Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/102/99 Female 5'2 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default CONVINCE ME to stay on the Atkins... PLEASE!

I've been on the Atkins for a YEAR now, trying to lose these last 5 or so pounds, just to whip myself into shape. Why has it taken me a year you ask? Well, because I last 10 days, binge for a week, and then go back on it! I know, I know, it's sooooooo unhealthy, but I just couldn't stand it! It's my 4th day, and I know that by tomorrow or the next day, I'll start getting cravings, and then a few days after that, I'll give in... Someone, please help me to stop doing that. I'm 107 pounds right now, 120 was my heaviest, and I need to get to around 95-100 (I'm only 5'2"). I'm a 'curvy' Italian teen who has had large hips and a large bust to struggle with at a young age. Exercise isn't an option because of my severe asthma and back/neck problems from an injury, but I try to do squats (to build up my butt and tone my legs), and bicep curls to give definition in my arms. I had to stop the situps because my back keeps pulling out, even though I do them correctly and with a personal trainer. The Atkins will work... I KNOW it will... It worked for everyone in my family... But PLEASE just help me get over this 10 day craving thing! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 14:10
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Britty

Maybe you are trying to do it (Atkins) to severely. Are you doing induction over and over again? That sets a lot of people up to fail because it's just so restricted.

When you only have a few pounds to lose, it's much harder and usually takes longer and of course when you binge then you have to start all over again, it's a never ending circle.

How about you try having more carbs than the induction (if indeed that is what you are doing) - try something you can live with. Like carbs at about 30 or 40. I bet you can stay on it a lot longer and maybe succeed in getting those last pounds off.

oops just noticed this is in the teens section - oh well old ladies DO butt in.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-05, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

LOL Well thank you for that advice! It's now day 5 I think... and I haven't cheated yet! I don't know how, but I found added motivation! I'm exercising too, which never hurts.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 09:07
Registered Member

Stats: 118/106/102 Female 5ft3"
BF:
Progress: 75%

You are a good weight for your height - maybe your body is just trying to tell you it's happy where it is?

Sorry I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear =)

I agree though it takes much longer to lose those last few lbs and you know in your heart of hearts whats stopping you - the cheats! Why not log on here every time you are tempted to cheat before you go to the kitchen?

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
You are a good weight for your height - maybe your body is just trying to tell you it's happy where it is?

Sorry I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear =)

I agree though it takes much longer to lose those last few lbs and you know in your heart of hearts whats stopping you - the cheats! Why not log on here every time you are tempted to cheat before you go to the kitchen?

Good luck!

Thank you! That's what I *have* been doing, and it's working pretty well! I also tell myself that if I cheat, I'll have to exercise after to burn it off, but since I don't like that compromise, I don't cheat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 15:17
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Multi vitamins, Omega 3s, and chromium are good for helping to curb appetite and cravings. You might try them. I'm not saying that they will stop all cravings -- but they do help.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 08:04
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

I thought of another trick. One thing I do is to keep some low carb foods around that I can pig out on and not do much damage. I now prefer pork rinds. So when I get bad cravings -- I'll go grab a bag of pork rinds and start eating till I am so full the cravings for the bad food go away.

I would much rather "pig out" on something with zero carbs than to eat something high glycemic. Eating a lot of zero carb foods makes the hunger and cravings go away. Eating a small amount of high glycemic foods just intensifies my cravings.

If pork rinds are not your thing -- perhaps there is another low carb food you can substitute like cheese or something else? Some people use low carb bars and shakes -- I seem to stall when eating them -- so I don't really consider them any better than the food I am trying to avoid.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 09:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
I thought of another trick. One thing I do is to keep some low carb foods around that I can pig out on and not do much damage. I now prefer pork rinds. So when I get bad cravings -- I'll go grab a bag of pork rinds and start eating till I am so full the cravings for the bad food go away.

I would much rather "pig out" on something with zero carbs than to eat something high glycemic. Eating a lot of zero carb foods makes the hunger and cravings go away. Eating a small amount of high glycemic foods just intensifies my cravings.

If pork rinds are not your thing -- perhaps there is another low carb food you can substitute like cheese or something else? Some people use low carb bars and shakes -- I seem to stall when eating them -- so I don't really consider them any better than the food I am trying to avoid.

That is a really good idea... Right now I'm using whipped cream as a craving squasher, but even that has some carbs in it. :-( Cheese is a good idea, and what about stuff that has a lot of fiber in it? Have you ever tried that? It'll probably have me running to the bathroom immediately after, but I remember hearing that fiber tends to make people full.