Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Questions

Hi guys, I still haven't started Body for Life. I'm still contemplaiting it, and giving myself time to think it over. I've been working out since June, I've been low carbing for about 2 and a half years. So diet and excercise (except for cardio which I hate) don't scare me. What scares me is that I'm afraid I will be taking on more than I can do.

Working out every day but one sounds a lot like overtraining to me. Don't you get exhausted? Don't you find that your strength starts to decrease instead of grow stronger? I've had this happen just with the workouts I've been doing and have had to take more rest days in between.

How can I be sure I won't be biting off more than I can chew on this thing? Why does it scare me so much? I want to do it. I really do, but I don't want to commit to something I'm going to fail at and I'm so afraid I won't be able to handle all the demands of the program.

Being a perfectionist makes it harder. I'm sure I would try to do the whole thing at maximum intensity or else I would give up when I found that I couldn't. How do you learn to pace yourself so that the amount you do is just right for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 01:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 180/173/145
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Just finished week 3, and woudn't dare stop now!

Honestly, the first week, I was tired! I was really really tired! I haven't worked out this hard in my life. But tomorrow I start week 4, and I'm LOVING it! I am getting stronger. My body is definitely changing. The week one pictures and the week 3 pictures show amazing progress already. When week 4 ends, I'll post pictures here in the BFL forum. I even RAN during HIIT! I blew my own mind last week.

I go to bed a little earlier, and I get up alot earlier in the morning. But it feels wonderful to be striving for this ongoing goal of getting fit and healthy. I read fitness magazines for fun! My mind is getting healthy along with my body. I LOVE IT!

If you're trying to figure out if it's worth it or not, just go over your goals, and take a good hard look. Read what you want over and over to yourself. I bet you'll find out that YOU'RE WORTH IT!

As far as overtraining is concerned. I feel like if you do BFL workouts by the book, you will not overtrain your body. I think most people can work their bodies a hell of a lot more than they do. The workouts are set up for plenty of recovery time, and I haven't walked into to do a workout for upper or lower body with sore muscles from the previous workout for that muscle group. Get lots of sleep, drink lots of water, eat good food, and love yourself.

You can do it. If this lazy fat chick can do it (me!) anybody can do it! Please let us know what you decide.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 07:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sherry, overtraining takes months to kick in and it is usually the result of under recovering - not eating right and not getting adequate sleep. The 3 months (or 12 weeks) of BFL exercise seems daunting when you look at it on paper but in reality it is 3x45 minute resistance workouts and 3x20 minute aerobic workouts. For me this ended up being less time working out that I had been doing before BFL.

If you get your 8 hours sleep a night and if you get in good nutrition (be it by the book or LC) you should feel good. Not just good, great. Powerful, self confident, STRONG.

There is a week of rest factored into challenges - this serves to keep 'overtraining/under recovering' at bay. Many people don't like to take that week off (I have been guilty of this) but it's suggested for a reason.

Why does this scare you so much? Perhaps it is the realization that to do this you have to make a commitment - to YOURSELF. We are great at being there for others, at being good mothers and fathers, at being good spouces and co-workers, but when it comes to putting ourselves first? We tend to be pretty out of practice. Getting up every day and getting the workouts in, eating well and getting your sleep means you make and keep a promise to yourself every single day. It can take practice

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 08:28
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Sherry, I agree with everything Nat and HulaGirl says.

When I bought my treadmill in April '02, right after turning 50, I couldn't walk very fast nor for very long. But it made me realize just how out of shape I was. Heart disease, high cholesterol, osteoporosis and hypertension runs in my family. Now 5 weeks later I can powerwalk and even jog if I want to and I feel wonderful!!

Before I started BFL (8/19) I was doing a program all my own. Not heavy weights or anything, just some sort of cardio for atleast 20 mins. everyday, and then I added weight resistance training. I in fact was overtraining. I did start to see a change in body composition but I was also very fatigued. I didn't realize that I don't have to be so intense every day of the week.
My problem was lack of education. After I learned thru research and forums like this one that I was overdoing it, my workouts became easier and much more fulfilling. I was even keeping away all those nasty menopausal symptoms that have been trying to take over my body for the last 2 years. I sleep better, I feel better and according to everyone who sees me I look better.

I am also a perfectionist. Before I started anything I went to the library and read book after book on how to be fit and lean. How to lift weights properly especially important for someone in their golden years.

I follow the BFL program by the book. If I can't do all of the reps as the books says, I just do what I can. I won't let this thing beat me! Even though I have only been a BFLer for two weeks today, I have already noticed a significant change in my body. For one thing I can actually see calf muscles. And my flappy arms are getting tone and definition to them. Most importantly, I feel great!

When you finally commit yourself to this program, no matter how long it takes, you will look back and say to yourself "What was I so afraid of?"
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:06
Registered Member

Default Thanks guys (or should I say gals?)

You've given me just what I needed. A little courage.

I've been on the verge of deciding to do it anyway, it is just that I was blowing it up in my mind as way too much more than I'm capable of. In reality I have been lifting weights just about every other day anyway, and the only thing I will be adding is the aerobics. (I HATE aerobics. No one is EVER going to make me like it). 20 minutes three times a week isn't impossible, I just need to "toughen up and just deal with it".

I did my aerobic workout this morning, I didn't like it, but I did it. The thing is I don't work out at a gym I use my excercise room in the basement and the only thing I have down there for aerobics is a healthrider and that thing is so intense anyway I couldn't figure out how to vary the intensity. I'm way tired by the time I get through 20 minutes of using it. On the other hand I guess I do have stairs, I could go up and down stairs for 20 minutes...

I'm not going to do the challenge yet. I'm going to do a practice run until October 7 which is when the next official challenge starts (on the BFL website). If I can get through the next month without killing myself I'm going to do the official challenge.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I will have many more questions as I get started.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:24

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default Cardio

If you hate the cardio, try to find something you kinda like to do. Maybe an exercise video or something. When I was doing BFL, I ran on my treadmill and listened to music. Sometimes, I'd burn really silly cd's w/ sonny and cher and some upbeat stuff with Ricky Martin. You just need to look at it a bit different. It's ONLY 20 min. Maybe try a jumprope? Cheap and you can set your own pace and even try tricks!

good luck to you and I hope this helps!
Peace,
Brenda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 14:57
Lover of Life

BF:

Way to go Sherry!!! You go girl!!

I am going to tell you a secret. Before I bought my treadmill I did my cardio with music and 1.5 lb. weights. I would just dance my way around the house for 20 mins. I bought a couple or cardio CD's with music of the 70's and 80's.

We are all very proud of you. This is just the beginning, you too will be hooked on this WOL.

Here's to a healthier you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 14:58
Registered Member

Talking

I keep thinking about buying and trying to use roller blades, but at my age I'm a little afraid I will break and ankle or something....

That would be more fun cardio. Maybe bike riding. Just keeping the intensity up with either of those would be difficult though (I think).
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 15:03
Lover of Life

BF:

Sherry:

I tried the roller blade thing several years ago when I was 45
No can do. Too hard on my ankles. I couldn't control them and ran into a car.

My kids banned me from them, said I was an accident waiting for a place to happen.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 18:15
Registered Member

Default Well this is frustrating

I went to 6 different sites to try and determine my body fat percentages and I get 7 different answers (if you include my Tanita scale).

They range from a low of 31.1 % to as much as 46.2%

How do I know which is the most accurate?
Health Central said 33.9%
Tanita scale says 44%
CKD site says 32.81%
? says 40.7%
Circumference measurement at Fitwise said 46.2%
YMCA measurement at Fitwise said 31.1%
and Body tracker said 45.63%

Sheesh which one is reasonably accurate? (Averaging them all I come up with 39.05%).

I want to get some body fat calipers and measure it that way, but I can't seem to find them locally. One store is going to call me when they get them in.

In the mean time I want to get started and see if I can lower it, which measurement should I use?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 20:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Honestly, Sherry, it doesn't matter which number or calculator you use. What is relevant is the change you see over time when you use the same method. I get numbers that range from 15% to 31% and I know that neither of those is accurate, so I chose one in the middle of the two and that's the one I use all the time now. I don't know if it's right but I do know that a year ago it was a lot higher and that's what matters.

Short of underwater testing they're all going to be off by at least 3%. Take the numbers with a grain of NuSalt

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 14:22
Registered Member

Default Ok Nat

I guess I will just use the Tanita scale then. I don't much like it because it varies depending on how much water you have in your body (yesterday said 44% today says 46%), but I guess at least it is easy to use.

One thing I did is calculate my lbm based on 44% yesterday and figured out that my goal weight is way too low. I determined that I must have at least 125 pounds of lean body mass right now, and if that is the case than at 130 I would be only 4% body fat.

So I guess I'm going to have to update my goal. I remember weighing 130 when I was young and looked good, but I guess I didn't have as much muscle then?

So what is a good body fat percentage for a woman?

I did my first BFL workout today. Couldn't keep it to 46 minutes it took me at least an hour. Found out a couple of things that worked and some that didn't.

I guess I'm really impatient. I have been trying for SO long and trying so hard to lose this fat I have in my body that now that I found this particular program I want to hurry it up. It is hard to be so psyched up and ready to go, and be at a point where I have to wait til tomorrow to do anything more than I've already done today.

Is there anything you can do to assure that you will have even better results than average?

What about supplements? Which ones aren't just someone trying to sell something? I don't enjoy feeling hyped up artificially, is there anything that can increase my metabolism without leaving me jittery? Or is there anything that will help my muscles to recover and grow, my joints to feel less "injurable" and help the muscles feel flexible and not achy?

My muscles don't feel achy now, just active and like they've been used, and they usually don't ache even with excercise, but sometimes they feel like if I stretch too far I will get a charley horse or something.

See I knew I was going to have more questions.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 23:50
Registered Member

Stats: 135/107/107 Female 5'2
BF:

Quote:
I'm going to do a practice run until October 7 which is when the next official challenge starts (on the BFL website).

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that October 7 is the LAST day to get in on the challenge for 2002. You can start any time up to and including October 7.

I just took my "before" pictures and started the challenge on September 1. I did the challenge with great results in 1999. Unfortunately, the results didn't last long because of being unable to work out due to illness (diagnosed with lupus in June 1999) as well as gaining a ton of weight being on prednisone for 6 months.

Quote:
What about supplements?

I've taken EAS PhenFree without getting jittery. This time around, though, I'm taking BetaLean HP instead. It does have ephedra in it which the PhenFree doesn't. I'll let you know how I feel in a few days!

I'm also taking BetaGen (also did in '99) and CytoVol (this is new for me) this time around to help build and maintain muscle. I'm only going to take the CytoVol on the days I lift weights because of the carbs in it. I plan to have a shake after my lifting: myoplex lite, betagen and cytovol for a total of 40 carbs. I figure this is a good amount of carbs to suppress the cortisol after training. All other days will be very low carb.

Anyone else "officially" doing the challenge? Any advice on the supplements? I'd love to hear it!

Brenda
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 09:12
Registered Member

Default Thanks Brenda

Now can you give me a clue what all those things are supposed to do for you? I don't want to be jittery, just hate that feeling. I did buy some glutamine yesterday because Nat said it was a natural amino acid (which is a building block of protein), and that it would help with muscle rebuilding and achiness.

I, of course, want to do the very best job I can on this, but I'm not going to just start putting weird things in my body unless I know what to expect from them.

The whole supplement thing confuses me anyway. I've heard of the ECA stack, and considered taking it, but I'm not sure how much caffiene is involved. Green tea is supposed to be helpful for dieters too I've heard.

As far as the challenge is concerned, I am putting off making the committment to actually do it until I am sure I can handle this first month. The program is supposed to run for 12 weeks right? So if you start early you still end at the same time, just add weeks to the 12, isn't that so?

I'm thinking I might need a week of rest before the official 12 week thing happens, so I'm going to wait before "officially" committing to it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 11:27
Registered Member

Stats: 135/107/107 Female 5'2
BF:

Quote:
Now can you give me a clue what all those things are supposed to do for you?

Here's what I'm taking. I'm doing the program to lose fat, gain strength:

BetaLean HP

BetaLean HP combines the original ephedrine and caffeine combination along with a unique proprietary formula consisting of L-Tyrosine, Naringin, Coleus Forskohli and Green Tea to enhance the overall thermogenic effect. Additionally, to improve insulin sensitivity, a common problem associated with excess fat accumulation, alpha-lipoic acid has been included.

Utilizing Precision Release Matrix™, BetaLean HP delivers 80% of the active constituents initially and the remainder over the following two to three hours. This technology takes the "edge" off preliminary effects of traditional thermogenics and optimizes the thermogenic effect over the course of the day. When taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise program, BetaLean HP is designed to not only increase fat burning but support a healthy metabolic rate; your "total body transformation solution."

WARNING! Please review before purchasing or supplementing with BetaLean HP

(There is also an ephedra free formula)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BetaGen

BetaGen dietary supplement is the first formula to combine university-tested EAS' HMB (ß-hydroxy ß-methylbutyrate monohydrate) and Phosphagen brand creatine monohydrate along with the amino acids taurine and glutamine, the two most abundant amino acids in muscle tissue.

BetaGen was designed to:
Increase Lean Mass and Strength
Suppress Muscle Protein Breakdown Following Exercise
Enhance Muscle Energetics and Recuperation

Recommended Use:
As a dietary supplement, add 1½ teaspoons to 4 oz of water or juice, and stir/mix until dissolved. Or add a serving of BetaGen to your favorite protein drink or nutrition shake. Use 3 servings daily. Do not exceed recommended serving.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CytoVol

CytoVol HP is the next generation carbohydrate, recover and energy formula, designed for athletes who want to improve recovery, increase energy and ultimately perform at a higher level.

CytoVol HP contains a blend of amino acids including glutamine and glutamine peptides, vitamin and mineral blend and glucose polymers as a source of glycogen restoring carbohydrates.

CytoVol HP features:
6 grams of glutamine and glutamine peptides.
Not only does glutamine aid in muscle recovery and increased muscle cell volume, but it is also important in supporting a healthy immune system.
18 grams of specialized glucose polymers.
This carbohydrate blend is designed to improve muscle glycogen, which is beneficial to muscle performance and recovery.
Antioxidant and energy vitamin/mineral blend.
Antioxidant vitamins, including vitamins A, C and E can help prevent free radical damage caused by intense training. B Vitamins help create energy at a cellular level and are important to fuel the brain.

Recommended Use:
As a dietary supplement, mix/stir 1 level scoops in 6 to 8 oz of cold water or juice and consume after training and/or before going to sleep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myoplex Lite

Optimal nutrition plays a vital role in the pursuit of greater health and the quest to build a leaner, more toned body. Unfortunately, in today's busy world, it's sometimes difficult, even for the most dedicated people, to find time to shop for, prepare, and consume multiple meals, day in and day out, that contain all of the nutrients necessary to support their efforts to build better bodies. Fortunately, there's Myoplex Lite, a unique precision-nutrition shake that helps take the guesswork out of optimal nutrition.

This unique, custom-engineered nutrition shake is formulated to include protein, vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients your body needs to maintain muscle tissue while you reduce calorie intake and optimize fat burning, and it has 33% fewer calories than the original Myoplex nutrition shake. Myoplex Lite has the specially formulated proprietary blend ProLean II comprised of ion-exchanged whey protein as well as soy-protein isolates, which have been shown to support the metabolism as well as muscle mass, especially during a low-calorie diet or an intense training cycle. Scientific studies show soy-protein isolates may help minimize suppression of thyroid-hormone production, which frequently occurs during calorie restriction. Oftentimes, when you go on a low-calorie diet, your body fights back by slowing down your metabolic rate, possibly by reducing thyroid-hormone production. When this happens, losing fat can be even harder than it already is.

To complement the metabolic support provided by ProLean II, Myoplex Lite contains a precise blend of natural phosphate compounds which, according to research, may enhance workout performance and support the metabolic rate. In one study, phosphate-supplemented subjects burned significantly more calories than those using a placebo.

Myoplex Lite is also unique in that it contains a special blend of carbohydrates which help stabilize blood-sugar levels. One of the novel carbohydrate sources in Myoplex Lite, called xylitol, has been shown in scientific studies to actually help the body burn fat as a source of metabolic fuel over blood sugar.

And, to help offset the risk of nutrient deficiencies, which plagues many dieters, Myoplex Lite is formulated with 29 vitamins and minerals as well as amino acids such as glutamine and taurine, which are vital to proper muscle metabolism.

Recommended Use:
For a rich, creamy shake, combine the contents of each packet with 10 to 12 oz of cold water or skim milk and thoroughly mix in a blender or shaker for 45 seconds. Use 2 to 3 servings daily.
Methoxy Factor™ HP

In the quest to increase lean mass athletes have sought numerous avenues to up regulate certain factors related to muscle growth. Two known limiting factors in the muscle building process are nitrogen retention and protein synthesis.

Methoxy Factor HP is designed to maximize these two key physiological processes so hard training athletes can get the most out of their workouts and stringent nutrition programs. Included in this formula is a highly potent 20-Hydroxy BetaEcdysone extract that may help increase nitrogen retention and protein synthesis. Also included is 5-methyl 7-methoxy isoflavone, another highly potent compound that may help decrease protein breakdown and improve muscle tissue repair. Together, this dual action complex helps to support your bodies’ regulatory mechanisms of protein necessary for the growth and repair of tissues.

To further enhance the effects of Methoxy Factor HP and to ensure optimal bioavailability and assimilation, Methoxy Factor HP is delivered via softgel in a micronized oil suspension.

Recommended Use:
As a dietary supplement, take two softgels, two to three times a day with a protein rich meal. For best results take after your workout and before bed.

Of course, when "officially" doing the challenge you are only required to use ONE EAS product. If you take other supplements already, I would recommend the one EAS product to use be the Myoplex Lite shake. If the carb count scares you, go for the Myoplex Low-Carb formula. I plan on having my shake as a post workout meal so the carbs will suppress the cortisol in my body and prevent catabolism of my muscles.

I'd recommend not ordering from EAS directly, though they do give a discount to those registered as doing the challenge. There are a few other websites that have better prices than EAS.

Quote:
The program is supposed to run for 12 weeks right? So if you start early you still end at the same time, just add weeks to the 12, isn't that so?

Your 12 weeks go from the day you start the challenge for 12 continuous weeks. To prevent cheating, there are strict quidelines to follow as to when you can take your before and after pictures. The challenge is not just based on your physical transformation, there is also a question and answer portion of the challenge that is worth 50% of your overall score.

You really seem to have the mindset to undertake a challenge like this. Attitude is half the battle! Keep up the good work!

Brenda