Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 09:50
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%
Angry Geez HIGH cholestral

I have read all Dr Atkin's books and I know what he says about high cholesterol and this WOL but I got my numbers back last week and they are horrible. So no more deviled eggs for me but I am still eating red meats. I was off and on plan a bit these last few months, but have been back on 23 days now

Anyone else with high cholesterol? What do you still eat?? I have moved to Egg Beaters, but you can't make deviled eggs with them.

UHG!!!!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 09:57

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

What are your numbers? My cholesterol has dropped to 149, and I'm still on induction.......
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:04
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnue
I was off and on plan a bit these last few months, but have been back on 23 days now

IMO, there's your answer. I really think you can't mix it up and expect to get the good results you'd get from staying on plan - whether it be induction or maintenance. I don't think it's your deviled eggs, it's combining eating those atkins-friendly foods with NON atkins-friendly foods. Stick to the plan for a few months religiously then recheck - I bet they would be different. Good luck and congratulations on reaching your goal!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:07

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I too had high cholesterol about 6 months ago.. it had gone up 50 points from 2 years prior and 100 points from when I was doing low fat

my problem I believe was TOO MUCH dairy.. ive now completely cut it out of my eating (also because I tend to stall on it.. im addicted!)..

right now I use either ground beef or ground turkey (Ill eat beef for 4 -5 days then turkey for a week or so etc).. I eat artichokes and use olive oil

I also have replaced eggs with egg beaters.. never was too big a fan of HB eggs so it suits me fine..

instead of cheese I use a soy cheese, but not alot.. I also eat shredded cabbage/broccoli slaw mix and I dont eat mayonnaise anymore (I used to eat it every day)

now most of these changes I didnt do on purpose.. I mean I MEANT to change my diet a bit after I got my numbers back, but initially I didnt. It has only been the last month and a half that Ive been eating these things (im not much for variation so honestly I only eat those things)

once a week maybe Ill have carbcountdown milk or an LC ice cream..

anyhow.. I took a cholesterol test last week and will get the results this week.. will let you know

oh yeah.. did you fast for 12 hours before your test? the last test I took i had eaten lunch RIGHT before the test and a big fatty meal the night before.. I didnt know you should fast.. then again im not sure how much it would change it.. I also had done a fat fast for 2 weeks prior!

my suggestion: make some dietary changes but keep on LC.. Ill try and post some links for you when I get home from work tonight (im late!).. get your tests done again in 6-8 weeks (it only takes about 6 weeks for your numbers to change which is the GREAT news)

you can do this.. dont be discouraged..

EDIT TO ASK::: what are your ratios? because even though my cholesterol went up my ratios were WAY better than before.. my good cholesterol went up and tri down.. if your good cholesterol went up that will cause an overall raise

Last edited by peapod : Tue, May-16-06 at 10:12.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:11

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

BTW: I know you already knwo this.. but for alot of people when they first go on LC their numbers raise.. DR A said to get it rechecked in the future (I think he said wait 6 months? Im probably wrong).. he said its normal for it to go up initially but then it will go down if you stick to plan..

and yeah eating carbs will raise everything.. insulin, chol, BP..

if your numbers are dangerously high youll def want to make adjustments
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:13
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

peapod Thanks so much, I did fast 16 hours prior to the test and have low estrogen levels that may have affected it as well. Thanks so much for your input and would love to know your results.

gmmd, I am sure you are right.....

awordqueen, I just pm you!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:21

Stats: 205/149.6/125 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Definitely post your ratios and triglycerides. The LDL to HDL ratio can make a difference - also the amount of large LDL (good) and small LDL (bad). Making it about 1 specific number is too simplistic.
Also - there are a number of great threads discussing cholesterol here.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:40

Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

I had three tests, before, one month and six months. The one month was higher than the before. But the six month was very much improved.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 10:49
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

that is good to hear grandpa!!!

My numbers are so bad I am embarrassed to post them, but I will pm them if you want me to.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

egnue
the diet book Protein Power goes into detail about foods some people are sensitive to that can raise cholesterol. It was something called arachidonic acid but I don't remember exactly what foods it was in- I think it was red meat and eggs. I think the others are right too, sometimes it goes up maybe all the fat you're losing and then will taper back down.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:24

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
My numbers are so bad I am embarrassed to post them, but I will pm them if you want me to.

egnue,

Anyone who would judge you by your cholesterol is unworthy of being spoken to or interacted with at all. I'd like to think we're not like that, here.

The quality of our advice is as good as the data we have to go on, and if you don't want to post the numbers, well, there's probably little concrete advice we can share.

H
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:43
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Unhappy It is not the people here, It is my bad numbers.....

I fasted 16 hours prior to the test and had been back to strict low carbing only 3 days when I took the test. Prior o that the last few months I had been off and on plan. The Dr. wants me on Vitorin, I want to do this.

Total Cholesterol...........304
LDL (Bad) Cholesterol........198
HDL (Good) Cholesterol......40
Triglycerides...................113

What would best to stay clear of would be greatly appreciated and any other advice!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:56

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Quote:

I fasted 16 hours prior to the test and had been back to strict low carbing only 3 days when I took the test. Prior o that the last few months I had been off and on plan. The Dr. wants me on Vitorin, I want to do this.

Total Cholesterol...........304
LDL (Bad) Cholesterol........198
HDL (Good) Cholesterol......40
Triglycerides...................113

What would best to stay clear of would be greatly appreciated and any other advice!!!

The Vytorin is really not a bad idea. I take Vytorin. I was on Zocor for years. Taking Vytorin will help get the levels down much faster and you could always talk to your doctor about discontinuing it later if your numbers go down and stay down.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 13:29

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

My numbers were way higher than yours. LC severely brought them down. I think that the main thing you need to do is work the plan and stay away from excessive carbs. It is the insulin spike after too many carbs that will cause you to store the extra in the form of triglycerides. Your liver produces cholesterol. Did you have your levels checked before starting this WOE? They may have actually improved.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 13:35
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

I had them taken almost 2 years ago and they were 100% in the normal range and the total was well below 200.