Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:26

Plan: Keto
Stats: 180/145/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default I fought the carbs and the carbs won!!!

Help, help!!!
I was doing so well with my 60 to 70 carbs a day and staying at 1400 to 1500 calories a day and when this weekend came. Saturday I couldn't help myself but have, not one, but two bowls of ice cream. Everyone at the party was eating banana splits and so I had some. I even had some chocolate cake, tortilla chips with salsa, a hamburger with the buns. I knew it was bad, but I just figured if I blew it, I might as well enjoy.
Well, then Sunday came and I was eating everything I wasn't suppose to, like cereal for breakfast, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, and Monday I was trying start over with induction, but we had dinner at my friend's and I had some mashed pototoes with gravy and an apple pie for dessert.
(Of course I was feeling sick and my headaches are coming back from low blood sugar.)
I got on the scale this morning and I gained all the weight that I barely lost in two months and added an additional four pounds!
I haven't eaten breakfast this morning, just had my coffee with cream and splenda.
I need to get me back on track. Help me, for I have sinned. I feel really bad right now. How long should I stay on induction if I wasn't losing much, if nothing, to begin with? Should I stay at <20 carbs a day even if I'm not losing anything for the entire 14 days? The "not losing" part got me off of induction in the first place. I've read the book back to back so many times, I can recite it in my sleep, but I still don't lose any weight on induction for some reason. UGGGHHHH!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

HA HA HA....NOw that was a funny post! OK...I would suggest that you do the induction phase for a couple weeks...just to get your body back into the mode ...more your mind than your body!! Just my opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:41

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%

I know what your feeling honey!
My daughter had to be put in the hospital this last weekend for dehydration and I just ate anything I could snack on or get ahold of. Well, she got to come home Sunday evening but I have still been eating everything.
Every time I get back on I do so good for about 4 or 5 days then BAM I blow it. I know what I Should eat. Know how many carbs. but for some stupid reason those carbs just keep jumping in my mouth! LOL I hate that.
I need some kind of carb detector that that beeps loudly and says Don't eat that! Don't eat that! Yer butt's big enough!whenever I pick something up. HA! It's hard getting on track with four children wanting cookies and candy constantly.

Amber, you know what to do just as much as I do. Stick with the 20 and under for 2 weeks. A full 2 weeks, and you will see the difference. And remeber to count those carbs in your splenda and cofee. They add up.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:49

Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

I know with me, I can't allow myself one cheat,
because then it makes it easier to cheat a 2nd time, 3rd time.
I allowed my self a lattee light and now I want it all of the time. Better to be good and not cheat for myself now.
I also know the weight is coming off slow here too and it makes me want to cheat much more
but, I will win this battle and not give in again
( I HOPE)
sandi
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:59
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

I just had to read this post, because I LOVE the title!

Seriously, though... if you're not losing at all, you may consider the section Dr. A. wrote about candida, and (I know how difficult this is to swallow) stay away from the dairy, vinegar and fermented foods for a while to see if there's any improvement. (I'm sure there are other threads that discuss the subject, too.)

Just a thought....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:02

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Were you really losing on 60 to 70? I wish I could. That many carbs leaves me with cravings too.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:12

BF:

I started my induction again today! I'm back to square one.
Okay, I had a half a cup of coffee this morning with some cream and splenda. I dumped out the other half after reading the carbs sneaking up on me from the cream and splenda.
Right now I'm eating two eggs scrambled in 1Tbsp olive oil with half an ounce of cheese sprinkled on top and two sausage links.
So far, so good.
I know I can do this. I know I can, I know I can, I know I can.....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:13

Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

I agree that perhaps you should try a more strict induction period that Dr. A spells out. And remember this isn't a 'magic trick' that didn't work right for you. This is a healthy WOL that targets our INDIVIDUAL insulin needs. I lost 5 extra lbs with the flu, and I have a sneaking suspicion it had more than a little to do with me drinking a ton of water instead of my morning coffee. Use my plan, post your intake, and relax. I am thinking of OWL as more like induction +. I lost 20 lbs in the first 2months, but I really still don't consider myself off induction. I've been more lenient (still under 20 carbs) the last two weeks, and haven't lost. I haven't gained either, and at this point, with how stubborn my weight is, that's good enough for me. My point is, I wouldn't think of induction as a 2 week sacrifice that will end. The induction phase is a tool that I plan to use for the rest of my life. It is a WOE that is the basis of the way I eat now. This has to be a lifestyle change to be successful. "Treat" yourself in carb free ways like take a day off, get a manicure, go to the beach, rent a cheesy girl movie... You CAN DO THIS!!! A question I've had for you this week is, when you were on induction, were you eating enough? were you taking in enough fat? Maybe you didn't pull your body out of starvation mode. Maybe your mind's still in starvation mode too. GOOD LUCK AND GOD SPEED!!! Keep us posted, we're rooting for you!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:54

BF:

YM,
I think I'm still one of those people who fear FAT. I might not have been eating enough fat on induction when I was on the first two times. I'm sure my body or mind thought I was starving with low carbs and low fat.
This morning, I actually had some olive oil with my scrambled eggs. Usually, I'll have boiled eggs and my coffee for breakfast.
Lunch would be salad and tuna or a beef patty.
Dinner would just be some tuna with mayo.
But, I always drink lots and lots of water.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:07

Yeah, that's what I figured. I hear you on that too. It was difficult for me to stomach this WOE at first, but I had to remind myself that my LF WOL made me 40 lbs heavier in 3 years!!!! I still sort of have to suspend my thinking, and not think about how I eat. I suggest going to Wendy's (or outback or Ruby Tuesdays) and ordering a big juicy bacon cheeseburger with no bun. SO TASTY! Or how about some bacon with your eggs? Sort of sweet, salty, chewy, and crunchy. It's my craving killer. It's just a matter of retraining our brains. I'm not saying it's easy, but I think it's the only way to be successful with this. An alternative would be SB, but I think with the small amount of sweets and carbs, and the fat deprivation--I would have not cut my addiction to carbs that way. I was a total breadhead and love that I now look at starches like they're styrofoam. Maybe it's a better fit for you, though. I think I'll modify into more of a SB plan for maintenance. I've never ingested so much butter, bacon and beef in my life. I don't know that that's the way I'll always want to eat. My husband is doing a kind of modified SB with great success. Find what works for you. I think LC is where it's at, but there are many ways to go about it.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:11

Default Btw

LF, HF or whatever, that is simply not enough food or variety to satisfy you or get you out of starvation mode. Think about what you really enjoy eating. You have to enjoy the food you're eating to be able to stick with any plan. Atkins is freeing for me, but when I stop enjoying it, I'll switch to turkey burgers. You gotta eat girl! That's the hardest lesson for some of us to get used to--we're SO brainwashed by the diet industry!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/180.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Oh Amber how I know how you feel!!!

I have actually spent 2.5 years doing exactly what you are doing! I was great during the week then the weekend came with friends and food. I have finally started sticking to the plan the past 3 weeks. Now, of course, I've screwed up so much that the weight is not coming off even with induction! Please don't do what I've done.
Now, how am I sticking with it you ask? Well, first off I'm lucky to have my live in BF on plan with me. That's made a world of difference. But secondly, my mantra is: I'M WORTH IT!! I'm worth having a teeny butt and being sexy. I'm worth people noticing me, I'm worth putting myself first to achieve these goals.
I've never taken better care of myself. My nails are always done, I wear makeup EVERY single day with earrings mind you.
I'm not saying that this is sure fire, but it's really really helped me.
I do see inches coming off now. I'm down a pant size even without losing pounds. It's amazing to do so while eating all the yummy things.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:51

BF:

You all are the reason I can never stay away from this forum. I know we're only human and yes, we are brainwashed by the diet industry. The food pyramid was hammered into my brain as a child and now that I try to eat fat, butter, chicken skin, mayo, oil, on induction is really, really difficult for my to swallow.
Not only is it the fear of fat, but also the fear of ingesting too many calories, so therefore, I ate low calories and low fat on induction each time. I'm fearing I will be doing the same thing this time around.
What was the fat to protein to carb percentage again? Does anyone remember?
I put my breakfast on fitday and I'm eating more fat just with the sausage and olive oil from breakfast this morning. Should I have thrown a pat of butter on my scrambled eggs? (Shudder) I still get goose bumps thinking of the fat. I have to make fat my friend. Fat is my friend, fat is my friend, fat is my friend...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:39

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

FAT IS your friend, on THIS diet!! It is true! If you want to LOSE weight, you have to get rid of your FAT FEAR!! When you cut your carb intake to under 20..your body searches for FAT to eat, if you don't give it carbs OR Fat, you will be in starvation mode and will NOT lose weight! Try induction the way it is written for 2 weeks and you will be pleasantly surprised! DONT COUNT CALORIES..count your CARBS!!! Stay under 20 carbs. Eat no more than 4 ozs of cheese per day, no more than 3 sugar subs, no more than 3 TBS of cream and then eat as many eggs, meat, fish, and FATS as you want! Eat mayo, butter and olive oil to your hearts content. If your hungry EAT!!! Dont let yourself go hungry or you will only stall your weight loss!! YES, add a pat of butter to your eggs everyday!! YES, add a TB or more of butter to your veggies every night!! Make yourself some tuna salad or egg salad with mayo!! Cook yourself some hamburger patties and add some cheese and mayo to them! This is the way i am eating..and i am LOSING on induction! DONT FEAR THE FAT!! It IS your friend on this WOE!! And DONT cut your calories so low! Dont even count them. Plug your daily food into fit day and make sure its 65% fat+/2-5% Carbs/ 30 % protein...or around that...if you plug it in and your fat only comes to 55%...then ADD some FAT !!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 12:56

BF:

Thanks JLM,
I definitely know I need not fear the fat.
I'm going to measure myself for the very first time ever today and see what my progress looks like after induction.
I can feel a major headache coming on. I hate when I get them once I start on induction. I sometimes have it for a few days and that's when I eat bread! The headaches really get to me. But, I know once I'm passed that, I'm fine. It's going to be a challenge ignoring my massive headache. I'm already thinking about eating some toast with butter to get rid of my headache. Yikes! Red alert, red alert, red alert...
What do you all do to get rid of these headaches, if you do get them?
64 ounces of water so far today.