Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/south beach
Stats: 194/159/155 Female 67inches
BF:????
Progress: 90%
Question Metamucil as a daily source of fiber????

I'm in my second week of "Low-carbing" and I keep getting "Bound-up", which is making my experience with this way of eating, uncomfortable.
Is it o.k. to take a tblsp. of Metamucil in 8 oz. of water daily to try to stay regular?
The front of the bottle says "Daily source of soluble fiber", but the back label says, " Do not use laxative product for a period of more than 1 week".
I'M CONFUSED!
What are other "Low-carbers" doing to stay regular?
thanks for your help.
~Bye bye 30~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 08:36
Atkins Groupie

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/250/150 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I prefer having ONE of the Atkins Advantage bars for my extra fiber as it tastes better and has a lot less carbs to account for in my daily totals There are several varieties and if you check the back label you'll see that the fiber listed in these bars are usually more than the Metamucil (I think the wafers have a total of 6 g of fiber). However Metamucil is fine...so is the Beneful (did I spell that right?) sugar free. That's the only catch. It has to be sugar free but with so many on low carb these days that isn't as difficult to find as it once was.

Secondly DRINK THE WATER.

Here's what I found on Metamucil http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Metamucil_...ce_Flavors.html:

DESCRIPTION
Metamucil contains psyllium husk (from the plant Plantago ovata ), a bulk forming, natural therapeutic fiber for restoring and maintaining regularity when recommended by a physician. Metamucil contains no chemical stimulants and does not disrupt normal bowel function. Each dose of Metamucil powder and Metamucil Fiber Wafers contains approximately 3.4 grams of psyllium husk (or 2.4 grams of soluble fiber). Each dose of Metamucil capsules fiber laxative (5 capsules) contains approximately 2.6 grams of psyllium husk (or 2.0 grams of soluble fiber). Inactive ingredients, sodium, calcium, potassium, calories, carbohydrate, dietary fiber, and phenylalanine content are shown in the following table for all versions and flavors. Metamucil Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Regular Flavor and Metamucil capsules contains no sugar and no artificial sweeteners; Metamucil Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Orange Flavor contains aspartame (phenylalanine content per dose is 25 mg). Metamucil powdered products and Metamucil capsules are gluten-free. Metamucil Fiber Wafers contain gluten: Apple Crisp contains 0.7g/dose, Cinnamon Spice contains 0.5g/dose. Each two-wafer dose contains 5 grams of fat.

ACTIONS
The active ingredient in Metamucil is psyllium husk, a natural fiber which promotes elimination due to its bulking effect in the colon. This bulking effect is due to both the water-holding capacity of undigested fiber and the increased bacterial mass following partial fiber digestion. These actions result in enlargement of the lumen of the colon, and softer stool, thereby decreasing intraluminal pressure and straining, and speeding colonic transit in constipated patients.

INDICATIONS
Metamucil is indicated for the treatment of occasional constipation, and when recommended by a physician, for chronic constipation and constipation associated with irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulosis, hemorrhoids, convalescence, senility and pregnancy. Pregnancy: Category B. If considering use of Metamucil as part of a cholesterol-lowering program, see Metamucil Dietary Fiber Supplement in Dietary Supplement Section.

Drug Facts
Active Ingredient:
(in each DOSE) Purpose:
Psyllium husk
approximately 3.4 g ................... Fiber therapy
for regularity

For Metamucil capsules each dose of 5 capsules contains approximately 2.6 gm of psyllium husk.

USES

effective in treating occasional constipation and restoring regularity

WARNINGS
Choking: Taking this product without adequate fluid may cause it to swell and block your throat or esophagus and may cause choking. Do not take this product if you have difficulty in swallowing. If you experience chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty in swallowing or breathing after taking this product, seek immediate medical attention.

Ask a doctor before use if you have:

a sudden change in bowel habits persisting for 2 weeks
abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting

When using this product:

may cause allergic reaction in people sensitive to inhaled or ingested psyllium

Stop use and ask a doctor if:

constipation lasts more than 7 days
rectal bleeding occurs

These may be signs of a serious condition.

Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

DIRECTIONS
For Powders: Put one dose into an empty glass. Fill glass with at least 8 oz of water or your favorite beverage. Stir briskly and drink promptly. If mixture thickens, add more liquid and stir. Mix this product (child or adult dose) with at least 8 ounces (a full glass) of water or other fluid. For capsules: Take product with 8 oz of liquid (swallow 1 capsule at a time) up to 3 times daily. Take this product with at least 8 oz (a full glass) of liquid. For Wafers: Take this product (child or adult dose) with at least 8 ounces (a full glass) of liquid. Taking these products without enough liquid may cause choking. See choking warning.

Adults 12 yrs. & older Powders: 1 dose in 8 oz of liquid. Capsules: 5 capsules with 8 oz of liquid (swallow one capsule at a time). Wafers: 1 dose with 8 oz of liquid. Take at the first sign of irregularity; can be taken up to 3 times daily. Generally produces effect in 12 - 72 hours.
6 - 11 yrs. Powders: ½ adult dose in 8 oz of liquid. Wafers: 1 wafer with 8 oz of liquid. Can be taken up to 3 times daily. Capsules: consider use of powder or wafer products
Under 6 yrs. consult a doctor

Laxatives, including bulk fibers, may affect how well other medicines work. If you are taking a prescription medicine by mouth, take this product at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after the prescribed medicine. As your body adjusts to increased fiber intake, you may experience changes in bowel habits or minor bloating. New Users: Start with 1 dose per day; gradually increase to 3 doses per day as necessary.

down at the bottom of the page on the link I posted above it gives you the CARBOHYDRATE COUNT. Pay attention to that...the capsules have 3 g carb; the powder has 12; the sugar free powder has 5; the original has 7; and the wafers have 17!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 09:14
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

The company's probably just covering themselves legally in case you have a medical problem that goes undiagnosed by taking Metamucil. It's very safe.

Myself, I prefer a more natuaral option than Metamucil. I just get a bag of pure psyllium husks at my HFS and mix it with at least 8 oz water in a shakeable cup. You MUST drink it IMMEDIATELY and you MUST follow it with at least 8 oz of water to make sure the husks don't stick in the throat.

But Metamucil is fine as long as you stay away from the products containing aspartame.

Another option is something like the Flax o Meal products which are breakfast cereals that are very high in fiber.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Aug-15-04 at 09:19.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/213/150 Female 6ft
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi byebye30... one thing I would like to suggest is make sure you are eating enough Veggies-

Especially the vegtables that are on the acceptable list for induction. All of them have tons of fiber which really help losen things up without having to add anything to them.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 14:01

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Fiber <> laxative, exactly

The trick to bulk-forming laxatives (all the fibers) is to understand what's going on in your system. If you're not eating enough fiber, then getting it from whatever fiber-forming product, be it psyllium or metamucil or tabs or whatever won't hurt.

The warning is really for the chemical products like magnesium and ex-lax and the others, which can be habit forming and mess with your electrolyte balance.

Fiber alone is just replacing what you would have been eating and your intestines work the same way as they would with "real" food, given enough water etc. as noted above.

Find a product that works with your tastes, budget, and lifestyle, and keep using it as needed to feel the way you want to feel.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 18:36

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I have tried the "new" (in Canada, anyhow) Metamucil caplets, but they just didn't do it for me.
Plus I got rather nasty cramps.
I recommend psyllium husk, which I get in bulk (no pun intended) at the health food store. Works reliably.
I've found myself quite "bound" eating this WOE, but I have needed some help in that area for several years.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 19:01

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Make sure you're eating plenty of veggies--especially cruciferous like broccoli and cauliflower, dark leafy greens, salad. Tons of natural fiber there.