Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 296/281/165 Female 5'6"
BF:52%/51%/??
Progress: 11%
Default your thoughts...

Well as some of you may know i have been having a VERY hard time just starting out lc'ing. I keep failing on DAY 1.....Well i have made a lent challenge for myself. I started on 2/9/05 ~ 278.5.

Well for me i have been doing fine, but i could do better. I havent 'cheated' or binged and i am now on day 3 wooohooo!!

BUT today i weighed the same 278.5. nothing lost in 3 days and i think i know why. since i was having such a hard time i allowed myself some leway. I ate breaded shrimp 2 days, i ate honey roasted peanuts (11 carbs in 1 pack) one day, i had a 3 lc cookies (3 carbs each) in 2 days too.

I know this is not the best, but i allowed it because i know i would cheat so instead of a cheat or binge i ate the above.....Other than this i was good.

what are your thoughts and opinions....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You have to change your mindset - those "little" deviations are cheats and they will cheat you of a weight loss. Sounds like you are almost there - you just need to go that one step further and make up your mind to stick to allowed foods.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:29

oh yes i agree i will and intend to let them go asap, BUT for now i feel i need it. does that make any sense?

as soon as my hunger level goes down, and i feel 'comfortable' i intend to loose them. i am 'thinking' about a week into the lc is when i should feel less hungry, and more comfortable.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

When I first started Low Carbing, I had no idea I'd be going this long. The first 2 weeks were SOOOOOOOOOO HARD! Yet you have to keep in mind what you want and ask if the food you are putting in your mouth is worth it. If you really want to lose the weight, you have to eat "clean" and fight off the cravings. If you eat clean for a few days, most of those cravings will go away. The pounds will also start going away too! Any breaded stuff, sugars, and the like will just not give you the results you are wanting. I know its tough yet after you really change your mindset and you get into ketosis, it becomes easier! I promise!

Good luck

Amanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:53

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'll be the voice of minor dissention and say that if you need to take a step-down approach, then do that. But! Don't count it as induction. Do that for a week to get you started, then do a clean 2 week induction if you can. The appetite suppression of ketosis is a wonderful thing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:58

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Have you considered other plans?

Just a thought that since you are having such a hard time getting going with Atkins, perhaps it isn't the right plan for you.

CAD allows one 'Reward Meal' a day where you can eat high-carb foods. The cravings are controlled by having ultra-lowcarb foods only to eat the rest of the day. It works very well for a lot of us because we can eat our favourite foods at that meal, balanced of course with protein and low-carb vegetables.

Just something to consider.

Take care,
Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:59

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

eat the right things during induction, and eat as much of them as you want! no need to be hungry! i know those snacks are tempting, but one little bite at a time is what got us to where we were in the first place! be strong, stock your fridge and cabinets with eggs, cheese, meats. eat often, and eat well! you can do it!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 10:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 324/324/167 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Vel, if you're having such a hard time doing a clean induction, then maybe you should check out some of the other plans. I initially tried Atkins, but got so cranky on only 20 carbs/day. Then I tried Protien Power and that turned out to be the plan for me. I think you just have to find one that your body and you can live with. It could also help if you stock your home and office with foods that are ok for you - boiled eggs, almonds (plain), beef jerky, cheese - and get rid of the foods that aren't on the plan. That way, if you get munchy (which happens, especially at first), you'll be munching on good foods. It's really all in the planning - In the beginning, I was constantly planning my next meal or snack just to make sure that I stayed on track. It's easier now and almost instinctual.

But don't lose heart, it will get easier for you as you go along. You've started yourself on a road to a healthier you and you'll be feeling much better, both inside and out, as you go along. Good for you for taking the first steps!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 10:20

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewMe2B
i was having such a hard time i allowed myself some leway. I ate breaded shrimp 2 days, i ate honey roasted peanuts (11 carbs in 1 pack) one day, i had a 3 lc cookies (3 carbs each) in 2 days too. I know this is not the best, but i allowed it because i know i would cheat so instead of a cheat or binge i ate the above.....Other than this i was good. what are your thoughts and opinions....

I think it's those "leeways" that are defeating you. If you substituted maybe some meat or hardboiled egg for the "treats" or stop and think before eating the and chug down two glasses of water first and then ask yourself if you still need it. By using the sweets during the beginning days you're not allowing your body to get rid of the craving factor. If you're really in need of something sweet - why not try some sf jello.

Trust me, once you eliminate sweet snacks for a good few days you'll no longer feel the need for them. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd crave spinach salad, but now I do. I have an occasional treat from time to time, but I don't NEED to have it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:01

But I Didnt Think What I Was Having Was "sweets"??? Those Items Were Somewhat 'lower In Carbs' Than Hc Foods.......besides Sf Jello Is Not Allowed On Induction And Yet U Say I Can Eat That?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:24
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

SF jello might not be allowed on induction, but it is certainly a far wiser choice than low carb cookies!

I'm not giving you a hard time though, we all do what we have to in order to get on track and lose the weight. If you have to have your little deviations to get on track, then do it. If you have to switch to CAD or another plan, do it.

I think what people are trying to say is that the easiest way for most of us to get past those cravings for sweets or carbs in the first few days was to white knuckle it, just be strong, use will power and say no. You can't do that kind of thing forever, but usually people can for a couple of days and that is generally all it takes to switch over into ketosis and then the cravings are usually gone.

Whatever you need to do, do it! It may have sounded like people were giving you a hard time, but I think they were just trying to help.

Val
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 20:08
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

NewMe,

I understand, and I venture to say that all of us do--it is our cravings and appetites that got us into this predicament in the first place.

Here's yet another suggestion: hydrate the heck out of yourself. Many times we answer the body's cry for water with food. My most successful days are the ones I start out with 6 cups of water before I eat anything. Sound overwhelming?

It's really not. I drink my water in a 3 cup mug, heated up, sweetened with splenda and a squirt of lemon juice. Some people will say no to artificial sweeteners, but for me they help me keep on track and not feel too sorry for myself.

Here's another thought that helped me: there was a post going around here asking "What do you crave the most?" I realized for me when I read that is that what I crave the most is being slender. It can seem so far away--you just have to build resolve and a support system during your strong moments to help you through the hard times, which will come.

And I agree, it sounds like you need to eat more. Spoil yourself on a beautiful salad, fresh berries and cream, whatever it takes to keep you from feeling deprived.

Hang in there, get rid of the munchies, and it gets easier. If you need more carbs, make them the `good' carbs--veggies, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 00:46
Under Construction

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/253/160 Female 5foot 5 inches
BF:50.6%/44.3%/24%
Progress: 31%

New Me..

Hang in there...doing a clean induction is key to getting all the cravings out of your system. I have done Atkins several different times and it was those little things that you mentioned that always helped me to fail and go right back to the old way. In December I tested with High Blood Sugar (very high) and I knew right then I had to do this..the first week was HORRIBLE but I did it clean and haven't looked back since (except for once...and it cost me 4 pounds!). Getting those cravings out of your system is key to making this WOL work.

Someone mentioned maybe this low carb way isn't he right fit for you and it might not be.

We are all here to support you....keep at it and before you know it it will become a way of life for you! Good luck...