat you can eat -- it seems that that was one of the gimmick hooks, and indeed, a lot of low carb experts basically say, sure, have a half pound of bacon. It';s a huge selling point for the diet, and if that works for you, fine and great. I have plenty of good fats in my diet, but I don't see the need to drown in them... and 9 months in, my appetite has shrunk. I eat a lot of above-ground veggies -- tonight included broccoli, kale-zucchini-leek coup, and fish with leeks, tomatoes, and liberal amounts of olive oil. I eat bacon and eggs, but I don't gorge on them... I guess each of us has to find our own right balance. The more people who chime in, the more different success stories you'll see, and hopefully, one will work for you. There is no single right way to do this!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 20:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
There is a lot of hype about how much fat you can eat -- it seems that that was one of the gimmick hooks, and indeed, a lot of low carb experts basically say, sure, have a half pound of bacon. It';s a huge selling point for the diet, and if that works for you, fine and great. I have plenty of good fats in my diet, but I don't see the need to drown in them... and 9 months in, my appetite has shrunk. I eat a lot of above-ground veggies -- tonight included broccoli, kale-zucchini-leek coup, and fish with leeks, tomatoes, and liberal amounts of olive oil. I eat bacon and eggs, but I don't gorge on them... I guess each of us has to find our own right balance. The more people who chime in, the more different success stories you'll see, and hopefully, one will work for you. There is no single right way to do this!

Yes this is very true. Everyone will have a different eating regimen.I for one can't eat all the bacon and eggs I want or tons of protein. I have noticed the daily caloric intake of some is around 2000 or above. Mine is around 1200 or so. I have had to switch things up and take things out. Its always a work in progress. My body will let me know the hard way if I have to much fat or protein
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 07:03

BF:

Yes, I am one of those people who love extra fat and seem to stay hungry if I skimp on the protein. I also have to be careful with flax and high fiber vegetables.

Some people do great with the opposite
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 11:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi there
I'm a type 1 (also fatty liver), and found different types of protein effect my blood sugar differently.
Whey- massive spike!!!
Yogurt, cottage cheese- spike!
Cheese, nuts- slight rise
Animal protein (including eggs)- very little/ no effect

I keep it under 65g per day or I pay for it (I'm active, but I'm a small woman- weight wise at least, I'm tall).

For fat, I don't push it or restrict it. I eat many high fat things daily, but I don't drown my salad in oil or veggies in butter. I just use a normal amount.

My carbs are between 28-35 after subtracting fiber (15-25g per day).

Too many veggies aren't great for me. 4-5 servings per day seems like it suits me best, and cooked are way easier on my system than raw.

Good luck experimenting and finding your own needs. We are all unique snowflakes
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 11:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Whey- massive spike!!!
Yogurt, cottage cheese- spike!
Cheese, nuts- slight rise
Animal protein (including eggs)- very little/ no effect

Excellent point: and this goes for all of the macro-nutrients.

It's not just their "count." It's also their composition.

My body can feel the inflammation difference between canola oil (bad!) and hemp or avocado oil (good!)

I can have the same carb count from a starchy vegetable serving (cravings!) or fruit with a meal (works fine!)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 12:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

When I started it was the type of fat that was the issue not the level. I had an issue with oil and cream together. Over time that worked itself out but in the beginning if I was having a salad with oil and vinegar I could not then have a cup of coffee with cream until a few hours later.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 12:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I love intermittent fasting. I do intermittent fasting. But I didn't do IFs in the beginning. I started them at about the 9 month mark into the diet and I'm glad I waited until I was totally fat adapted and well established with this WOE. Once you get into a nice routine with your daily meals and feel rock solid with your diet, then slowly work in a few IFs. For me, it did take a little practice. The first ones were harder. My brain was not comfortable with the idea of missing meals. Soon enough they become quite easy to do. I found that they did wonders for getting my daily FBG to drop. Before IFs they were still in the 100 to 110 range. After working IFs into my diet and eliminating snacking between meals my FBG dropped by about 20 points and has remained there. I typically get FBG in the upper 70's to mid 80's.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 13:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I love intermittent fasting. I do intermittent fasting. But I didn't do IFs in the beginning. I started them at about the 9 month mark into the diet and I'm glad I waited until I was totally fat adapted and well established with this WOE.

Totally agreed. When I was sick I could not do it. Remember, don't force it.

When my body was ready, it was a breeze.