Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default need your help guys...

I am putting myself out there, asking for all of your support, help/willingness to be straight and if needs be- harsh with me!
I keep self sabotaging.... I tell myself I don't have time... that my kids need me and working out right then would be selfish... that I am too tired... that the new puppy will be traumatised for life if I leave him alone for the amount of time it takes to work out.
I KNOW what I need to do.. i need to set my priorities (HEALTH) and stick to them... I think I have very serious issues that every time I get one step closer to feeling better about myself, I stop working out, and go to MacDonalds... I have been cheating a whole lot more than I have been letting on to you guys or even myself... but it is making me seriously depressed and we are talking even ON TOP of the elephants dose of Prozac i am on.
Why can't I be good to myself? I know how good exercise and TRUE low carbing makes me feel... I know it all but wipes out the anxiety and depression I am so blessed (LOL!) with... I wish we were all in a true real life community.... any thoughts would be so so welcomed.
Doods.
Oh, and I think the best thing would be to start over, yet again, BFL on Monday. What do you all think?
Thanks again. Doods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:12

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Doodle
I think I have very serious issues that every time I get one step closer to feeling better about myself, I stop working out, and go to MacDonalds...

Hi Doodle....

I think that this one sentence pretty much sums it up. Some soul searching to come up with reasons why you don't believe that you DESERVE to feel better, physically, mentally and spiritually. What is the pay off for staying stuck as you are? What do you fear will happen if you get looking and feeling better? I think if you can answer these questions, you will be taking a first step toward changing.

Start looking for the GOOD things that you are doing and give yourself credit for them. Sometimes that will be enough to inspire us to have even more good things to count.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hey Doodle!

I don't know if the buddy system will help you or not, but I have started a thread under the buddy-up section looking for virtual exercise partners because I know that I do not have the motivation to do it without someone kicking me in the a$$. With summer here I have every reason to get off my butt and exercise, but I always find myself making excuses. I've even cleaned the house to put off going outside for a run. Actually it's pretty surprising how much I can get done when i'm procrastinating!!

I had to give up BFL a month or so ago because I really did have too much on my plate, but I'm looking to start up with it again, and could use any support I can get. I can usually get myself going if I know that someone is counting on me for something, but if left to my own devices, I get lazy.

Drop by the thread if you're interested...the more the merrier...just be sure that you're really harsh with me if I slack off!!

Cheers!

KC
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:16

BF:

Thanks you two... I WILL drop buy that thread, and I will keep soul searching, it is a never ending process for me... self indulgent eejit that I am!
Doods.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:19

BF:

oh where is that thread?
Doods.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:36

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I hope this works...the link for the thread...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=45278

KC
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:46

BF:

It worked... you are now officially a forum buff!
Doods... and thankyou!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:48

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Hi Doods

I dont know if you workout at a gym or not? I work out at night so sometimes its hard to summon up the effort but here's what works for me when I am not feeling motivated. I have scheduled my workouts at the same time as my boys activities at YMCA. I think about how good it is for them to be active... I guess I am THEIR workout buddy even though they look at it as playing. Could you do something like this?

Whenever you are trying to talk yourself out of a workout use the argument that you will feel so much better afterwards and YOU are worth the time and effort. If we all cant spare 1 hour for ourselves 3 or 4 times a week something else has to give. So what if the sink has dishes in it or the garden is not weed free. You dont walk around with your house and garden... you walk around with yourself. Sorry... I am going on a bit here, but I'm actually reinforcing a few ideas here for myself as well, right now as I type.

Akiwican
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 12:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: need your help guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by Doodle
Oh, and I think the best thing would be to start over, yet again, BFL on Monday. What do you all think?

Doods, I think starting all over isnt a good idea. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue on. Restarting even once can be demoralizing. You've done the work for those weeks that are past, whether it was 100% or not, you logged the time. The idea behind us all picking up our weights and doing BFL isnt that it ends 12 weeks later. What we learn we incorporate into our WOL.

Do you know why you keep sabotaging yourself? I'm not Raz when it comes to self analysis or understanding one's motivations, but identifying the root of the problem has to be part of figuring out what to do about it. Why not have a look through her Journal? It may give you some insights. And never, ever, second guess that you can ask us for help anytime. We are a real community

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 12:49
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Ok Doods.... enough of all this mushy talk.

No more excuses. This is your way of life and it's more important than just about anything else.... 'cause if you aren't at your best then you're cheating your kids and even your puppy out of a good role model who cares about her health.

Now, GET TO IT!!! You miss NO MORE workouts unless you're sick or injured. You hear me???? GO!! GET STRONG!!! IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER!!! Then you won't even need that darn Prozak.

Heal thyself!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

[I'm yelling because I care! I'm behind you ALL the way!]
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 13:26

BF:

Thankyou so much... and I mean it.
Doods.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 16:51
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Wink Are we still friends?

Hey Doods...

I got an email saying that you tried to send me a PM but my box was full.... so I did empty it. Were you gonna blast me back? You know I was just kiddin' with you, right? You are the sweetest thing....and have a great sense of humor, I would never want to offend you!

Seriously, though, Doods...I know you can do this.... you licked the Candida for pete's sake!! That's not an easy thing to do. You've come so far, but I know that getting motivated to work out is sometimes very difficult. For me, though, NOT working out is much worse....the guilt practically consumes me. This is a person who's spent the last 20 years on the couch. I'm no Nat.

I just want you to feel as good as I feel. We're here to kick your butt anytime you need it.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 09:25

BF:

Teri... I was PM'ing you to thank you!!!!
I am feeling mucho bettero today... I think I need to eat more fat... I have been feeling decidedly "Low-Cal, Low-Fat" lately... you know the depressive syndrome those two bring on? Well, I have caught myself existing on protein bars and shakes lately, the only real fat I am consuming is the butter on my veggies, and there have been days lately when I have gone without said veggies at that!!! BAd bad bad.... I recently applied for life insurance and I am, i think, scared that lowcarbing will have an adverse effect on the blood tests they will surely do.... so I have slipped back into low fat, low cal, while still low carbing... and we know THAT doesn't work. So, I need a total re-evalution and re-start. I need to go back and read my low carb books again, AND DO WHAT THEY SAY. Sorry to go on and on, but I have stopped pretending to be Miss perfect, and I am letting it all hang out from now on!

Doods.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 07:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

LOOK HERE, MS. DOODLE, THIS HAS GONE FAR ENOUGH! I ALWAYS SO ENJOY READING YOUR POSTS AND THINK YOU SOUND LIKE A GREAT LAUGH, AND RATHER LIKE ME (THAT IS *NOT* MEANT TO BE AN INSULT !). ALL THIS SELF-DEFEAT AND SABOTAGE ARE AWFUL, AREN'T THEY?

ANYWAY, I WAS IN THE LIBRARY THE OTHER DAY AND SAW THE BFL BOOK. I SAID TO MYSELF, "HEY! THAT'S WHAT DOODLE IS DOING" AND GOT IT OUT. NOW I THINK I'LL GIVE IT A GO, STARTING MONDAY WHEN HUBBY IS AWAY AT WORK, PERHAPS. I AM JUST LOOKING INTO IT TODAY, AND ISN'T SUNDAY THE REST DAY?

I FIND THE BOOK A BIT "AMERICAN" (SORRY, FOLKS) AND GUNG HO FOR AN ADOPTED SCOT LIKE ME BUT I AM PERSEVERING WITH IT AND STARTING TO GET EXCITED

THE THING THAT CONCERNS ME IS THAT I AM SUCH A PERFECTIONIST. I HAVEN'T READ THROUGH THE EXERCISE BIT (SCANNED IT), BUT WITH THE M.S. AS IT IS, I HIT THE FATIGUE WALL *FAST* AND IF I PUSH PAST IT, I FALL OVER (THAT CAN BE LITERALLY!).

I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MODIFY THE PROGRAM SO THAT I MANAGE IT BUT IT DOESN'T TRIGGER A RELAPSE. I WANT TO DO IT AND NOT KID MYSELF ON THAT I AM TOO FRAIL, BUT THERE ARE ALWAYS OBSTACLES (SELF-IMPOSED A LOT OF THE TIME), AREN'T THERE? FINDING WHERE TO GET HOLD OF A WEIGHTS ROOM IS ONE OF THE OBSTACLES. I HAVE 3 AND 5 LB. DUMBELLS AND AN EXERCISE BIKE AT HOME, AND ACCESS TO THE CAR A COUPLE OF DAYS A WEEK...

ANYWAY, I'M WAFFLING. THANKS FOR GETTING ME INTERESTED, DOODS. YOU'RE TREMENDOUS
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 08:54

BF:
Default Re: NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Quote:
Originally posted by lossiebeth
DOODS. YOU'RE TREMENDOUS

Thanks Beth, right back atchya.
I am doing mucho bettero these days, except I am experiencing a cravey day today, So I think I will have a wee bit of a Keto shake with glutamine in it to satisfy (somewhat) myself.
DO give BFL a go... I know exactly what you are talking about when you say they are aspects of it you don't like, I am trying to see beyond all that to the actual info he gives...
Having said that, I have been slacking off somewhat myself lately, funny, if I am doing well with the eating, the exercise suffers and vice versa.. One day I will be a completely stable, even and organised person... yeah right. In the mean time, I will just try to keep my kids fed and clean and warm!
And yes. I DO have a large amount of Yank in me... SOrry!
Doods