Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 01:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/194/160 Female 58
BF:
Progress: 11%

[QUOTE=Bellyfat1]Even though I am new to this website, I've been doing low carb off and on for years. Every Spring I lose weight for Summer, then by Fall the weight starts to creep back on. This past Spring the weight did not come off, and I am afraid that I will continue to gain even more. My 50th Anniversary and reunion are both this May and I'm afraid that my weight will still be the same as it is now. My husband and I both started low carb together in Dec. He has lost 15 lbs to my 4. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm staying away from the carbs for now. extremely hard for me to do!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 11:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyfat1
He has lost 15 lbs to my 4. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm staying away from the carbs for now. extremely hard for me to do!

Men - darn them - tend to lose weight more quickly. The only suggestions I can give are the ones I did & still do. The main one was to get rid of everything in the house that was a temptation. At the grocery store I stick strictly to my list - I rarely go into the center of the store. All the real food that is low carb is around the perimeter.

Read! Read everything that will give you encouragement and information.

Take safe food with you to any gathering where food is a big part of it. It's helpful if you can eat things like nuts (I can't) but there are a lot of foods that are portable. I've even eaten my own food at small restaurants. No one has commented on it - yet. If I can't do that, I eat beforehand so I won't be tempted. I attend a monthly meeting that meets at a local buffet famous for their desserts. I eat lunch before going to the meeting and only get coffee (I checked with the manager to make sure that was OK). Being a senior citizen I get the coffee for free! I sometimes notice the goodies that other's are eating, but fortunately, I'm usually too busy to be tempted.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 11:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Here's what works for me:
  • When we eat to appetite, I find I naturally vary my intake.
  • No snacking -- I do two big meals, and nothing else.
  • Supplement: Everybody needs D3 and more C. You could get some help with Chromium picolinate, the cravings killer!
  • ONLY important carbs: I only eat my favorite vegetables, the darkest chocolate, the best meat I can afford.
  • I don't consider myself deprived. What I lack in food I get back in HEALTH.

If you shared a typical day's menu, we might have more insights for you.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 13:58

BF:

I guess that I fell off the wagon at the dance. Couldn't resist the pretzels, a few candy kisses, popcorn etc. Mostly what they had was ok for a low carb diet. I've been naughty the last three days and gained 4 lbs back.. It just shows me that I can't eat like most people do. The rest of my life will have to be nothing but low carb.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I guess that I fell off the wagon at the dance. Couldn't resist the pretzels, a few candy kisses, popcorn etc. Mostly what they had was ok for a low carb diet. I've been naughty the last three days and gained 4 lbs back.. It just shows me that I can't eat like most people do. The rest of my life will have to be nothing but low carb.

There are worse things. Like not knowing, now THAT is a problem. I see people every day that are so frustrated because they think they know what to do, and it's not working!

I know over the years I have gotten the "I'm not fat anymore, I'm normal, I can eat that!" idea in my head and slid down the slippery slope from time to time. Have hopefully finally realized I'm not normal and I can't eat that, I hope. Time will tell.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
It just shows me that I can't eat like most people do. The rest of my life will have to be nothing but low carb.

That's true for most - if not all - of us. Low carb is really a way of life, not just a diet. Fortunately, if you are low carb for just weight loss, once you have lost the weight, you may be able to maintain at a higher carb level.

Those of us who are diabetic don't have that to look forward to. (Feeling sorry for myself here! )
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 11:57
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I'm new here also, and like you I have done the low carb/ low fat on and off for years. I've done everything under the sun and lost & regained. I finally got it through my head that I cannot eat -wheat, sugars, yeast, and most dairy's. My body tried to tell me, but I didn't listen. I'm learning every day, that foods that I thought were low carb & good for me, are just the opposite. So I take a few steps forward and stumble back.
As BonnieOFS said "Read Everything". I thought I knew, and I was so wrong. Wheat & gluten could be a problem for you.
I had lost 6 lbs, and gained 1 back. I am a carb addict, so I know how hard this is for all of us. Keep strong...
Congratulations on your upcoming 50 th. anniversary. We just celebrated our 56 th anniversary on monday.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 12:42

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's true for most - if not all - of us. Low carb is really a way of life, not just a diet. Fortunately, if you are low carb for just weight loss, once you have lost the weight, you may be able to maintain at a higher carb level.

Absolutely Bonnie!

Most people that I've known sit at around 60-70 and maintain but even my mom who has been LC for almost 10 years now still has a hard day to even get to 40! Which I can understand! Once your WOE has changed you become routine about what you eat etc!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 09:49

BF:

Congratulations Miss Jean on your 56 years of marriage! It seems to me that I'm not the only one that struggles with trying to lose on low carb. If I eat too many low carb foods I gain weight, even if I keep it under 20 grams. They say that calories don't count, but they must.
Has anyone made beef cordon bleu, low carb, no bread crumbs or fatting gravy?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 09:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here is what Dr. Atkins actually wrote, and Dr. Westman says the same now:

Quote:
Here's what Atkins has to say about it (courtesy of cnmLisa):

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

I’m not saying that calories don’t count, I’m saying that a low calorie diet is a second best diet.”
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 09:59
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
It seems to me that I'm not the only one that struggles with trying to lose on low carb. If I eat too many low carb foods I gain weight, even if I keep it under 20 grams. They say that calories don't count, but they must.

Calories do count for most of us, I can promise you that.
I lost my weight starting almost 10 yrs. ago. I have not regained because I'm very careful about my total intake and my carb levels out between 60-100 grams a day, not net. I did change the way I eat and have not reverted back.
Are there days when I eat an off plan food? Yes and they are few and far between.
When we commit ourselves to this change of eating for life, it can get much easier.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 10:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Calories count... but how you get your calories counts more, at least in my experience.

For me--2000 calories of low carb food that doesn't include cheese and nuts? Often satisfying. 2000 calories with cheese and nuts? Hardly ever enough. Pork rinds are good. But not as satisfying as the same amount of pork protein and fat in the form of a pork chop. Butter--more satisfying than heavy cream, which is in turn more satisfying than sour cream. Pork rinds plus butter, satisfying. Pork rinds plus sour cream-->binge.

If I control calories without controlling the types of food I eat, even within low carb, I end up massively binge-prone.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 11:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If I control calories without controlling the types of food I eat, even within low carb, I end up massively binge-prone.

That's true for me, too. If something low-carb triggers a binge, even a small one, I end up with more carbs and more calories.

When I did count calories for a while, I noticed that as long as I kept my carb count down, my calories were quite low. What is different from a low-calorie based diet, is that as long as I eat enough of the right foods, I rarely feel hungry and have plenty of energy, and I'm nicer. That last is a real plus for the people around me!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 05:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Calories count... but how you get your calories counts more, at least in my experience.

For me--2000 calories of low carb food that doesn't include cheese and nuts? Often satisfying. 2000 calories with cheese and nuts? Hardly ever enough. Pork rinds are good. But not as satisfying as the same amount of pork protein and fat in the form of a pork chop. Butter--more satisfying than heavy cream, which is in turn more satisfying than sour cream. Pork rinds plus butter, satisfying. Pork rinds plus sour cream-->binge.

So VERY true! Nuts, particularly nut butters, and cheese will set off a calorie fest. It is the reason Dr. Westman does not include any nuts in his clinic program, and when I had the opportunity to talk with Jackie Eberstein about my own weight loss progress, she suggested reducing, or better yet, removing cheese. Which then becomes the same as a number of Paleo weight loss plans.