Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 03:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/125/115 Male 5ft 6
BF:
Progress:
Default Im 13

Ive tried the atkins diet twice now, the first time i eat something really horrible and the next day i felt very weak and i threw up (the horrible thing) anyways second time i tried it i tried to eat eveything i liked and the next day i still felt very weak and couldnt stand eating another egg or anything low carb, sould i be waiting till im 16+ to start the diet?

Last edited by Fahd26 : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 03:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 03:50

BF:
Progress:

Oh i kept strickltly under 20 grams of carbohydrate. I read somewhere else where a 10 year old was losing weight slowly but after a couple of weeks with 60 grams of carbohydrate. Does this mean with 60 grams i can have the odd slice of bread and milk and still lose weight?

Last edited by Fahd26 : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 03:52.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

Why are you trying to loose weight at 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesnt matter that all the popular girls are as thin as rails or whatever!!!!!!
You do NOT need to be on a diet when you are so young or restricting your carbs.
I dieted at 13 and i remember it too. Dont do it!!!!!!!!! Dont even weigh your self.
My suggestion to you, is to cut out some of the junk foods ( you dont have to cut everything out.., just keep it in moderation) and try out for the soccer team or volley ball when school starts.
Pls dont diet i beg of you,
i can see myself at 14 yrs crying myself to sleep at night, weighing myself at least 10x a day and puking up carrot sticks and fat free ranch dressing, scrutinizing everyone else's bodies and comparing it with my own.
As long as you are healthy, it doesnt matter what you weigh- or at least worry about that when your older but not right now.
Just focus on being healthy and more active.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:11

BF:
Progress:

Soooo uh um how old should i be to diet? I took your advise and im eating like i used to with a bit of excerise here and there.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think you should just stick with the exercise and see how that works out for awhile, try to avoid dieting at all costs please. It becomes a habit and a lifestyle and in some cases a disorder.
When your older, like maybe 17 or 18 and if you still want to loose a bit of weight after cutting back on junk food and exercising doesnt work then a sensible diet would be alright. But honey, i dont want the thought to be in your head right now. It just breaks my heart to see a 13 year old dieting because i know exactly how it is and what it can lead to.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:10

Stats: 284/207/155 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi there! I came to the students/teen area to get information for my son. He is 14, 5'10", and 260#. He is a very handsome and loveable young man, regardless of what he weighs. But, as you can tell by his numbers, my concern is for his health. He, his dad, and I have all recently started the Atkins program. That is our whole household, so I cleaned all the cupboards out and stocked them with things allowable on the Induction program. As his mother, I make sure to closly monitor how he feels throughout the day. So far, he has reported feeling more in control of his appetite and the only thing he is really missing is soda/pop. He knows that if at any time he feels deprived or pressured with this way of eating, he can come to me and we will work something else out.

I agree that this program is probably not a great thing for you to throw yourself into, for a couple of reasons. First of all, from your stats you are only 125 pounds and desire to be 110...at 5'6". As a young man, you probably still have some growing to do in height--this will lengthen you out in itself. Also, your body will fill out somewhat with muscle as your male body ages. Being too thin can be as unhealthy as being too overweight.

I know it is hard at your age to understand that a healthy body is much more important than looking exactly like people in a fashion magazine. What you do now can determine your health and happiness in the future. Find interests that keep your body active, and eat mostly healthy foods (meat, vegetables, fruits). Don't deprive yourself of the treats that your friends will be eating in front of you. Just have a handful of chips instead of the whole bag.

Bottom line, do not be so worried about your weight at this time. Your present weight (125#) is not at all too much for being 5'6". Do you have someone you can talk to about your feelings about yourself? How about your parents, a teacher, school nurse, family doctor, or a pastor. It is completely normal for teenagers to think their bodies aren't perfect. Please find someone to talk to.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:18

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

my 13 year old thinks she's fat too! But She's not!!! The girls who's popular with the boys is thin as a rake BUT she dresses like a ..... so I told her that's the reason the boys like her: because she looks easy!!

You sound fine for your height Just avoid the junk food if you want to be healthy, plus your body is growing in spurts.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 02:33

Plan: Atkins inducation
Stats: 127/122/105 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hullo! i'm Rebecca. i'm 15 and i think i could use to lose a few pounds. i'm not FAT...just 'round' lol! and i'm not active at all...i should at least be walking around my quiet country road...
well, tAwK 2 y'all L8er!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 02:35

Plan: Atkins inducation
Stats: 127/122/105 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

oh yes, and i'm very short for my age...4'10". but it's fun bein' short!