Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 19:07

Plan: My WOE
Stats: 194/161/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 97%
Question Fruit..

I have made the decision to use PP as my guide. However, I haven't read the book(s) yet .. In the process of waiting to order the book(s), I have decided to do what I have learned so far about the plan. I figured why wait if I can apply what I've learned and exercise? There's no time like the present. Anyway, my question is what kind of fruits do they recommend eating? I remember reading berries, mellon, and peaches in "The Low-Carb Plans" on the main page of the Low-Carber website and from PP's FAQ's site. So what are some fruits that are available?

Thanks in advance

For what it's worth, I have dropped 2 pounds.

I'm on my way.. Come onnn 48 pounds.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 07:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Fantasy! Welcome aboard. You'll like the PP plan as it allows a wide array of foods and doesn't have any forbidden foods (and by forbidden, I mean like how on Atkins Induction you CANNOT have peanuts, you CANNOT have fruit or fruit juice, you CANNOT have cottage cheese, etc.).

BUT, for some people, those same restrictions help them with dealing with the cravings that come when you first start a low-carb plan. Kind of like going cold turkey. If you cut out sugar, grains, etc. completely, yes it will be hell for 3 or 4 days, but then the cravings are ususally gone. If you continue eating fruit when you first start a low-carb plan, you might still get those cravings. Even the little bit of sweetness in a handful of berries is enough to set off cravings in some people. Same with artificial sweeteners like Splenda.

Think about what kind of person you are. If you want to eat fruit right from the start, stick with berries only, and only a few a day. If you continue to have cravings for more sweet stuff, or if your hunger doesn't abate in a couple days, ditch the berries and all other sweeteners.

It's hard, but I truly believe it's the best way.

And yes, you can start now, but until you read the books, you won't know WHY or exactly HOW.

Ask any questions you like here on the main PP board. Or, jump into the Java Room. It's kind of more like a bunch of friends sitting around drinking coffee and chatting, but we do discuss a lot of good info, too.

I'll be checking the main PP section to see if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!

Cool smilies, by the way. Where did you get them and how did you insert them?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 08:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Fantasy.

I did exactly what you did when I joined this forum. Before I got my mitts on a copy of the book, I started off by eliminating sugar. I replaced at least half of my high-carb foods (eg pasta) with vegetables. Within a week or so, I eliminated the "white stuff" completely. This gave me a good head start and eliminated any nasty withdrawls.

On the topic of sweet fruit... I stick with berries, even in maintenance. They're the best antioxidant punch with the lowest sugar content. High sugar fruit isn't worth the sugar (personally) when I can get better nutrition from vegetables and the non-sweet fruit: tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, avocados, etc. (Yep, those are all fruit.) When they're actually in season, I might buy a few pears, peaches and apples, and split them with my SO. After all, here in Niagara, the local produce is outstanding. My region is packed with fruit orchards and vineyards.

Best of luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 18:33

Plan: My WOE
Stats: 194/161/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Bawdy and Kristine

Thank you very much. Brawdy, I don't know what the problem is with artificial sweetners. They always make me sick .. I'm not sure if I've tried Splenda though. We do have the brown sugar Splenda here but that's because my dad is a diabetic; I haven't tried any.

Quote:
And yes, you can start now, but until you read the books, you won't know WHY or exactly HOW.

I find this statement to be so true. I know a tad bit of why and how (but as you've stated, I can't know everything until I read the book). What I've decided to do with this is, eat a lot of food that I know are healthy and low in carbs and high in protein. For instance, eggs, salad, red meat, etc. Hmm.. Perhaps you're right about the fruit. I'm not sure if it will trigger a crave for more sugar but I don't want to take the chance.

Kristine, when I decided to do a low carb diet last year, I was able to cut out sugars cold turkey. But, with all the stress I fell off. Now I'm back on it and it's a tad bit harder but not that bad. I haven't had too much of a craving yet but I know it has crossed my mind a time or two. It's easier today though. I think what keeps me going is the fact that I know what I'm doing so far is working and I'm getting the amount of water I should be drinking as well. It's a great thing that I love vegetables lol.

Quote:
the non-sweet fruit: tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, avocados, etc.

Now these I can do .. Our produce here in Texas aren't all that great, at least in Dallas. You have to drive quite a bit in order to get them fresh.

Once again thank you both for the great advice. It is greeatly appreciated.