Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:42

Plan: protein power
Stats: 300/224/210
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Does it work twice??

I was on the diet in 1999. I lost about 85 pounds in about 4 months and felt great. My diet carb count was very low, but other than that I was high protien and never watched my fat.

Unfortunately I have gained about 30 of it back. I am not too concerned, as it took over 3 years for that 30 to come on.

I started the diet again 14 days ago, and I don't seem to be having strong reuslts. I have lost about 6-7 lbs in the first 7 days, and maybe 1 in days 8-14. Therefore I have lost about 7 lbs in 14 days. Also, I have not been able to get my ketosis strips to read over trace.

My diet is well under 30 carbs. I am drinking protien shakes (with water), eating high protien, and somewhat high fat. I have no alcohol in my diet, but do drink 4-5 cups of coffee (cream no sugar a day). I also eat dinner late at night.

I really want to take off another 25, but don't feel very optomistic.

Jack
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jack, you've lost 7 lbs in 14 days, what's not to feel optimistic about??? You have less fat to lose this time around, so using the 10% guideline, you could still lose the same percentage of fat even if it's not the same absolute number. Even that is beside the real point. The real point is it is working.

One clarification about the plan, it's a protein adquate diet. The bulk of your calories should be coming from FAT, not protein. This might make a difference for you. Your body doesn't like using protein for energy, it would much rather use fat - feed it enough fat so it doesn't think it has been put on a 'diet' and it will reward you with fat loss.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 13:58

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default it's slow going for me too.

Although I would agree that 7 pounds in 14 days is INCREDIBLE...I would have to admit that low carbing the 2nd time around is much slower for me than the first.

But I can't think of any other way of eating I would rather do!

The general trend is DOWN.
The food is incredible.
I can eat this way for the rest of my life.

So enjoy the great benefits of this way of life, and the pounds will come down...not maybe as quickly as you'd like...but feeling great and eating well while losing is not a bad way to go!
-- Loretta
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 21:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/145/136
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was on PP program about a 2 years ago and lost about 26 lbs in 4 months. I tried to do the PP again somewhere in November last year, but the weight does't really budge. I think I have gotten pretty discouraged especially when I don't see any results within a week. Then I would get frustrated and start eating a whole lot of carbo again.

I really don't know if PP will ever work for me again
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/155/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 69%

Well, I have been off and on lo-carb for the past year. I've lost the same 10 pounds at least three times, I think. But I do seem to have a pattern, nothing much comes off until about 7-10 days into the diet. Then, whoosh! A bunch comes off at once! When I stayed on the diet for several months, that pattern kept up. So I'm looking forward to about my 10th day this time. Diana
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

I've done likewise, I lost 70 pounds the first time and gained it and well lets just say A LOT more back on. This second time around was a bit tougher and the plateu's were a bit longer but it still works this last time I lost (depends on the time of day haha) 137-139 lbs (and still losing for now), so yes it works the second time around, but do learn from it, this is a way of life and not something to keep having to re-do, you'll be much happier in the long run. (its taken me a year and a half to arrive at that figure and it only took me about a year to put it on... )

Good Luck

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 15:59
Registered Member

Stats: 175/159/150
BF:32%
Progress: 64%
Default success

I did this 6 years ago and lost 50 lbs in 6 months, that stayed off for 5 years with no concious effort. llast year darned allergy doc put me on prednisone for a week. (It really helped--for a week then my allergies wer worse) I gained ten pounds and in the next year of half heartedly trying to lose it I gained ten more. I finally got serious in Jan and lost -ZIP -- NADA for two months. I was being very careful to pick healthy low fat meats and my calorie intake was about 1400 a day. Tried everything I could think of to get this stall busted and started reading. Went on another board and some suggested upping my fat intake fat. I Lost five pounds and an inch and a half in a week. I got an Atkins book and on pg 271 read about this fat fast. Tried it for three days. He had good high fat suggestions. Lost another five in three days and another inch and a half on my waist. I was going to go for four days but on the thrid day got this craving for salad like there was no tomorrow. Went back to eating high fat and am still losing. I hope this can help you. The foods he suggested were sausage, avocados, heavy cream, macadamia nuts, stuff like that. For the fast you don't go over 1000 calories. Sure seems to have jolted my system out of neutral.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:20

Plan: protein power
Stats: 300/224/210
BF:
Progress: 84%

I am the original poster of this message. I am glad to say that I am now almost 2 months in to my "second time around" and am down 22 or 23 lbs. I am definitely happy, but it was much harder this time around.

It seems to be working well, and I am effortlessly eating and losing weight!

Jack
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 10:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Good for you big_jack! I have heard from other posters that the second time LCing can be slower, but you stuck with it and have had good weight loss to show for it!