Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 14:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/269.6/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Cheap Coconut Oil?

Hello everyone, i apologize if this has been covered already here...i'm looking for some decently priced coconut oil. I've been reading alot about the benefits and wanted to try it...went to tesco and couldnt find any, asked a shop assistant and she didnt think they ever stocked it. Next i went to a small health food shop and they had a 100ml bottle for over £10

so, online i went where i found a 100ml bottle for about £4, plus s&h it came out to £6ish. Well the bottles almost empty and i can see this becoming an expensive addition to my diet. So have any of you found a better priced brand? Maybe you've found a way to get it directly from a supplier and can post a link or mailing address? or is this the standard cost for coconut oil and i should just get used to it?

btw, i should add that i dont have a car at the moment so the only supermarkets i can get to are my local tesco and 2 co-ops.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 15:07

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I get my coconut oil from my local asian-type food shop. As they use it as an ordinary cooking oil (not a fancy schmancy health food!) it isn't very pricey - £1.75 for a 500gram jar
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 16:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I get my coconut oil from my local asian-type food shop. As they use it as an ordinary cooking oil (not a fancy schmancy health food!) it isn't very pricey - £1.75 for a 500gram jar

lol, yeah i didnt have high hopes to be honest when i stepped in...as far as an asian food store, it didnt cross my mind to go to one for this

theres an indian spice/specialty shop not that far from work so i'll check it out, thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 07:10

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You can get it very cheaply from tescos - less than £2 a jar I think. look in the international foods dept. It is in a jar and it is white as it is solid at room temperate.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

I found this virgin Coconut oil worked out quite reasonably if you go for the 10kg Bulk flagon. (it wwas about £75 when I last ordered but that is for 20 500g pots or £3.75 each 500g
They send it by carrier and you need a warm airing cupboard or a hot summer day to allow the heat to liquefy the solid oil and be able to pour it out of the bulk container.
I was using the Asian food Store but where I live it's a 30mile drive to the nearest one so that isn't a cost saving option for me. But I did save the jars and so am able to decant from the bulk container every few months.

It has a shelf life of around 2 yrs so there should be no problem using it up in time.
The cheapo non virgin/non organic stuff from the Asian Grocers has an advantage as it isn't so coconutty flavored. So it doesn't make everything you fry in it taste of coconut
But I like the coconut taste so using the more highly flavoured coconoil is fine for me.
You may also want to consider
Iherb coconut oil you could order a couple of pots and the total would be about 12.10 USD £8.27 including delivery.
Use code ~~~~~~ and save $5.

For salad dressings I use MCT oil as you can't make mayonnaise from CO (it's too cold in the UK) If importing from the USA keep total order value under £18 or there's tax to pay +£8 handling charge (ransom) from the Post Office. You also have to keep weight under 3 pounds (1360 grams or you lose the cheap $4 shipping option.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 08:56

BF:

thank you for the responses everyone. The husband actually went to the indian food shop and picked up a 500ml bottle of what appears to be ordinary coconut oil for £4 (i was obviously much happier with this!).

as far as the international section at tesco, i did check there but theres a good chance i missed it as i was scanning for liquid oil and not a butter type substance so i'll check back for that as well.

and Hutchinson, thank you for the link. I'm going to check the site out now, though i dont really have the room for bulk. Also, what does MCT oil taste like? Is it similar to extra virgin olive oil in that you wouldnt cook with it and the strong flavor of its source?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 09:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaTR
Hutchinson, thank you for the link. I'm going to check the site out now, though i dont really have the room for bulk. Also, what does MCT oil taste like? Is it similar to extra virgin olive oil in that you wouldnt cook with it and the strong flavor of its source?

MCT is tasteless or if it does it's so slight I can't taste it.
I tend to mix it with a bit of olive oil as I like the taste of olive oil in my salad dressing.
this blog post from Dr BG animal pharm gives a brief overview of the benefits of MCT.
I use coconut oil for cooking and MCT for salad dressings.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 11:21

BF:

wow, thanks for the link. This is making for quite an interesting read...i'm very familiar with the idea of saturated fat having little or no real links to heart disease and cancer, but i wasnt familiar with the idea of it actually increasing ketones and weight loss.

i'm definitely gonna order some. Thanks again everyone, this site is so wonderful...if only i'd found it years ago
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 08:00

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

Coconoil have virgin Coconut oil. It is about £6 for a tub of 460grams if you buy six tubs in one go.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePJ
Coconoil have virgin Coconut oil. It is about £6 for a tub of 460grams if you buy six tubs in one go.
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 6 Pack (6 x 460g tubs) £46.00 Works out more like £7.67 a pot

But if you buy a 10kg bulk container from coconoil it works out around £3.75 a pot for the same stuff. Works out at slightly MORE than 20 x 450g pots.

All you have to do is to put the bulk container in a warm place, or even in the sun on a hot day and when it's warmed through it's liquid and you can pour off what you want into smaller containers.

It keeps for over 2yrs in the bulk container. But I get through it much faster than that. If you shared with some friends you could each save money and maybe if the shops knew people were buying in bulk rather than being ripped off by the health food shops they would reduce their costs.

If you only want smaller amount then it's probably cheaper to buy from IHERB
Jarrow Formulas, Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin, 32 oz (908 g)$14.37 + $4 shipping = $18.37 = £12.74 = £6.37 pot.
Code ~~~~~~ saves $5 at IHERB.
Don't be tempted to buy more or you will exceed the weight limit and have to pay higher shipping and you have to keep order value below £18 or you pay VAT + £8 post office handling charge.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 00:29

Okay, so my maths is not so good but I worked out it was still cheaper than most of the CO on the market over in the UK. Thanks for the correction though!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 02:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Okay, so my maths is not so good but I worked out it was still cheaper than most of the CO on the market over in the UK. Thanks for the correction though!
Sure, and coconoil tastes good, so I don't want to put people off. I see on the bulk purchase page they offer 12 pots delivered but don't specify a price. I've asked for a quote and will post back when I get a reply.

Holland and Barret Pure Coconut Oil £5.99 453g remember this is NOT virgin organic as the COCONOIL is so will probably taste less coconutty.
It's probably similar to the Jarrow Formulas, Coconut Oil, Expeller Pressed, 16 oz (454g) if you order 2 pots, these will cost (not counting $5 introductory discount) in total £8.99 including shipping. = £4.50 a pot saving £1.50 and the fag of going to H&B.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 02:49

They offered me £86.68 for a case of 12 tubs when I asked on the 4th May.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 05:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
They offered me £86.68 for a case of 12 tubs when I asked on the 4th May.
Still the same The 10kg Organic Virgin bulk pack is still £75 and they also do a NON organic cold pressed in pots for £68.64 x 12 = £5.72 a pot.

So it's still cheaper to buy from the USA and have it delivered bu post.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-31-10, 02:17
Registered Member

BF:

New blog by Nephropal section on Coconut oil below
the blog starts with a bit on Cholesterol and the wisdom? of reducing levels.
I haven't commented yet but make no mistake people with the lowest cholesterol levels live shorter livess and one of the reason why people with the lowest cholesterol level die soonest is Vitamin D.
The lower your skin's cholesterol level the less vitamin D it is capable of making.
Your immune function is based on the vitamin D response to pathogens.
Low vitamin D inevitably means immune response is compromised. But this thread is about Coconut oil and Nephropal explains why it may be better to go form the VCO then the cold pressed.

Quote:
Now to my favorite fat - coconut oil which is 94% saturated fat (lauric acid). A recent Brazilian study showed that coconut oil INCREASED HDL and LOWERED LDL: HDL ratio in obese females (abstract is the second one below).

A Chinese study (click) has revealed that the coconut oil extract monolaurin has anti-microbial effects against E. coli and Bacillus subtilis but not Staphylococcus aureus.

A recently study from India showed that virgin coconut oil may be superior to dry press.

abstract:

Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009 Aug;87(8):610-6.
Wet and dry extraction of coconut oil: impact on lipid metabolic and antioxidant status in cholesterol coadministered rats.
Nevin KG, Rajamohan T.
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695 581, India.

Because coconut oil extracted by wet process (virgin coconut oil, VCO) is gaining popularity among consumers, this study was conducted to evaluate VCO compared with coconut oil extracted by dry process (copra oil, CO) for their influence on lipid parameters, lipid peroxidation, and antioxidant status in rats coadministered with cholesterol. VCO, CO, and cholesterol were fed in a semi-synthetic diet to 24 male Sprague-Dawley rats for 45 days. After the experimental period, lipid and lipid peroxide levels and antioxidant enzyme activities were observed. Chemical composition and antioxidant properties of the polyphenolic fraction from VCO and CO were also analyzed. The results showed that lipid and lipid peroxide levels were lower in VCO-fed animals than in animals fed either CO or cholesterol alone. Antioxidant enzyme activities in VCO-fed animals were comparable with those in control animals. Although the fatty acid profiles of both oils were similar, a significantly higher level of unsaponifiable components was observed in VCO. Polyphenols from VCO also showed significant radical-scavenging activity compared with those from CO. This study clearly indicates the potential benefits of VCO over CO in maintaining lipid metabolism and antioxidant status. These effects may be attributed in part to the presence of biologically active minor unsaponifiable components.

Brazilian abstract

Lipids. 2009 Jul;44(7):593-601. Epub 2009 May 13.
Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity.
Assunção ML, Ferreira HS, dos Santos AF, Cabral CR Jr, Florêncio TM.
Faculdade de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió, AL 57072-970, Brazil.

Abstract
The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) greater than 88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20-40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 +/- 2.4 vs. 45.00 +/- 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 +/- 0.8 vs. 3.1 +/- 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P less than p =" 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P less than 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL,and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

In an additional study (on rabbits) from India, they "conclude that in the absence of cholesterol supplementation, coconut oil intake up to 30% of daily energy supply did not cause hypercholesterolemia or oxidative stress in rabbits. " Oxidation of lipids was also lower in the coconut oil group. Meaning the coconut oil was less prone to oxidation by free radicals. This could be due to coconut oil's Vitamin E content. (click here for the full article). In the article, in the discussion section, the authors note that coconut oil has more anti-oxidant properties than olive oil and fish oil in animal studies. Why? Unlike saturated fat which has NO double bonds, polyunsaturated fat has two and monosaturated fat has one double bonds. These bonds are prone to disruption by free radicals. (click here my previous post on fats: introduction) Thus monounsaturated fats like avocados will be less prone to disruption than polyunsaturated fats -like sunflower oil. Thus coconut oil has better anti-oxidant capacity versus sunflower oil in this study. The abstract is below.

abstract

J Atheroscler Thromb. 2010 Feb 26;17(2):213-8. Epub 2009 Dec 24.
Effect of high fat diet without cholesterol supplementation on oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in New Zealand white rabbits.
Sabitha P, Vasudevan DM, Kamath P.
Department of Biochemistry, Amrita School of Medicine, Kerala, India. sabitha.palazhy~gmail.com

AIM: Dietary fats may affect coronary artery disease risk by influencing factors other than serum cholesterol. The effect of diets containing coconut oil and sunflower oil without cholesterol supplementation on oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation were studied in male New Zealand White rabbits. METHODS: Animals assigned to four groups (control, cholesterol-fed, coconut oil-fed and sunflower oil-fed), given an isocaloric diet and studied for 6 months. The lipid profile, reduced glutathione, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase, vitamin C and lipid peroxidation were evaluated at the beginning of the study, at the third month and at the end of the study period. RESULTS: Serum lipid values did not show significant variation between animals fed coconut oil and sunflower oil, but total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol were significantly higher and HDL-cholesterol was reduced in cholesterol-fed animals. Lipid peroxidation was higher in cholesterol-fed and sunflower oil-fed rabbits compared to controls and coconut oil-fed rabbits. Though other parameters such as reduced glutathione, glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase and ascorbate did not vary between the two oil-fed rabbit groups, cholesterol-fed rabbits showed severe oxidative stress. CONCLUSION: We conclude that in the absence of cholesterol supplementation, coconut oil intake up to 30% of daily energy supply did not cause hypercholesterolemia or oxidative stress in rabbits.

POSTED BY DR. T AT 7:37 AM