Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:48

Plan: My Own
Stats: 275/272/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question Low GI (glycemic index) Dieting???

does ANYONE know if Low Carbing is also like Low GI Dieting??? i have been Counting Calories and im learning about keeping my Glycemic Index LOW... anyone have any advice???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actually, there is a Low GI diet.
Right now I do carb cycling, which is half low carb and half low gi.

Basically it's all low carb......and then I add in low gi foods like fruit, oatmeal and whole grain breads/pasta........oh and you can have fat free milk.

Did that help any?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 20:25

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello:

I'm using a low gi plan developed by Rick Gallop. It's AWESOME!!! I love it and I don't feel deprived and I don't have to worry about counting calories or carbs or anything!

Also there are TONS of DELICIOUS Low GI recipes on the recipe board!

If you want to talk GI, have questions, can't find the recipes or whatever, let me know!

BTW, I'm just now getting started with GI AGAIN and have been on track for the past 2.5 weeks. I've lost over 15lbs...but I've also been exercising 6 days/week so....

But let me know...I'd be happy to share!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

The difference between low carbing and low GI is very subtle in some ways and great in others. Either way, it's not easy to explain in just a few sentences. Having found it very confusing myself when low GI diets first became popular, I drew up a a summary of the similarities and differences, which you can find on my site at http://www.gidietrecipes.com/aboutlowgi.htm - hope this helps.

Jackie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 10:19

Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have been low-carb and am diabetic and would love to eat low gi if it will be as good as atkins for controlling bs. but it doesnt look like its a very active forum
Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 22:48

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 195/162/155 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I love Low GI, I have lost more with that in the past few months than I have ever lost doing strict low carb. Basically what it deals with is what makes your blood sugar levels rise - avoid those foods - when you avoid those foods, it comes off of your waist first. There are a ton of websites out there supporting this way of eating. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 15:23

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

The whole idea of the glycemic index diet is to keep from having huge swings in our blood glucose levels after eating. This is accomplished by eating foods that are low on the glycemic index to help us figure out which carbs we can eat and which to avoid. Not all carbs affect our blood glucose levels the same way, thus we have the index. If you are following the low GI diet you can eat some complex carbs, but should stay away from simple carbs. (Sound familiar?)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 18:17

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

I go back and forth between LC and low GI diet plans. I lose weight more quickly on LC, but for me, I find low GI a better fit. I can have my whole grains, and plenty of fruit compared with the LC plan. So, I low carb for about 2 weeks, then do a week of low GI.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 13:11

Plan: LOW GI
Stats: 246.5/246.5/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question carb cycling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby_one
Actually, there is a Low GI diet.
Right now I do carb cycling, which is half low carb and half low gi.

Basically it's all low carb......and then I add in low gi foods like fruit, oatmeal and whole grain breads/pasta........oh and you can have fat free milk.

Did that help any?

Hiya, i've decided to start low GI....i'm very interested in this carb cycling you mention in your post... is there a specific book that can help or do you just merge the 2 diets with common sense?

Thanks
Tina
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (post WLS)
Stats: 384/226/195 Female 189 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%

There is a book called The Healthy Low GI Low Carb diet by Dr Charles Clark and Maureen Clark. It is an interesting read. Explains the combo of the two WOE very well.

I think the two can fit hand in hand very nicely
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 23:21

Stats: 272/247.6/200 Male 73.5
BF:Too High
Progress: 34%

My doctor supports the low GI diet for me because my fasting blood glucose level is in the pre-diabetic range. I've been choosing low GI foods and feel a lot better. I call my diet "whole foods" diet, but I am looking at the GI and carb counts to decide what to eat. I have eliminated flour of any type, sugar except in fruit, and alcohol, mainly beer or wine which is likely the number one reason I am overweight. My wife is happy I am not drinking any alcohol which to me is a little unreasonable, but if I drink beer or wine, my appetite goes into overdrive so I need to just not drink even though alcohol is not generally high on the GI. This is what I am doing and I believe I will see my weight come down a lot. I also am exercising by walking and lifting weights at a beginner level. I noticed that I am not hungry unless I have forgotten to eat, I don't think I am eating more than a couple thousand calories a day, but I am not counting calories. I have lost some weight already and although I want results very fast, I am trying to make this a lifestyle change. I am trying to come to terms with slow and steady is the better way to lose it. I am sure I have all the emotional hangups about food as many others have. I have a problem with grazing for food after supper too, which has now been brought under control. Glad to see a post about the GI.
David