Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 09:25

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
I put mine in a veggie steamer over boiling water. Steam for 6 1/2 mins for soft cooked, 12 to 15 mins for hard cooked.

Put them under cold running water to stop the cooking and until they're cooled enough to handle, then follow Krys's method of shaking the pan to crack the shells before peeling. Peel them while they're still wet and the shells should slip off easily.

My eggs are delivered weekly, fresh from the farm, and I find this method works just as well at the beginning of the week as it does at the end. I like the texture of steamed eggs much better than those that have actually been boiled!

+100 on this cooking and peeling method. I recently made 8 dozen devilled eggs for a get together and I just piled the eggs onto my steamer baskets in my two large stockpots, steamed them for 11 minutes, ran cold water and added ice cubes to the pots to cool after steaming. I then drained the cold water off, clapped on the lids and shook those pots like crazy.

All the shells cracked easily and slipped off very easily. I also always start peeling at the large end of the egg since that's usually where the air pocket is between the membrane and the shell. Once you get some water under the membrane, the wetness seems to assist in loosening the membrane from the egg white surface.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 00:51

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I'm really glad to hear that method worked for you with that many eggs! I've never used it for a party's worth of eggs, but I'm glad to hear that it works even then! Thanks for posting your findings ... this whole WOL is such a learning experience!!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 15:50

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I put mine in the pot and cook for 18 minutes on high heat. They are perfect even though it seems like I'm cooking them longer than anyone here.

I like to crack the shell at the 16 min mark as then the water seeps in and makes the peeling much easier.

I let them cool 10 minutes at room temp before peeling. No cold water.

Gonna have to try the vinegar.

F
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 13:27

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I detest rubbery whites and steaming them leaves the whites much more tender.

I also let my eggs warm up at room temperature a bit before I steam them so that they won't crack and leak all over the steamer basket and pot.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 20:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/247/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%

Bump to the horrible taste of rubbery eggs. I think I will try the steam method though. Thanks
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 20:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 300/205/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Did you know that you don't have to refrigerate eggs? The US is one of the few counties that actually do refrigerate their eggs.

Of course, you will get a longer storage life in the refrigerator but you can leave them out at room temperature safely for at least 2 weeks.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 09:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 411/347/170 Female 5.9
BF:
Progress: 27%

Haven't read the whole post but if your eggs are super fresh, that's why you are having problems peeling the shell off. The older the egg the easier it is to remove the shell.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 10:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun1
Did you know that you don't have to refrigerate eggs? The US is one of the few counties that actually do refrigerate their eggs.

Of course, you will get a longer storage life in the refrigerator but you can leave them out at room temperature safely for at least 2 weeks.

This is true, but if you are in the U.S., eggs you buy are already refrigerated. I don't think you can store them out of the fridge after that
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb, keto
Stats: 230/215/180 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun1

Interesting. I never knew that.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 21:19

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

I never store my eggs in the refrigerator... (I'm a Canuck- this is one of those things I think Can & US are similar/same)

And I routinely use raw ones in mayo- the mayo I keep in the fridge, but it's always made with eggs that have been on my counter for anywhere from a day to 2 weeks....
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-11, 08:57

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

This thread is AWESOME! I have steamed up two batches of fresh chicken eggs from my grasshopper gangsters (hens) and the eggs peel SO NICELY! I love how the yolk is soft and not rubbery!!

I do find that cracking the shells at the air cell end right after cooking then running the cold water on them helps with peelability - but after doing so, they peel perfectly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, People of the LC.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 12:26

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 263/191/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...ithout-peeling/

I found this to be incredibly useful!!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 12:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I tried that once... It blew the yolk out of the egg into my hand but the white stayed in the shell!