Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 11:13

Plan: #DoingMyOwnThing
Stats: 235/201/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default I Was a Bad Girl and I Loved It

So, a little bit of background info first.

I do moderate-high intensity zumba classes for 1 hr 5x a week. I had been having some low blood sugar and it suuuucked. I have felt so tired for so many days and nearly fainted.

I have a family member who bought cookies and chocolate into the house and when I got home from the gym at about 8pm on Friday night, I saw the open package of keebler m&m cookies on the toaster oven and thought "screw it". Before then, I had eaten 2 eggs with some spinach and mushrooms for breakfast and cream cheese, cucumber, and ham roll-ups for lunch. I decided to try having an apple and some peanut butter right before zumba at 5:30 to combat the horrible low blood sugar I had been getting after classes, and it did help. But then I got home and saw the package in my practically candlelit kitchen, and there must have been some Marvin Gaye music in the background...

So I had about 7 cookies and 2 glasses of milk and it was woooonderful. I also had some chicken salad and ritz crackers and a couple glasses of water and I felt GREAT. My near-perpetual faint headache went away, I stopped feeling cold, I was running around the house. Felt better than I have in days. Even as I write this the following morning, I feel better than I have in awhile and I haven't eaten yet (though I really should since it's 1:15, I just haven't been hungry and I've been in bed all day). I've been doing low-carb since July 15 and go in and out of ketosis depending on the time of the month. I was 199 Friday morning and 201 this morning morning, but I'm not really concerned about that since I know it's not fat.

I've had a couple of moments like this over the past couple months but I always get back on track, hence how I've managed to lose 30 pounds so far. Just wanted to share how good it feels to be bad
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Eva, it sounds to me like you are not eating enough, period.

Feeling perpetually cold, BGs all over the place...signs that you are starving yourself, especially when you do such a physically taxing exercise as Zumba several times a week.

If I were you, I'd try eating a lot more fat for the next week. Stop the Zumba while getting solidly into ketosis, and see how I feel.

You are not supposed to be cold, and hungry, on a LCHF eating plan. You are supposed to be satisfied and feeling healthy.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 13:26

Plan: #DoingMyOwnThing
Stats: 235/201/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Eva, it sounds to me like you are not eating enough, period.

Feeling perpetually cold, BGs all over the place...signs that you are starving yourself, especially when you do such a physically taxing exercise as Zumba several times a week.

If I were you, I'd try eating a lot more fat for the next week. Stop the Zumba while getting solidly into ketosis, and see how I feel.

You are not supposed to be cold, and hungry, on a LCHF eating plan. You are supposed to be satisfied and feeling healthy.

I am definitely considering that I may not be getting enough food. In response to not being meant to be hungry on a LCHF diet, I completely agree with you- it's just that I rarely get hungry. I don't try to restrict or count calories in any way. Often I'll eat until I'm not hungry anymore, but the headache and the cold feelings still don't really go away. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with low-carbing and that it has/does work tremendously well for me. It (the low-BG symptoms) might just be that I'm eating at the same level I did when I was sedentary and it needs to be upped now that I'm active-ish.

Also, I'm sure I could have gone without the cookies and milk if I wanted, I just made a decision to be reckless and then I was past the point of no return :P In my humble opinion, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have meals or days when you go over your regular carb count.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Heh. For me, it is, especially if I would do it with grains. I haven't had them for so long that when I do, I feel like I'm swimming through a fog the next day. AND it stalls me for 2 weeks, which I hate.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 21:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"But then I got home and saw the package in my practically candlelit kitchen, and there must have been some Marvin Gaye music in the background..."

Oh, this had me cracking up!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 21:42

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
"But then I got home and saw the package in my practically candlelit kitchen, and there must have been some Marvin Gaye music in the background..."

Oh, this had me cracking up!

I laughed at that one too!!