Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 16:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Stewed rhubarb and ginger

I don't usually bother with desserts, but rhubarb is such a good choice. Just lightly cook it in a little water, stevia and ginger and serve with cream cheese, cream or on it's own.

Amounts per stalk
2.3g carb
1g fibre
11 calories
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:50

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
I don't usually bother with desserts, but rhubarb is such a good choice. Just lightly cook it in a little water, stevia and ginger and serve with cream cheese, cream or on it's own.

Amounts per stalk
2.3g carb
1g fibre
11 calories

can't wait form my rhubarb to poke out, thanks Kirsteen!! That would be delish with a strawberry or two...ummm, come on strawberries!! Is cream cheese better than greek yoghurt?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 14:20

BF:

If you're only having a little, then I don't think it would matter, so you should choose whichever you enjoy most.. Although yoghurt isn't strictly allowed on Atkins, greek yoghurt is higher fat and as long as you check the carbs and buy the "real thing" and not "Greek style" yoghurt, it should be fine in small quantities. I buy it myself from time to time as a treat and for cooking. Cream cheese is allowed on Atkins, in limited quantities.. One thing to consider is that it is much richer than the yoghurt, so you can make a little go a lot further in terms of creaminess.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
If you're only having a little, then I don't think it would matter, so you should choose whichever you enjoy most.. Although yoghurt isn't strictly allowed on Atkins, greek yoghurt is higher fat and as long as you check the carbs and buy the "real thing" and not "Greek style" yoghurt, it should be fine in small quantities. I buy it myself from time to time as a treat and for cooking. Cream cheese is allowed on Atkins, in limited quantities.. One thing to consider is that it is much richer than the yoghurt, so you can make a little go a lot further in terms of creaminess.

You must be my guardian angel I definitely will be trying it with cream cheese, I am also going to try to make some youghurt this weekend in my crockpot, wish me luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 03:09

BF:

Good luck! Yoghurt is very easy to make - just mildly heat the liquid, stir in some active yoghurt, then set it somewhere warm overnight until it has set. You can't really consume milk on Atkins, because it is too high in carbs, but using cream or coconut milk would give you a lower carb yoghurt. :0) That would be great with berries too. I've never tried coconut milk yoghurt, but now you've got me thinking, I'll be having a shot at it. I love cooking with yogurt.. and coconut yogurt would be fabby for thai and Indian curries. Yum! I try not to have too much sweet stuff, but using coconut yoghurt and stevia, there would be scope for things like rhubarb fool, rhubarb ice-cream and other desserts. The strong flavour of the rhubarb masks the stevia, as long as you don't use too much, and stevia is a good safe choice for Atkins, even for my trigger-happy blood-sugar.

P.S. My rhubarb is out already, thanks to the warm weather we enjoyed earlier this year.. Have you checked yours? You might get a nice surprise! Eating it low-carb makes it go further - I limit myself to one stalk at a time.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Apr-25-12 at 03:14.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 01:31

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

How much ginger per stalk?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 22:25

had this today with some strwberries and it was REALLY good, thanks Kirsteen!!