Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 22:00
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Well I supose the purest carb would be to dump some sugar in, it's powdered ;p

There are diabetic sweetners out there made from fructose and so on, maybe get one of those? What I like doing is dumping a few strawberries or raspberries in with the shake.

LadyBelle, I'm not sure about straight sugar. It might cause more of an insulin spike than I'm looking for

Okay, so it's silly, but I tried it.

I used two scoops of Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Whey Protein and 1/3 cup of 100% Wild Oats. I ground the wild oats in our electric Molinex coffee grinder. It took about ten seconds and it was powder. I added a touch of splenda and mixed in 8 oz of water. It wasn't as nummy as Myoplex (did I mention I CRAVE Myoplex), but it wasn't bad tasting either, just a little bland and it was quite filling.

Here is the nutritional breakdown:
Calories = 338
Protein = 47.6
Carbs = 22
Fibre = 1.4
Fat = 5.7

Here is what I like about it. It will cost a lot less than Myoplex, it make me feel full, it's powder, it'll keep un-refrigerated, I can make a months worth in a few minutes, and like commercial meal replacements it's easy to mix up at work (I do my workouts during work hours).

I also like that I know what all the ingredients are:
Whey = whey, artificial flavour (okay, so I don't know what this is), acesulfame-potasium (57mg)
Oats = 100% Praire Grown Wild Oats
It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Arnie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 01:25

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

Arnie,

You crack me up!!! FYI I don't think the oatmeal idea is a bad, its actually quite interesting....I may have to try it. Personally I'm getting to the point where I don't want to eat anything, I'd rather just drink my meals, I know its bad but I sooo crave things I shouldn't have that its mentally easier to just mix something up and drink it rather than stressing over preparing something to eat.

Anyhoo do you have the stats on your meal replacement shake.....is there anything in there for fat?? Maybe I could add cream to the shake....but I'm afraid that would make it too .....milky or something. I'm rambling, guess I'll go now.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 06:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

re adding fructose to shakes: didn't Nat say that fructose isn't good for lifting? it doesn't refeed muscle glycogen?

Arnie, I have discovered that I really like the vanilla Myoplex too. Too bad it's so darned expensive! When I use up the free packets my friend gave me, I may try your homemade shake, or maybe just oatmeal w/ soy milk.

Senimoni, I think we're supposed to minimize fat in the post-workout shake so the carb & protein will be absorbed faster? That's my favorite thing about Myoplex: don't have to worry about getting the right combination of food, it's right there.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 06:23
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Arnie:

If you're going with the ground oats idea, maybe toast some rolled oats in the oven, then grind up a batch to put in the freezer to help save time. Toasted oats would impart a better flavor, IMO.

You get points for being creative.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Sep-12-03 at 06:25.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The strawberries were about the only carb thing with no fat I could think of that would go good in shakes I know fructose isn't the best, but I am still a little scared of pure sugar, and not sure what else to try.

I think soy milk would be great. Mine is a little fatty for after workout though

Does the same rule apply to HIIT days? The after workout meal being no/low fat and higher protien/carb, or is that just mainly for lifting days?
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:28

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

I had the same question about post HIIT meal...hopefully our Nat-Hero will swoop in to save us.

As for what LC fruits to add, I've been doing raspberries. From what I hear, any of the berries are good choices. I also ate some nectarine yesterday. Peaches are ok, too, I hear. I only eat a 1/2 at a time. We froze a bunch of our blackberries from the spring so I'm looking fwd to getting a mixer/bender thingy. I've not bought one b/c I'm still confused about which to get. Decisions, decisions...

badgoat
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 10:14
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I have one of those hand hgeld emursion blenders and love it. It works great on shakes when I don't want to drag out the big blender, but you have to be sure you leave room in the glass as it will splash up if not careful. It also works great on blending cottage cheese or other things that would be a pain to scrape out of a full blender. I picked it up at walmart for around $10 I think.

It can't do ice and has problems with frozen fruits though, so I still use my large blender for some things.

For my fruits I have avacados of course (numm but expencive) and since winter is coming I've started getting frozen strawberries and raspberries. The fresh is just to expencive and not that great of quality. I had 1/2 a peach a while back when my SO brought some home and the smell was driving me mad I hear plums are also decent carb/GI fruits. I am not sure what type of plum they mean though, so I havn't experimented much with them.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 15:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoat
I had the same question about post HIIT meal...hopefully our Nat-Hero will swoop in to save us.
How about beat up, chewed and spit out Nat? I'm gonna have to do

Post HIIT meal is like any other meal - it doesnt even have to be a shake. Eat all the fat you want. I have found of late that post cardio shake w/ flaxoil puts me into mega ketosis.

As for the fructose, tread lightly. Some berries here and there or half an apple wont be the end of you, but you want your 'muscle' carbs to come from other sources. Sarah is right - fructose replentishes liver glycogen. If you're working on raising carbs throughout the day and not around workouts having some low gi fruit over the day is If you're looking for more of a carb hit around a workout then go with oats, yams, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese (low fat obviousl but what can you do?) or dextrose.

-N
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:31
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I started supplimenting with flaxseed oil yesterday. I was about to faint when I saw my calorie count for today, then relized almost 400 of those were from flaxseed

Can't wait for my coconut oil to get in though, yummmyyyyyyyy. I'm glad it can be mroe of a regular meal. Maybe then I can use some of the other protien shakes I have that have some fat, but richer taste. I may throw the flaxseed into that.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:58

Plan: various
Stats: 245/198/185 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Also, as for shakes... I used to drink myoplex on BFL until I found

EAS Simply protein - Complete Whey Protein - (4 scoops to get 40g of protein, 8 carbs, 230 calories, and only 6g of sugar.

I just started using another shake called Isopure (1 serving- 50g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 aspartame, only 200 calories) It's made with splenda.

http://www.dpsnutrition.com has great deals on all supplements.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 08:17

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%
Default Lean Grow Taste Test - 2 Blechs

Hi gang,

My Lean Grow whey protein shake powder from NOW arrived. It gets a rating of 2 Blechs, taste-wise. Their chocolate Whey Protein shake only gets a half Blech. Lean Grow does not appear to come in chocolate though. Sooo, I've been mixing half and half for a total of one Blech. Ingredient-wise, I prefer the Lean Grow b/c it has fewer carbs. Both products have no artificial ickies in them and are sweetened with Stevia.

Now, if I could just commit to a blender and pick one, I will be able to add berries and try to minimize the Blech Factor.

badgoat
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:04
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi badgoat:

Be thankful you haven't tried rice protein. That gets a rating. When you get your blender, it will be so much easier. You can add some cocoa powder into the Lean Grow with whatever else you want.

If you haven't used stevia before, you'll get used to the taste. It takes a bit of persistance, but it will happen. LOL, "no artificial ickies"! You sound like me.

Wanda