Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 23:53
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Corn syrup is fine, and pancake and syrup are almost always included on my carb-ups, just try not to put butter on 'em. And I probably eat at least half of my carbs in high GI carbs, e.g. dextrose, lots of sweetened cereals (golden grahms are my fav.), smarties candies, bottletops candies, skittles candies, non or lowfat ice cream, mashed potatoes, and then I eat lower GI carbs such as brown rice, pasta, pizza with lowfat cheese, and sweet potatoes, that kinda stuff. Anyway, just about anything is fair game to me as long as adequate protein and keep fat low as I can.

Oh and brush your teeth well after all that sweet stuff, hehe

Oh, yes, of course, for CKD-type carbups. I was thinking NHE-style. Different strategy.

Rob Faigin specifies low-fat, low-protein for the carbups on NHE.

Mmmmmm - pancakes....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 03:44
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Hehe, didn't get that many carbs in, huh? I wish I had problems eating enough food like you and many people I've read about! Anyway, you may want to try to add more liquid carbs in next time, as in adding dextrose to your protein shakes. Two "coffee scoops" (1/8 cup each) = 48gs carbs (you can put 4 heaping in, quick 100+ carbs), it's very sweet, just drink, get it down, and shouldn't bother you for long
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 04:05

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:
Default tingling carb up

When I carb up I swear I can 'feel it'. Like a tingling sensation throughout my body. I don't know if it's the insulin response or the higher blood sugar but I'm not kidding... it is very real. Does anyone else experience this? Do you know what it is?
Maybe I'm a freak.
Interesting note... 2 scoops of whey gives me a similar feeling.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 04:10
Southern Gentleman

Oh, I feel lots of things, most not wanted, hehe. But I've been experimenting with mega-digestive enzyme supplementation and it seems to be helping tremendously. Don't know about tingling, though, the only other thing I feel is like, maybe I won't get to the couch on time, hehe, I like my naps during the carb-up!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 07:49

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

Well..snap...Cereal (cheerios...) is ok during the carb up right?

Also, about how much protein do you take in during say a 36 hour carbup?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 08:55
Southern Gentleman

Just about any cereal is fine as long as low fat, check the label. Use the calculator to get the amount of protein you are shooting for: http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petr...ss/ckdcalc.html
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:02
Southern Gentleman

Well, sorry, I see now you want to change what they have (48 hrs) to 36 hours. Well, probably best to just use half the second 24 hours as your last 12 hours. Anyway, I don't even count myself, I just eat a lot of carbs, throw in some protein every 2 hours or so, and keep it as low fat as I can. That's just the way I do it and it works for me. Others, I guess, may have to follow the calculator specifics more closely to achieve results. I might even get better results if I stuck to 'em, but I'm ok with what I'm doing now.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:03

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

WOW.,....I hope that is accurate.

Says I am at 14% body fat instead of the 18%. I'm assuming thats wrong. BUT..it does say 60ish grams of fat, 100g of protein, around there, so i'm fine. I don''t think I exceeded 30g of fat yesterday.

I definately feel more at ease now that I have been doing this right!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:16
Southern Gentleman

Yeah, the bodyfat calculation is crappy there, says I am 17% when I am more like 20-21%. Would be nice to believe, huh?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 13:56

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

OK - my carb up weight seems to be shedding itself rather quickly (haven't done any cardio this morning either)

I guess the hope is, now that I'm "dieting" again, my weight will get a little lower with each cycle.

Next weekend: 24 hour refeed.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 17:35
Southern Gentleman

I don't really gain much weight the first part of my carb-up and not much at all when I only do a very short carb-up like yours. You did not eat very many carbs and therefor you did not add a lot of glycogen to your muscles. I don't know what you gained 5 lbs (I think it was) of, but it probably was NOT glycogen. May have been undigested food still in your digestive track, but it should come off VERY quickly. And, I think you asked earlier, NO you will probably not do much for your level of Leptin by the quantity you ate.

Since you plan on 24 hours next week, it will probably be a different story, but you have to work at getting those carbs in
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 19:57

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the weight gain, I figured it was 2 lbs of food and 3 lbs of water. I have lost half that just today.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out which form of carb refeed would be the most productive for me, a beginning dieter and lifter. My fat loss is the main goal.

The reason I asked about Leptin, is it seems to be the key to keeping your body on track metabolism wise, keeping the fat loss going and preventing stalls. So the NHE people do smaller refeeds and Built mentioned it was for thyroid, didn't mention leptin. While 48 hour CKD people seem to get the benefit of lepting and muscle glycogen super-filling up.

I think for now I'll stick with TKD and focus on the fat loss. Maybe I'll experiment with different length carb refeeds. Kind of a cool concept, except I have no desire to eat any kind of carb today.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 20:06
Southern Gentleman

Yeah, I often have very little appetite the day after carb-up. I take advantage of that and don't eat much, but usually still make sure to get a little protein and lean towards more fat. Concentrating on a little more fat and a lot less carbs the day after also helps speed you back into ketosis. That and a good bit of R-ALA and some long, slow to moderate cardio.

Last edited by Chipperoo : Sun, Jun-13-04 at 06:15.