Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:32

Plan: protein power
Stats: 195/189/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default breaking low carb WOE for one night

Can anyone tell me what to expect if I break my low carb eating for one night. I have been on the Protein Power plan for 10 days and have lost 6lbs. I intend to continue with this WOE indefinitely. However I am attending a previously planned event for Cinco De Mayo this weekend and know that I will not be able to resist the margaritas or the food. What effect does falling off the wagon for one night have. Does this way of eating allow for slip ups if I immediately return to low carbing the next day? Will it completely stall my weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:36

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%

Apparently you can feel like crap after a big cheat, and not psychologically! People report feeling run down and hung over the day after loading up on carbs.

Word of caution, it seems low carbing lowers you alcohol tolerance, so be careful. I know this happens to me and I have heard it from others too. I used to be able to drink a whole bottle of wine. Last night I had two glasses and was totally drunk!

There is a forum here called "confessions" were you can see the experiences of people who cheat on their LCing, and I believe there are tips for what to do.

Personally I would try and avoid all carbs up until you went to the party.

Also, just try your best to avoid what carbs you can! No reason to go all out and be a pig! I had to attend a lunch meeting for work and I forgot to bring food. They provided pizza I just ate the toppings of my pizza and threw the crust away.

The toppings are the best part anyway.

Last edited by Laura D : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 18:38.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 06:34

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

If you have Protein Power, there is a lot of detail on "The Nutritional Vacation" starting on page 135, followed by Recovery Guidelines on page 137. (Sorry, but it's quite a bit of info to retype). In Protein Power LifePlan, there is information concerning "the honey tree" on pages 407-408. I believe they may discuss it more in the book, just couldn't find the reference in a hurry this morning. Either way - I think I would suggest you do as little damage as you can by sticking to the things you know are lowest in carbs and get right back into the plan immediately after . Good luck and enjoy your celebration
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:57

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Ok. I have VERY recent experience with this one. My most important piece of advice is to eat the biggest and the fattiest meat you can stand before going out. I got so freaking hammered last weekend off 2 TINY drinks because all they had available at the party was veggie stuff.

IT DOES NOT SLOW DOWN ALCOHOL LIKE MEAT AND CHEESE. I ate some cheese beforehand and a couple of boile eggs but I'm talking QUANTITY here ladies and gentlemen. I think only something like a slab of brisket would make things better. I cannot impart to you what a fierce hangover I had the next day. i had 2 less than 4oz, no sweet n sour mix margaritas and 1.5 Red Stripe beers over a 6 hour period - I was still spinning when I got home. I could not drink enough water!

Also, please hold off on the pain relievers until you're feeling better (marginally at least) into the next day. The large amount of protein some of us are consuming is taxing our livers already and it has been said that taking ibuprofen (advil, etc.) or acetominiphen (tylenol, etc.) with alcohol in your system, even just ONCE, has resulted in several people having to go in for liver transplant.
BOY, talk about a RAGING HANGOVER. Can you imagine, "Great time last night. Yeah, can you bring some flowers to hospital. I'm on my way in for a LIVER TRANSPLANT." Actually it probably doesn't happen just like that since you would have to find a donor first. Then aftewards, you'd be on anti rejection meds for the rest of your life. AND let me tell you those cause weight gain. My buddy got a kidney last Aug (diabetes).

Ok folks. No more french press for the Jinx (outta filter for drip). Might as well be a crack pipe. Word.
Have a great day and GREAT CINCO DE MAYO
Jinx

BTW: You should be able to find tons of low carb stuff at a Cinco Celebration! Those Mexicanos love they barbacoa, cabrito, carne guisada, oH my mouth is a watering...

Last edited by MsJinx : Thu, May-01-03 at 08:02.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:00

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hey Jil, one more thing, may I ask where you're located? I'm always looking for a good party . All that talk of fiesta! Me gusta la fiesta, hermana!

Hasta luego
Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Thu, May-01-03 at 08:04.