Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 08:24
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%
Default Cream of Chicken Soup

After a sickly weekend and craving comfort food, I combined some recipes and came up with this cream of chicken soup. It was very filling and hit the spot!

Add water to stockpot. Boil together chicken (I used boneless breast and boneless thighs), chopped carrots, onions, and celery until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and allow to cool a bit. Depending on how much carb you want, you can either keep the carrots, onion, and celery or throw it out - it was just to season the chicken.

Chop up the chicken.

Dump out the stockpot and start fresh with chicken broth, the chopped chicken, 1 tsp of poultry seasoning, and the vegetables if desired (I used a little bit of the carrots, onion, and celery - maybe 1/4 cup of each). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add in 1/2 cup of heavy cream. I used the old "salt shaker" trick to thicken using xantham gum - sprinkle a little over the top and whisk until blended in, wait a few minutes and add more until thickened how you want it.

You can experiment with seasonings and add other vegetables as desired. I loved it just like it was! I stirred in some rice for my carb-eating family's batch and they loved it too!
Sponsored Links