Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 23:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I too have the Metabolic Diet book. Not surprisingly to me I am the 'protein-type'. My only complaint about the book is he obviously didn't do his research on the blood type aspects. Having once been a devotee of the blood type diets I find his coverage of that area stands out as glaringly sparse. I actually do still recommend the blood type diet, but if you are an A-type I think maybe use his basic recommendations as to what to eat or not to eat, but modify it according to how well you respond. My Dad did quite well on the A-type recommendations, but I did not. I have a friend who is a B-type and the blood type diet helped her a lot! My sister is an O-type and his basic recommendations for O's goes right along with the low carb/high protein lifestyle, which agrees with her just fine (as long as she follows it).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:33

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default blood type diet

I find the blood type versus metabolic type very confusing. According to the blood type diet, I should be eating vegetarian, something that I know makes me feel terrible. Plus, alot of the veggies and fruits he claims are good for me, I am allergic to.

The metabolic type fits me to a tee. I definately feel better eating higher protein and fat. I still like veggies, and eat alot of them, but I can't exist on them. And forget tofu, and beans and brown rice make me want to gag.

I started wondering if maybe I am wrong about my blood type. But I am sure it's A. Plus my DH is O, and there is a difference in both books with him, too. One says high protein, one says he is a mixed type. I tend to lean toward the metabolic type diet. Just seems like he did ALOT more research, in general.

I think the most important thing is keeping a food journal, and keeping track of what makes you feel the best.

ps

Wanda, I started a journal, it's pretty sparse so far!

-Jess
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/272/151
BF:
Progress: 20%

This is interesting to me. I have had FMS for a very long time. I am also fighting with a yeast problem that surfaced in early December. I had a very stressful time from July-December and that is when the beast surfaced. My Fibro was really nasty during the same time. I guess my body just got tired of my internalizing stress. There has to be a better way of dealing with family. I am also a type II diabetic. I just recently got off high blood pressure meds courtesy of my Atkins diet.

I have been extremely fortunate to find an M.D. in my area who is a bariatric doctor and specializes in FMS, CFS, Yeast, Weight, etc. It is his belief that, even though my T4 tests show my thyroid to be in the normal range, I have a thyroid issue. I have no idea as to what came first. Most likely it was the yeast - I am shipping off my stool samples to the Great Smokies lab (mentioned on the about.com site) today for analysis. I will be extremely relieved to know exactly what I am fighting.

I began the Atkins diet on January 7 and have felt better than I have for 40 years. I am 54. It is my belief that my problem began when I was 14 1/2 and had a serious kidney infection. I was in the hospital for a week and on intensive antibiotics during that time. My irritable bowel issues began after that and my daily headaches began after that. My daily headaches have reduced dramatically since beginning the Atkins diet - no longer daily. My IBD has also improved.

I have been on 3 rounds of Diflucan in January and early February. I did 7 days of Sporanox in late February and had to go off for several days to do the speciman collection. I am now resuming the sporanox. I am miserable at the moment. I itch and I hurt from the irritation in the vaginal area. Not fun. I hope to get off the Rx meds asap as they have some dangerous side effects that are possible in some people, but for now will be relieved to not be itching.

My new doctor has put me on Ultra Flora Plus DF Capsules made by Metagenics to help restore my gut to a healthy state. He has also put me on a thyroid med. He also said that I was on an excellent diet for my problem.

I lost 10 1/2 pounds initially with Atkins, but with all the meds and instability in my system right now I am not losing. This is where patience and persistence comes into play. I keep on keeping on because it is best for me and I do feel better even with the itchies.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 18:06
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%
Talking Hang in there!!!

All the itchies and flare ups are good things. It's the yeast dying off!! I also believe the candida/firbo/cfs/ibs connection. Candida fills you with toxins that affect everything in your body. I've had symptoms of all of them plus more off and on for years and now I know it's the candida. I'm fighting it now. Mental difficulties, anxiety and depression are also the candida. It rained the last 2 days and I was stressed out, I sat in the tub and cryed for half an hour this morning. Took some of my yeast killer, went out in the sun for a couple of hours and felt great when I got home.

Good luck to us all...fight the good fight!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 19:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/272/151
BF:
Progress: 20%

Today is a difficult day - I feel like I am in a haze. Strange as I was just getting used to the clear mind coming back. Anyway, I started my acidophillus and Sporanox yesterday a.m. and suspect that the sleepies, etc. have something to do with getting rid of the yeast. Having never done this before I am not sure.

I ordered some books on yeast and they should arrive next week. I am trying to eliminate stuff from my diet that would cause an extra issue, like cheese. Doing Atkins already has me headed in the right direction.

Actually I don't know if this site gets a kick back when we order from Amazon or not, but I linked to the book from here so hope they do.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:19
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Absolutely. Fatigue is the yeast. Some days I can hardly stay awake. Depression is a problem for me. Can be over whelming at times. The difference between yestereday morning and this morning makes me feel bi-polar at times. But I know I'm doing something about it so when the days comes and the horrible mood swings disappear, I'mm gonna have a big a** party!!!

Good Luck on your journey!!

Liz