Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 18:00

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
What's peristalsis?

I think it's, um, well the muscular contractions of the digestive process. Moving downwards. Granted, I've picked that up from context alone in past discussions of magnesium, it's probably worth a wikipedia hit.

Having an interesting transition in my feed window (I'm about a month back on dayshift now). I was eating lunch at 12:30, dinner around 5:30. I'm noticing now that I'm starting to eat bigger lunches and not having much interest in dinner. I live three minutes from work, and I have an hour lunch, so I've been coming home for lunch, and today I cooked myself a steak. It's about 8pm now and I'm just not hungry.

Having the evening meal be my 'main' meal of the day is the last bit of habitual eating I've stuck to since beginning IF...it'll be interesting to see if my body actually prefers the main meal to be lunch.

I also keep meaning to post this for posterity's sake...when I first started IF, I posted a lot here and elsewhere on the forum about some anxiety issues I was having (they were partially related to work stress, but I was never able to be certain they weren't linked to the diet changes, because it all started at the same time). I just want to mention that it's all completely gone now, and aside from life's little ups and downs I feel 'normal' all the time now. No anxiety, no weird hunger pangs or anything like that...I eat when I'm hungry, don't eat when I'm not, that's about it. I've been taking vitamin D supplements also, about 5-6k IU, and I think it's the first supplement I've actually been able to 'feel' a difference on--I just generally feel clearer, and I don't have that constant run-down feeling anymore. Of course, that could also be from months away from carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 20:21

Plan: Low carb/low fat
Stats: 234/209/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:43%
Progress: 30%

Hey all, I updated my weight stats yesterday to 207. Yes, I had picked up a little before joining this forum. But this morning I weighed in at 205. YIPPEE!!

I know it's from IF and working out. I think I'll be doing this for awhile. On the weekends I'm going to eat only once a day around 3ish and the next day at the same time, since I'm not really that active on weekends.

I also have a challenge going on. If I'm not back into the 190's by Aug. 8th, I'm heading back to fitness bootcamp. With IF and walking/working out, that should be doable if I diligently watch what I eat.

Hey, do any of you have a day where you indulge a treat? We have movie night on Fridays and I had been allowing myself one snack. I'm trying to scope around for some lc "safe" snacks where I can enjoy my fridays w/o waking up the carb monster.

I will weigh again on Monday to see if my plan is working.

Ok everyone, have a gr8 weekend!
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 23:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
So the stomach growling is a sign that you're not finished digesting the last meal? That makes so much more sense than hunger!

Yet, something else to read. http://www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/belching.html

I actually learned that stomach growling was the result of peristalsis at the Bodies in Motion display in Las Vegas. It is an educational display of real bodies that have been preserved through plasticization ( sp? ). All of the bodies are posed to reflect the way musculoskeletal system. There are also healthy and sick organs on display. I took the time to read many of the short essays that came with each display including the one on the digestive system and that is where I learned that growling was symptomatic of peristalsis.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 14:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Okay, I have a question about blood glucose. I don't know much about diabetes but we got a blood glucose meter last fall. I took a glucose tolerance test a couple years ago - after I went gluten-free but before I started low-carb - and they said I was fine. But because of fatigue issues I wanted to check for myself.

I haven't been very regular with monitoring, but every time I check my blood sugar it's pretty low. I don't really know what's normal, either for a standard eating pattern or for IF. Here are some brief notes and measurements - I'd appreciate hearing if you think these are cause for concern.

July 10 (I think I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner that day)
8:25 - 75
10:18 - 72
2:40 - 73
10:50PM - 80

July 11 (probably no breakfast or lunch, not sure)
9:05AM - 69
4:30PM - 79 (no lunch, but after a little coconut milk)

July 17 (back on IF, I think, eating around 3PM-11PM)
4PM - 79

July 25 - tired all day
11PM - 86

July 26 - trapeze in morning, 2 anchovies at lunchtime
7:30PM - 73 (fresh sausage around 7)
11:50 - 69 (1/4 lb turkey around 11)
12:50 - 72

July 27
10AM - 64
11AM - 81 (immediately after a spoonful of coconut milk with water)
12 noon - 76
4PM - 76 (African Elixir herb tea with Rooibos at 2PM)
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 20:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Even at its highest, I would consider your BS as low. I am going to see what is considered low on web md or menshealth.

Okay Capmikee, This is what I found on Web MD. Your BS is somewhat borderline between low and normal.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypogl...-topic-overview

Last edited by black57 : Sun, Jul-27-08 at 20:28.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:04

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Wtf???

Okay, have you all seen this blog entry by Dr. Eades?

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...fasting-part-2/

It's on a different site, but says it's from the Dr. Eades blog.
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:51
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Yes, there was a discussion of it in the IF thread (Part 3) prior to this one. Look back around page 100 or so (early March).
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default WOW! Just WOW.

Hello everyone! Over the past few days I have lost count of how many pages I have read on the IF board; my eyes are bugging.

I want to try this; I have played with all kinds of variation of LC, fasting, ETL, you name. This has been in my bookmarks forever and just re-found it.

I have one question though: do any of you take meds that have to be taken with food? How does that affect your IF plan? I would love to ease into the 20/4 schedule, with my eating window starting at around 7:30pm (we eat dinner around then, we are a late family). That's fine for my evening dose of my med; but then I would need to take my other dose in the a.m., waaaaay before my window opens?

Any suggestions? Does coffee with cream count as food? I will be one of those who wouldn't be able to give up my coffee, LOL.

thanks!

~~t
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 14:32

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Yes, there was a discussion of it in the IF thread (Part 3) prior to this one. Look back around page 100 or so (early March).

Thanks Karen,

Seems that there was tonnes of discussion about this.

I also read there about cold hands and cold feet. Is that something that many have felt, or just the select few?
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 20:41

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moosmom
Hello everyone! Over the past few days I have lost count of how many pages I have read on the IF board; my eyes are bugging.

I want to try this; I have played with all kinds of variation of LC, fasting, ETL, you name. This has been in my bookmarks forever and just re-found it.

I have one question though: do any of you take meds that have to be taken with food? How does that affect your IF plan? I would love to ease into the 20/4 schedule, with my eating window starting at around 7:30pm (we eat dinner around then, we are a late family). That's fine for my evening dose of my med; but then I would need to take my other dose in the a.m., waaaaay before my window opens?

Any suggestions? Does coffee with cream count as food? I will be one of those who wouldn't be able to give up my coffee, LOL.

thanks!

~~t

Depends on the meds. Generally that advice is given to avoid stomach upset, which may or may not be a problem for any given person.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharper
Depends on the meds. Generally that advice is given to avoid stomach upset, which may or may not be a problem for any given person.

Richard--thanks for the reply. It's an NSAID, I have rheumatoid arthritis and I take that twice per day and another med once a week. The once a week med is not a problem as I take that one right before going to sleep to avoid nausea.

I've never tried taking my NSAID without food....I might try it before officiall starting IF, see what happens, and if I have to, I'll have a bite to eat
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 08:47

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moosmom
Richard--thanks for the reply. It's an NSAID, I have rheumatoid arthritis and I take that twice per day and another med once a week. The once a week med is not a problem as I take that one right before going to sleep to avoid nausea.

I've never tried taking my NSAID without food....I might try it before officiall starting IF, see what happens, and if I have to, I'll have a bite to eat

I use alka-seltzer, also an NSAID. This is aspirin plus carbonation. Aspirin is notable for its stomach irritation, but the carbonation "solves" that.

You might try carbonated water, like Crystal Geyser... basically a lightly flavored water with co2 added. Lots of brands on the market... Costco carries the version we use.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 13:35

When it comes to bottled water, I'm a total snob. I always look for fancy spring water, carbonated, in a glass bottle. San Pellegrino, Gerolsteiner, and one from Arkansas (I think) called Mountain Spring or Mountain Valley are my favorites. Since plain water is a pretty large proportion of what I drink, and I'm well below the "64oz per day" insanity, I don't feel too bad about springing for quality.

We have a soda machine too - I like our own tap water carbonated but we've been procrastinating about ordering cartridges for it.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 15:15
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

There's something that will carbonate tap water? I can make my own Perrier? Please tell me more
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
There's something that will carbonate tap water? I can make my own Perrier? Please tell me more

There certainly is. It's a bit old-fashioned - when my vegan friend saw it he said "Oh, that's the thing the Three Stooges used to spray in each others' faces!"

Most of them use little CO2 cartridges, but there's one called The Soda Club that uses a big old tank. Much more economical, but slightly harder to come by. We have a Mr. Fizz .
Closed Thread