Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 06:42

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 265/222/195 Male 193cm
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Some questions from a n00b

Ok I've just started BACK on LC, I've tried before and fell victim to the pasta demon followed by a case of giving up. This time however I mean it :P

Anyway I have a few questions. Firstly, where can I get these keto stick things people keep mentioning in here? and when is it best to use them, some time after a meal, before? Or is there some other tell-tale signs I can look for?

Secondly, what do you do or can I do for milk. Is there some sort of milk I can use to make coffee? I'd really hate to see that new espresso machine go to waste.

Is there a really good LC food supplier around Brisbane? The supermarkets I have tried are all very lean on the low carb stock.

Ooh, does anyone know of a good butcher in Brisbane with good low carb sausages?

I'm sure I had more questions, I just can't think of them right now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 07:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hullo Cyaegha,

Welcome to another Brissie member.

Firstly, I truly and honestly think using ketostix is a big waste of time and money. They can show positive simply because you've eaten a fatty meal - and let's face it, all our meals should be fatty. I think you are best to forget them, just go by the scales or even better, the tape measure.

You can have cream in coffee - much better than milk any day. To me anyway. I haven't seen any kind of low carb milk around.

When it come to low carb "products," I feel that, especially at first, you are best to stick with the basics - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream and vegies. So many "products" are pale imitations of the real thing, and for mine, we should be trying to change our way of eating, not having LC versions of high carb foods.
That being said, Coles and Woolies do have some Atkins products, but they are expensive, and just not worth it to me. There is a GNC store in the city mall, opposite Myer that has a full range of products. There is also a health food shop (don't know the name, sorry) in Indooroopilly Shoppingtown - opposite Woolworths that also sells a full range of Atkins products.

The only low carb sausages I've seen are Coles Italian snags. They have <1g carbs per 100g.

All the best, mate. Do keep asking questions as you think of them.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 17:43

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyaegha
Ok I've just started BACK on LC, I've tried before and fell victim to the pasta demon followed by a case of giving up. This time however I mean it :P

Good for you! I struggled starting for 4 years, now I've been going 4 months! ONce you go a month or two, your willpower to stay on this WOE will increase, as the carbs withdraw from your system!

Quote:
Anyway I have a few questions. Firstly, where can I get these keto stick things people keep mentioning in here? and when is it best to use them, some time after a meal, before? Or is there some other tell-tale signs I can look for?

You can get these at any chemist. Just ask for ketostiks. Rose is probably correct - they aren't really an advantage, but when you start out they may help you.

Quote:
Secondly, what do you do or can I do for milk. Is there some sort of milk I can use to make coffee? I'd really hate to see that new espresso machine go to waste.

Don't drink coffee! They are 'liquid cigarettes!'. If you must, I heard cream is a good substitute for coffee.

Quote:
Is there a really good LC food supplier around Brisbane? The supermarkets I have tried are all very lean on the low carb stock.

I don't know about brisvegas, but you might wanna try ordering from some Aussie online shops.

Quote:
Ooh, does anyone know of a good butcher in Brisbane with good low carb sausages?

Be aware of snags. I have found that they are addictive and they can stall you. You would be much better off eating un-processed protein.

Quote:
I'm sure I had more questions, I just can't think of them right now.

No problems, I wish you Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 01:29

BF:

Thank you both very much for the info.

One other question I thought of was breath control. Currently I've been sucking on those "Extra Drops" (I like the orange and the lemon ones). I've been reading all sorts of things about artificial sweeteners and am not sure if I'm doing myself a disservice with these things. Does anyone know if they are cool or if there is a better method? I'm a computer technician for a mobile computer company so I see lots of people through the day and don't want to become self conscious of my breath.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 07:04

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:

One other question I thought of was breath control. Currently I've been sucking on those "Extra Drops" (I like the orange and the lemon ones). I've been reading all sorts of things about artificial sweeteners and am not sure if I'm doing myself a disservice with these things. Does anyone know if they are cool or if there is a better method? I'm a computer technician for a mobile computer company so I see lots of people through the day and don't want to become self conscious of my breath.

I have using these.
It hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 01:11
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:

Hi Cyaegha,

I've found my breath smells bad most, when my tummy is hungry. If I never let my tummy completely empty, my breath is just fine (according to friend's I've asked that'll tell me the truth hehehe - they were the ones that brought up my smelly breath in the first place!).

Good luck,
e
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 04:30

BF:

Sometimes I'm so busy with work that I skip lunch. If I've had a bacon & egg breakfast (I have fried bacon, egg, couple of mushrooms and half a tomato with a couple thin slices of cheese) I don't seem to get hungry until around tea time anyway.

I've been eating several of those Extra Drops per day at work, normally as I'm driving between jobs. When I do have lunch it is either an Atkins bar and an Atkins protein shake or a subway chicken salad. I really need to find something decent I can bring from home. I can't keep buying lunch. Any suggestions?

Also I haven't updated my stats in a while as my new scales broke after the fourth use. Teach me for buying cheap crap.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 05:58
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
When I do have lunch it is either an Atkins bar and an Atkins protein shake or a subway chicken salad. I really need to find something decent I can bring from home. I can't keep buying lunch. Any suggestions?

I think you just answered your own question there - make a salad! They can be filling and don't need to be heated up.

e
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 00:17

Plan: LCHF + IF
Stats: 330/255/190 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 54%

yup salads are great lunches, sometimes leftover dinners (if you have access to a microwave) are brilliant. Things like linda sue's tuna muffins, or mini quiches are also great, small portable and dont need heating.

For coffee, i buy the NON thickened pura or pauls cream and then will cut it in 50/50 portions with a full cream milk. Makes it close to a coffee cream that i would use at home (im canadian). If you cut it this way you get a somewhat higher carb count but its not all greasy and yucky like it would be if you used it uncut. Makes great coffee. You can also froth that stuff with the new expresso maker but it doesnt froth as easy - do-able though