Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 21:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Adding in organ meat--how much?

One of the things I am working on this year is incorporating more organ meats into my diet. I know that they are very nutritious and an important part of the diet, but due to "liver trauma" as a child, and lack of good experiences, I find figuring out how to eat them very trying.

I know some have mentioned mixing ground organ meat into hamburgers and other such things. I'm making some chili tomorrow, and thinking of incorporating some beef liver. Is there a general guide as to how much (% wise) or oz. per pound that I can get away with, and not have drastic effects on the flavor/texture? Any other great ideas for incorporating organ meat? please let me know.

My husband is on board with the idea, but not sold on the final product, so I'll have to make sure I proceed cautiously....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 08:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I escaped childhood liver trauma ( ) but I honestly tried to like liver and it failed. I made a tried-and-true pate recipe that people swore by... nope. I bought two types of pate and some liverwurst from a store whose products I like and trust... nope. Turned into a few months' worth of dog treats thrown in the freezer. At least the dog was happy.

Paging NancyLC! She posted in another help-me-like-liver thread that she put a pound of chicken livers into chili and it was great. I wouldn't mind trying this, but was it a huge batch of chili? A pound sounds like a lot when I usually do smallish batches of chili with a pound of ground beef.

It was mentioned that chicken livers are milder than beef. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been procrastinating on this liver chili project for years.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 09:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I tried beef liver in chili. Used about a pound. Threw out that chili. Beef liver is VERY strong tasting and it will over power everything else.

Now, another time I used chicken liver and that worked great. It was about a pound, IIRC. So maybe start with 1/2 pound?

Again, beef liver... I don't recommend. Calves liver... maybe.

Oh yes, my chili was a crockpot full of stuff and I go heavy on spices. Like 3 Tbl of chili powder.

Beef heart is much milder, kind of chewy though.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 12:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:

Thanks for the info, chicken liver sounds like a good route to go. I was trying to incorporate "ruminant liver" for some good reason, but now I can't recall exactly why that was, something it had in it that was super healthy. Maybe try some beef heart processed quite fine.

I did a bit of googling and found a suggestion of trying a mix with about 10% liver. So I made a batch of my favorite chili (great minds think alike!) with 2 oz. of beef liver (ground in food processor) to 1 lb. of good quality stew meat (chopped fine). I could smell/taste the liver just a tiny bit that first night. By second day, I don't think it would have registered. But at only ~11%, that stuff was really strong!

My husband didn't seem to notice at all, so that's a good sign. I may try it again with another strong flavored recipe. If not, it will be really good for the dog, to change up his diet a bit. (Even he won't eat it unless it is seared in butter!).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I'm interested too, bought some local lamb liver that was inexpensive but feel trepidation about cooking it for myself (though it's supposed to be mild tasting). May try sliced, lightly fried, with lots of butter and herbs.

If that doesn't work out, I'll thaw and cut into small bits to cook for my kitty, she really loves the liver (but vet told me not to give her too much at one time, not sure why).
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 19:09

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
I'm interested too, bought some local lamb liver that was inexpensive but feel trepidation about cooking it for myself (though it's supposed to be mild tasting). May try sliced, lightly fried, with lots of butter and herbs.

If that doesn't work out, I'll thaw and cut into small bits to cook for my kitty, she really loves the liver (but vet told me not to give her too much at one time, not sure why).

I'm not sure of the mildness of lamb liver, though I would assume that it is. I have some in the freezer, so will be trying it soon. However, I can vouch for the mildness of lamb kidneys, which are, by nature, and IMO, stronger tasting than liver. Lamb kidneys in a spicy sauce are, in my opinion, mild enough for anyone, and don't even taste of kidney. Full disclosure: I am quite fond of both liver and kidneys, so my "mild" might not be yours. But I truly think that just about anyone could eat my lamb kidneys in mustard sauce ... unless they don't like mustard! LOL
I have a friend whose husband and BIL periodically butcher a few lambs. They were throwing the offal out into the woods "for the bear"! I asked if I might have the kidneys; and now I am getting the liver & hearts too! Lucky me. I think there may have even been a tongue or 2 in the last lot. My DH doesn't mind offal (he is European), but prefers not to have it served too often, so guess what I eat on the evenings he isn't home?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 20:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Re lamb bits: This winter I've been buying lots of lamb riblets from the farmer where we get our lamb. They're usually small (about 2 to 3 inches long) and come in a rack. I used to slow roast them but lately just baking them on high heat with butter and a few root veggies in the dish. They're so good! Love the shanks too.