Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-12, 13:46
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Blueberry Cake [Carbquik]

This cake or coffeecake came about because of my inability to just make a recipe AS-WRITTEN. Life-long disease I contracted from my parents. I have been meaning to try KevinPa's Yellow Cake for ages and a good year after I printed out the recipe, I just had to go and change it all up as well. I changed up amounts of flour subs, lowered fat and sour cream and added a couple ingredients along with a cup of blueberries. The cake cooked up beautifully and tasted wonderful! Very moist, too! This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of OWL as there is some flour product in the Carbquick.

I happen to have the WPI 5000 on hand from some yeast bread experimenting last year. It helps with rise. If you don't have it and really don't want to buy it, I'd recommend subbing in either ½ cup more almond flour OR ¼ c. almond flour +¼ c. coconut flour along with increasing baking powder by 1/2 tsp.

INGREDIENTS:

1c. almond flour
½ c. wheat protein isolate (WPI) 5000
½ c. Carbquick bake mix
1 T. oat fiber
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. granular erythritol
30 drops liquid Splenda (or equivalent sweetener for 1¼ c. sugar)
¼ c. + 2 T. coconut oil or butter, softened
3/4 c. sour cream
3 large eggs, beaten
2 T. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. blueberries, whole (or chop if you prefer, but batter will get tinged blue if you chop them)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Line the bottom of a larger 2¼” deep x 9″ round cake pan with waxed paper. This helps tipping them out of the pan and onto a serving platter. You could also use a dutch oven or stew pot if you don’t have the size cake pan I call for. You could also use TWO standard 9″ cake pans used for making layers cakes, dividing the batter equally between the two, but your cakes will naturally be thinner then mine above. But hey, you could then smear some blueberry sauce or sugar-free blueberry jam between the two layers and maybe end up with an even more exciting cake than the one shown above! Grease bottom and sides of your pan(s) with a dab of oil of your choice and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter or coconut oil until soft and smooth. Beat in the sour cream, eggs, heavy cream, liquid Splenda and vanilla. Stir all the wet ingredients until well-blended. Measure all dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients and stir batter well. Fold in blueberries gently to mix them in well. Spoon batter into prepared pan and pop into pre-heated 350º oven for about 50 minutes or until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Remove and cool slightly. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen. Invert onto a plate and slowly peel off waxed paper. Cut into 8 pieces and serve warm as a coffeecake (or cold as a snack).

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 servings, each contains:

193 calories
15.1 g fat
10.91 g carbs, 5.39 g fiber, 5.62 g NET CARBS
10.99 g protein
207 mg sodium
76 mg potassium
13.25% RDA Vitamin B12
Sponsored Links