Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 04:05

Plan: Not sure yet.
Stats: 154/154/128 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Can anyone help me please?

Hi, I am trying to find the product Thicken Thin not/Starch. Does anyone know of a supplier within New Zealand?

Thank you for your help.

Mahls
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 04:13

Plan: Generic
Stats: 176/166/145 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:Yeah I guess
Progress: 32%

I didn't it or other low carb thickeners when I was in NZ last year - good luck with locating it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 04:18

BF:
Default Thank you...

Hi Toni, thank you for your reply. Im glad its not just me looking in the wrong places, cheers,

Barbs
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 04:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mahls, and welcome.

I can't help you with Thicken Thin/Not Starch, but have you looked for guar or xanthan gums? They are available in health food shops here, so may well be over there.

You can find more info on thickening in this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=147457 - just scroll down until you come to Thickeners.

Cheers,

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 04:22

BF:
Default Hi Roz...

Thank you for your advice. I am trying to find completely starch free recipes and products. We are very limited on dietary supplements here it seems.

Cheers

Barbs
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 17:32
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I was going to suggest xanthan gum, it's widely available

I used it for the FIRST EVER TIME yesterday hehe. And it worked great! I had a big cook up (cos I bought tons of stuff on special so needed to use it all straight away) and added it to every dish in different amounts to see how much I need and how thick it gets etc. Yum!

Very versatile

e
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 17:39
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
USES One of the most remarkable properties of xanthan gum is its capability of producing a large increase in the viscosity of a liquid by adding a very small quantity of gum, on the order of one percent. In most foods, it is used at 0.5% and can be used in lower concentrations. The viscosity of xanthan gum solutions decreases with higher shear rates; this is called pseudoplasticity. This means that a product subjected to shear, whether from mixing, shaking or even chewing, will thin out, but once the shear forces are removed, the food will thicken back up. A practical use would be in salad dressing: The xanthan gum makes it thick enough at rest in the bottle to keep the mixture fairly homogeneous, but the shear forces generated by shaking and pouring thins it so it can be easily poured. When it exits the bottle, the shear forces are removed and it thickens back up so it clings to the salad. Unlike other gums, it is very stable under a wide range of temperatures and pH.

In foods, xanthan gum is most often found in salad dressings and sauces. It helps to stabilize the colloidal oil and solid components against creaming by acting as an emulsifier. Also used in frozen foods and beverages, xanthan gum creates the pleasant texture in many ice creams. Toothpaste often contains xanthan gum, where it serves as a binder to keep the product uniform. Xanthan gum is also used in gluten-free baking. Since the gluten (found in wheat) must be omitted, xanthan gum is used to give the dough or batter a "stickiness" that would otherwise be achieved with the gluten. Xanthan gum also helps thicken commercial egg substitutes made from egg whites to replace the fat and emulsifiers found in yolks. It is also a preferred method of thickening liquids for those with swallowing disorders, since it does not change the color or flavor of foods or beverages.

Quote:
ALLERGIES Also, since xanthan gum is produced by a bacterium that is fed corn to grow, some people allergic to corn will also react to it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 17:14

BF:
Default Hi Erika

Thank you for your help

Barbs