Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 10:32
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Citrus Semifreddo (ice cream)

Low Carb Citrus Semifreddo - http://lowcarbmadeeasy.com/2010/08/...rus-semifreddo/

Ingredients:

8 egg yolks (room temperature)
3/4 cup total sweetener (I used Ideal, which is granular)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice (I used key lime juice)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
zest of 1 lime (or, you can use the zest of 1 lemon if you like)

Preparation:

First, we’ll make the whipped cream. Take the 1 cup of cold heavy cream, and beat with a mixer with a whisk attachment until it begins to slightly thicken (just prior to the point of reaching soft peaks). Once there, add in 1/4 cup of sweetener, and continue to whip until heavy peaks are formed and held.

Knock off any excess form the whisk, and set the bowl into the fridge until we’re ready to use it. A funny side note…somehow my hand mizer has lost one of my whisk attachments, so I’m working with only one. Man, is that a pain! Time for a new hand mixer, I think!

Ok. Next step is making the custard. In a glass bowl, add in your 8 egg yolks, the remaining 1/2 cup of sweetener, lemon and lime juices, and salt. Whisk them until thoroughly combined.

Ok. Next it’s time to cook your custard and to get your custard to roughly triple in volume. More whisking! Fill a small pot with about an inch of water, and then set your glass bowl on top of it. You want to have plenty of room between the water and the bottom of the bowl – you do not want them to touch. Set the heat to medium high, and start whipping away. As the custard heats up, it will begin to thicken and increase in volume. It’ll probably take about 8-10 minutes of whipping to get it to where it needs to be. You want it to be like an unset pudding consistency and about tripled in volume. You’ll know you’re almost where when whipping stops leaving lots of bubbles.

Once cooked, you’ll want to place your bowl into a water bath to cool completely.

Once your custard is cooled, it’s time to get zesty! It’s time to zest your lime (or lemon). If you haven’t ever zested before, it’s very easy – especially if you have a microplane. If not, you can use the finest holes on a cheese grater. You want to just remove the skin, and not get any of the white pith that lives under the skin. If you do get some, it will be very bitter.

Once completely zested, mix it in to your custard base.

Time to take out the whipped cream we made earlier.

Slowly begin to incorporate the whipped cream into the custard, starting with about 1/4 of the whipped cream. Incorporate it gently, by thoroughly. Once incorporated, add another 1/4, until it’s fully combined.

You’re ALMOST there!

If you want to put this into a rectangular loaf pan like I did with the other one, feel free. Simply spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, and then line it with plastic wrap. You want to leave about 3″ of overhang from each side of the pan to allow room for it to be covered once you pour in your semifreddo. If you’re like me, and don’t really care because you’re just going to scoop it out with an ice cream scoop, pour it into a food storage container with a tight fitting lid

Set it in your freezer, and give it a good 5-8 hours to firm up. If you can wait it out, leave it overnight. Unlike other low carb ice cream recipes, semifreddos will not ever freeze solid because of the whipped cream. They stay nice and scoopable until you’re done with it.

Enjoy!!

Nutritional Information (10 servings)

Carbs: 3.6 g total, or 3.5 g net
Protein: 2.7g
Fat: 12.4 g
Fiber: 0.1
Calories: 129
If you would have made this with sugar, you’d have 17.2 g carbs, and 187 calories. Go low carb!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 13:45

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

I still still I have a bunch of lemons to use.. say think because I don't know if they are still good lol.. if I do I'm going to try an make this later this week..
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 14:33

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

OMG!!! This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I should have bought whipping cream at the store today...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Made this! Was fabulous! I put a raspberry swirl in it for fun.

With sous vide this recipe becomes fantastically simple. I made the custard in the water bath and whipped it for about 5 minutes until it got really fluffy.

Of course, I have a stand mixer and that makes things easy too.

Great recipe!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 11:24
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Bringing it back from the dead - I like it! Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy. It's still a fave of mine.