Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/193/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Back in the Saddle

Today I'm starting my umpteenth low carb program. I've mainly done Atkins and Protein Power, am doing Protein Power now. I don't have a copy of the book in the house, so here's a quick question--How many carbs are alllowed per day in the induction phase? How long is recommended for induction?

I need to lose 30-35 pounds from my 5'9" frame. I'm 54 and fairly active. I lift weights and bicycle outdoors and on stationery bikes at least 3 times a week, burning 500+ calories per session. Per tests, my thyroid function is in the low normal range. Sounds like I should be Slenderella, huh? But my body fat measures ~34% and my BMI is something like 31. Bleah. I just eat too dang much.

Recent forays into Protein Power living have shown me that it's very difficult for me to shed more than a trace of ketones. And because I'm active, I get absolutely famished fairly often.

Anyway, enough already with the complaining. Here we go, and if those test strips don't show dark burgundy fairly soon, I'm gonna be irritated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 18:17

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just finished rereading both books.

Phase 1 should last until your carb cravings cut back and your blood values improve. I don't think they give a set length. Probably 2 weeks to a month. Phase 1 carbs should be about 30 per day, spread evenly throughout the day.

The Eades' don't worry so much about visible ketosis. If you drink enough water, it will only show a trace no matter what your body is really doing behind the scenes.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 13:01
Registered Member

BF:

Hi there, Bat Spit--funny name, and I wonder what it means ...

Yes, I've relaxed my expectations for visible ketosis. Reading around these forums, I see that most plans say ketones don't have to register in the high ranges. I've dropped about 9 pounds in 5 days, and I can't have been all THAT waterlogged. I'm keeping calories low by cutting out a lot of fats, and carbs low by cutting out a lot of caffeine. Also I'm continuing to exercise.

Tally ho!

Last edited by Lynnrea : Tue, Mar-07-06 at 13:04. Reason: Incoherency
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:

Argh. Last weekend was an LC bust. I was traveling, failed to plan adequately, and ate plenty of carbs. Coincidentally, on Sunday I came down with a flu that includes a bellyache, muscle aches, and a fever. Yesterday's weigh-in was way up from Friday's. Right now I'm taking in only only meat and eggs, with small amounts of coffee and diet cola and lots of water. Be interesting to see how long it takes for the virus to die off and the weight to come off. Also I'm going to be out of town all of next week and possibly the week after, and am trying to figure out how to stay with the LC program on the road.

Argh.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default Back in the saddle, part II

ARGH again. Sick for the 4th day. However, I'm not too sick to eat and am in the 3rd day of a meat and egg fast. (I overdid it on fat calories on the first day.) The sticks tell me I'm in mild ketosis but the scales say I've gained another pound! My ankles are puffy, so there's no mystery about the extra weight. I'm hoping for a big WHOOSH! once the virus works itself out and I regain equilibrium.

Has anyone else out there had a problem like this during a viral illness?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 14:08

Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Lynnrea, if you're sick, you really need to only worry about getting in your minimum daily protein amount, and really need to work on making sure that your fluid intake is up. Not only water, at this point--chicken veggie soup, or a spicy garlic-y soup if you're stuffed up are both good ways to go. I'd ditch the diet cola--you might consider replacing it with peppermint tea which is good for stomachs when they're off and for easing any throat/upper respiratory issues that go along with the muscle aches, fevers, etc.

You might also want to consider a protein drink (AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes if you don't feel like making your own, or protein powder and your own ingredients if you're up to it.) Sometimes when you're sick, it's easier to drink your protein than eat it.

But most important of all in just starting this plan, do NOT worry about limiting your fats unless you only have 5-10 pounds to lose. You need good fats and adequate protein to teach your body about gluconeogenesis--if you just cut carbs and don't pay attention to getting your protein minimums and proportionately increase fats, you'll only be doing half the job.